2017 3* WR Tamorrion Terry

ellitor

We would have been set big time at safety if we had not lost crime dog and that is nobody's fault. He was their third choice and a good choice and i am happy for him, but if he was still at AU we would have both Avery and Hunter at safety and be full there. Stuff just happens. I still dont think we have to have two more safeties because i feel pretty sure J. Dean will move to safety. As to Bird's list we cannot leave our Ryan Johnson if he will sign with us. He can play. I also think that taking TJ and TT would fill both the LB and HB needs wants and TT may can play the speed rush slot. Flexibility is what signing big LB athletes gives you. That is what Jimmy Johnson did at Miami back in the day. You can make those guys into whatever you need.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Remaining needs, IMO

1. Safety(2)

2. Speed end(1)

3. LB(1-2)

4. HB(1)

5. OT(1)

I would like to see AU get WR (Oliver) if possible since Terry is gone.  Is Avery still possible as S prospect, now that UL has lost their DC?

9 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

I would like to see AU get WR (Oliver) if possible since Terry is gone.  Is Avery still possible as S prospect, now that UL has lost their DC?

I think he was an EE. 

I'm thinking:

WR (1)

DE (1-2)

HB/FB  (1)

LB (2)

S (1)

I'm just not sure we need another OL but looks like it's going to happen.  They didn't ask me. I also think Dean and Williams (if he qualifies) move to Safety.   Take a WR only if he is a stud.

55 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Is Avery still possible as S prospect, now that UL has lost their DC?

No. They would need to lose their secondary coach. Even then Miss St would be the only threat since we lost CWMcG.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wasn't enrolled as of a few days ago.

If so, good for him.  Can't remember the article I saw that indicated he was an EE.  It was the first thing I checked when I saw his coach bolted for the SEC.  Does this make MSU the team to beat now?

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

If so, good for him.  Can't remember the article I saw that indicated he was an EE.  It was the first thing I checked when I saw his coach bolted for the SEC.  Does this make MSU the team to beat now?

He's an EE. I;m just saying he had not started class as of a few days ago.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just curious, who do you think we should've landed to put us in a better place?

Please don't read that as argumentative.

I can think of Solomon maybe, but he was always a hard pull. Also, I would've loved to have Bishop as a Safety.

My expectations for Auburn are pretty high, because I believe Auburn's potential is so incredibly high, so I pretty much always believe things can rightly be better than they are.  In general, I suppose I get frustrated about not understanding specific strategies and tactics rather than angry that coaches don't do what I want.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the department so I could truly say whether or not I think so and so is doing a good or bad job.  But I'm like that with the Ravens too.  I'm sure there's a reason they insist on throwing to a 15-yard route on third and short, but I have no freaking clue what it is.  Trying to take advantage of man coverage just behind the LBs, I guess.  Still seems like a low-percentage play for a critical down.  Moving on.

For the most part I don't care about class or player rankings (ratings are a bit different, but not much).  That's not what really inspired the comment.  Scouting and compiling prospect evaluations is an inexact art.  It's so subjective I can't bring myself to get too upset about it all.  I think meeting needs is always the highest priority---after that, I like loading up on blockers, tacklers and utility players.  A signing class often looks a lot different a year or so after NSD, so it's next to impossible to judge a class until it's ability to contribute is up.  Consider JJ's prospect class.  Of the dozen or so guys ranked ahead of him, only three or four did more for their committed school than JJ did for AU, which is not a whole helluva lot.  That said, I do think to a degree signing great classes becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to the popularity contest that is college football polls.  That's not the only factor, obviously, but it makes more of a difference than it should.  

Regarding could and woulds, most of Freeze's staff at Ole Miss has been there from the beginning.  They've had some excellent seasons, but this year was pretty bad overall.  Had they been able to hold the lead against FSU and been six points better against uat and Arkansas, they probably wouldn't have cleaned house.  In that case CWM might have stayed at Auburn, which could have yielded commits from Avery and Hunter.  (Womack might have retired anyway, and Kiffin probably have left too, so who knows.)  Those two and the guys we have would be an amazing haul.  Mess happens, so we roll with it.  But it could/would have been better.

I like Willis' upside, but Narcisse would have been a nice addition.  Same for Mond.  Can't win them all.  I like where we are with MW and Stidham, though.

I'm a bit concerned about Troxell's long-term health and availability.  I really don't like recurring soft tissue injuries, and that's an awful big dude to have a bad joint.  Probably won't need him for a few years, though.  In addition to his talent, having Ashley is huge when it comes to expectations for AT.  Still in a good place, but it could be better.  Adding another OL or two would be great.

DT recruiting deserves a bit of a groan right now, but some factors out of our control have greatly contributed to our current situation.  I see most projections have us looking for 1-2, and most of them are DE/DT hybrid types, but I always like big, broad, mean-ass 0's.  Someone like Marvin Wilson from over your way.

There are others that would have been nice adds.  I'm not overly concerned about it, though.  I believe we're poised for a strong finish.

No clue if that answered the question.

WDE!

10 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

My expectations for Auburn are pretty high, because I believe Auburn's potential is so incredibly high, so I pretty much always believe things can rightly be better than they are.  In general, I suppose I get frustrated about not understanding specific strategies and tactics rather than angry that coaches don't do what I want.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the department so I could truly say whether or not I think so and so is doing a good or bad job.  But I'm like that with the Ravens too.  I'm sure there's a reason they insist on throwing to a 15-yard route on third and short, but I have no freaking clue what it is.  Trying to take advantage of man coverage just behind the LBs, I guess.  Still seems like a low-percentage play for a critical down.  Moving on.

For the most part I don't care about class or player rankings (ratings are a bit different, but not much).  That's not what really inspired the comment.  Scouting and compiling prospect evaluations is an inexact art.  It's so subjective I can't bring myself to get too upset about it all.  I think meeting needs is always the highest priority---after that, I like loading up on blockers, tacklers and utility players.  A signing class often looks a lot different a year or so after NSD, so it's next to impossible to judge a class until it's ability to contribute is up.  Consider JJ's prospect class.  Of the dozen or so guys ranked ahead of him, only three or four did more for their committed school than JJ did for AU, which is not a whole helluva lot.  That said, I do think to a degree signing great classes becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to the popularity contest that is college football polls.  That's not the only factor, obviously, but it makes more of a difference than it should.  

Regarding could and woulds, most of Freeze's staff at Ole Miss has been there from the beginning.  They've had some excellent seasons, but this year was pretty bad overall.  Had they been able to hold the lead against FSU and been six points better against uat and Arkansas, they probably wouldn't have cleaned house.  In that case CWM might have stayed at Auburn, which could have yielded commits from Avery and Hunter.  (Womack might have retired anyway, and Kiffin probably have left too, so who knows.)  Those two and the guys we have would be an amazing haul.  Mess happens, so we roll with it.  But it could/would have been better.

I like Willis' upside, but Narcisse would have been a nice addition.  Same for Mond.  Can't win them all.  I like where we are with MW and Stidham, though.

I'm a bit concerned about Troxell's long-term health and availability.  I really don't like recurring soft tissue injuries, and that's an awful big dude to have a bad joint.  Probably won't need him for a few years, though.  In addition to his talent, having Ashley is huge when it comes to expectations for AT.  Still in a good place, but it could be better.  Adding another OL or two would be great.

DT recruiting deserves a bit of a groan right now, but some factors out of our control have greatly contributed to our current situation.  I see most projections have us looking for 1-2, and most of them are DE/DT hybrid types, but I always like big, broad, mean-ass 0's.  Someone like Marvin Wilson from over your way.

There are others that would have been nice adds.  I'm not overly concerned about it, though.  I believe we're poised for a strong finish.

WDE!

Marvin is a beast! Not just big, but a little nasty too.

14 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Remember. We are getting Tashawn Manning at DT & adding Alec Jackson there too so we are likely done there now.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Marvin is a beast! Not just big, but a little nasty too.

He certainly is.  Scary-looking profile pic too. 

I come from a family of fullbacks and nose guards, so I consider them my people.  When my dad and uncles played, offenses were comprised of three backs---quarter, half and full---and a bunch of guards...center guard, tight guards, tackle guards, end guards and a split guard.  The objective was to toss a bloated piglet down the well of the neighboring town.  That's been the family description for decades, anyway.

WDE!

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Remember. We are getting Tashawn Manning at DT & adding Alec Jackson there too so we are likely done there now.

Even though I knew TM was back, I somehow forgot he was back.  Can't explain it better than that.  Thanks for re-reminding me.

At any rate, I'd like to see both of them 50-100 pounds heavier.

What are our chances with Johnson?

WDE!

Just now, lionheartkc said:

E doesn't do chances. That's one of his policies.

he is a robot who only does concrete info and a strong yes or no.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

he is a robot who only does concrete info and a strong yes or no.

And the occasional hilarious one liner... and random off-topic segways into professional wrestling...

Just now, lionheartkc said:

And the occasional hilarious one liner... and random off-topic segways into professional wrestling...

lol THIS IS indeed a....... FACT!!!

Speaking of WR recruiting I have a Q.   247 still lists Nico Collins as one of our top 8 targets.  I haven't seen or heard anything about him with regards to AU in a long time .  I'm sure it's been discussed before (which I may have missed) but does anyone know what the deal is there? Is that Premium info?  I see he is CB'd to UGA by a bunch of folks. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, autan said:

Speaking of WR recruiting I have a Q.   247 still lists Nico Collins as one of our top 8 targets.  I haven't seen or heard anything about him with regards to AU in a long time .  I'm sure it's been discussed before (which I may have missed) but does anyone know what the deal is there? Is that Premium info?  I see he is CB'd to UGA by a bunch of folks. :dunno:

I can't claim certainty, but I honestly think a lot of these sites are lazy about the details. If you look at a lot of player profiles, they are crystal balled 100% to one school and hard committed to another. I think you just have to take it for what it is. I get far more solid info here, from guys like E who take the time to interpret everything that is out there.

7 minutes ago, autan said:

We were out of the running for him the moment D craig left for LSU. He was extremely tight with DC and we had a good shot with him till he left. Hes been loving michigan, bama and georgia lately.

1 minute ago, autan said:

CDC left about 11 months ago. That is being pretty lazy with updates.  Thanks Lion and G.

all of the info was behind pay walls. dont be to hard on us! 

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

all of the info was behind pay walls. dont be to hard on us! 

Not being hard or you or anyone on this forum. I was referring to 247 site. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  They've made a lot of updates over the past few months.  I guess they just overlooked that one.  Or maybe he is still a top target but target is so small it would take a one in a million shot.

1 minute ago, autan said:

Not being hard or you or anyone on this forum. I was referring to 247 site. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.  They've made a lot of updates over the past few months.  I guess they just overlooked that one.  Or maybe he is still a top target but target is so small it would take a one in a million shot.

nico and auburn have not been mentioned together for a long time.

4 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

WDE!

Good post right here. 

I think Willis is going to be good. And AU should get a pass on the DL. Just not a lot of good prospects this year. Going to have to get a load in 18. 

Archived