Toomer's Oaks on Fire

BigWhiskey91

53 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

From an article in the Plainsman about the arrest of Jochen Wiest in connection with this fire:

Gary Keever, horticulture professor, said he does not think the burned Toomer's Oak is dead — but the tree's future is not yet certain.

"Based on the initial appearance of the tree, I don’t think the fire has killed the tree," Keever said in an email to The Auburn Plainsman. "However, aesthetic death, when the tree declines to such an extent that it detracts from the landscape and there is little chance of it returning to its full grandeur, may warrant consideration of removal as a result of this act."...

Mr. CleCo - Many Thanks.

Dr. Keever (if you ever see this) - I would suggest, "aesthetics be damned." I do understand that even vertebrate animals can be dead-as-a-post long before the organisms' central systems ever realize it. As long as the oak lives, in any form, please nurture it as best can be. If it's pronounced dead, then plant another and nurture it as best as can be. I, for one, can take that either way.

WDE

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Aren't all Germans, Bama fans?

j/k

They were when they bombed Pearl Harbor...

3 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

Also from his book in photo looks like his face may have kissed the concrete when he was tackled...

A fraternity brother who lives in Auburn said several men chased him down after he ran from the girl in the video and expressed their displeasure while awaiting the police.

2 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

A fraternity brother who lives in Auburn said several men chased him down after he ran from the girl in the video and expressed their displeasure while awaiting the police.

Gave him a stern talking to did they? <_<

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Gave him a stern talking to did they? <_<

Probably used some of those enhanced interrogation techniques I keep hearing about.

4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Time will tell but it soundslike they may have to replace one. They aren't ruling it out.

Damn

Yeah, Keever was basically saying "Wait until spring and see."  I'm still thinking that the tree will recover fine. If you watch the video of the fire, it only lasts about three minutes and it moves so fast through the foliage and paper that it's not sustained in any one place for even that long. Just not sure that's enough time to really transfer enough heat energy to majorly damage the parts of the tree that are critical to survival and recovery, all of which are under the bark.

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Yeah, Keever was basically saying "Wait until spring and see."  I'm still thinking that the tree will recover fine. If you watch the video of the fire, it only lasts about three minutes and it moves so fast through the foliage and paper that it's not sustained in any one place for even that long. Just not sure that's enough time to really transfer enough heat energy to majorly damage the parts of the tree that are critical to survival and recovery, all of which are under the bark.

I could see this being the case, the tree could actually intensify its growth since it has been stressed a little bit. Lets hope so.

Question now are what steps can be made to stop it from happening again?

2 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I could see this being the case, the tree could actually intensify its growth since it has been stressed a little bit. Lets hope so.

Question now are what steps can be made to stop it from happening again?

Fire fighters. Or police need to post up at around 10 pm. It usually happens after then..

I really think the university should consider stopping the rolling for the season. It is an extreme position I know

2 hours ago, JTFazz said:

Probably used some of those enhanced interrogation techniques I keep hearing about.

They de-escalated the hell out of him.... er, Ummm... i mean the situation. 

BTW how thick is the Auburn Phone book now... and did they use THAT on him several times to find the number to call 911??

On a happier note, the a**hat's charges now include a felony count of criminal mischief that could come with a year in jail and $15,000 in fines... on top of his 2 misdemeanors of public intoxication and desecration of a venerable object.  

Put some type of fence around the tree.  Heck, electrify it if you want.  You could still roll the trees but not get close enough to put poison on the roots or set fire to the TP.

Archived