M. Davidson and D. Brown expectations

The Plainsman

I think both will get rotational snaps as we have lots of bodies on the DL to rotate to stay fresh down the stretch like we we did in 2013. It will be good experience for them to really take the reigns of the DL in the next season or 2.

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

think we will get Lawson type first year productivity out of them or Cowert type?

Hard to say but Davidson sure seemed to have settled in nicely based on his performance in the A-Day game.

And, IMO, both seem to be a little more "grounded" than the latter.

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Both will be better than Carl Lawson was his freshmen year barring injury. Bank on it. 

That's high praise, and would be a huge contribution. 

7 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Both will be better than Carl Lawson was his freshmen year barring injury. Bank on it. 

Not sure about that. While I think both can really be good, I think Brown has a hard time cracking the rotation. Davidson seemed to have a very good spring and could potentially contribute.

I certainly could see CRG using Davidson to motivate Cowart more for the fall. Any contribution is bonus though.

I think it might be too much to expect for any true freshman to come in and just be dominant.  But I think Marlon Davidson in particular is going to be very disruptive and hard to handle for opposing offensive lines.  And that disruptiveness is going to make life a lot easier for Lawson, Adams and others in the front seven.  I think Derrick Brown just due to sheer physical size will be a contributor as well.  But Davidson is the one I think is going to make a serious mark this year.

I wouldn't leave out the other DT commit (Jackson) from playing some and being in the lineup during the season.

He has size and quickness...

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Of course, Davidson gets the advantage of playing opposite Carl if he gets in the rotation, which can only make him look better.

Lets also remember that Adams came in highly touted...  Can we expect at minimum his type of numbers?

My point being is as highly touted and no matter what is reported or rumored... All is a huge question mark going into the fall. 

Marlon? he's got freshman AA written all over him

D. Brown? he's still yet to go thru a practice with CRG & we're already a very solid 2 deep at his position. he'll be in the rotation tho

16 hours ago, WDavE said:

I wouldn't leave out the other DT commit (Jackson) from playing some and being in the lineup during the season.

He has size and quickness...

If (and I know it's a big "if" right now) Nick Coe makes it, and he can pick up on the basics, (a much smaller "if", but another "if" nonetheless) he will make plays that make us take notice. Here's to hoping they're all true freshman All-SEC standouts. 

War Damn Eagle (Rare 10)!

...my brown water for the evening. 

Davidson seems closer to Lawson than Cowart in terms of potential freshman productivity. It'd be nice to have another 2013 situation where you have one elite defensive end to bring along the other good one. 

I think we will see more "production" and PT from Marlon Davidson....he was here during the entire spring and I think it's easier for a true Freshman to contribute at DE than it at is at DT. Brown is an absolute monster and you can't coach 6'5 330lbs.

Either way, the future is very bright at DL.

I'm expecting better than Lawson production from MD and probably a little worse than Lawson production from DB. I think DB could provide better production but we are just too deep at DT which is an excellent problem to have! MD not only came in ready to play right out of highschool, but he also had the good fortune of coming in a position that we have struggled at for the last couple years. Anyone who has even some ability to play DE will need to contribute this year. As nice as our DL looks on paper we are still struggling from a pass rusher standpoint IMO. We'll see how the coaches make up for that whether it is moving a LB down or what if Lawson gets hurt again who gets after the QB?

maybe im alone on this, but im not buying the MD hype just yet.  are we basing this hype on him practicing with the first team?  in those same practices, they had Adams with the second team. Adams is our best DT.  coaches had other guys getting valuable reps in his place.  those guys aren't better than Adams.  what if the coaches are doing the same with MD.  what if BC is better but they just want MD to get the reps?

7 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

maybe im alone on this, but im not buying the MD hype just yet.  are we basing this hype on him practicing with the first team?  in those same practices, they had Adams with the second team. Adams is our best DT.  coaches had other guys getting valuable reps in his place.  those guys aren't better than Adams.  what if the coaches are doing the same with MD.  what if BC is better but they just want MD to get the reps?

i'm with you, Kerry. We have seen sooo many premature hype campaigns over the years I always like to take a "wait and see" approach before expecting any type of impact really. But I do think they will both see the field some getting reps.

4 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

He started in the A-day game....and his main competition for starting (Cowart) was completely healthy. Are you saying you don't expect MD to start right off the bat? If so who do you have starting at that spot?

7 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

Marlon's name was repeatedly brought up by coaches and players during the spring. The guy was bringing it every day in practice and he showed a maturity level not usually seen in freshmen. It was definitely more than just him starting on A-Day.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

He started in the A-day game....and his main competition for starting (Cowart) was completely healthy. Are you saying you don't expect MD to start right off the bat? If so who do you have starting at that spot?

I don't know who would start.  im just saying lets pump the brakes a bit and wait till he proves himself on the field. 

im sure Adams was completely healthy when they put him with the second team too. 

Archived