Tuberville Stepping Down at Cincinnati

jared52

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Just so you younger fans know, pat dye was also athletic director when he was here

Yes, he was so successful we should name him Compliance Director. And Charles Barkley Sports Information Director. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Has he not been an effective AD? What business experience did he have?

Other than his name I know nothing of him or his business resume. I don't know if his hiring decisions and inability to manage them ever bit him in the ass like what we saw here in 2008. 

Just now, alexava said:

Other than his name I know nothing of him or his business resume. I don't know if his hiring decisions and inability to manage them ever bit him in the ass like what we saw here in 2008. 

What did we see in 2008?  Do you even know? Barry Alvarez is a lifetime football coach and a damned good AD for Wisconsin. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes, he was so successful we should name him Compliance Director. And Charles Barkley Sports Information Director. 

:dead:

21 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I would love to see Auburn bring someone in who is dynamic and sees the big picture. Now, the 64 thousand dollars question is who is this person and more importantly will he or she take the job.:dunno:

Tim Cook?  :P

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

What did we see in 2008?  Do you even know? Barry Alvarez is a lifetime football coach and a damned good AD for Wisconsin. 

we saw a mutiny. tubs hires a OC who was a total change from what it had been. he never gave him the support or authority to implement his system. the assistants didn't cooperate at all. there was no chain of command and no leadership. the offense was terrible and the team was divided over that and the qb situation. he lost his own team to the point of embarrassment. you might be too young to remember, google it.  i have not seen him display that type of administrative skill at all.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

we saw a mutiny. tubs hires a OC who was a total change from what it had been. he never gave him the support or authority to implement his system. the assistants didn't cooperate at all. there was no chain of command and no leadership. the offense was terrible and the team was divided over that and the qb situation. he lost his own team to the point of embarrassment. you might be too young to remember, google it.  i have not seen him display that type of administrative skill at all.

Well what the hell he wasn't AD then. He made some bad decisions but then again, who hasn't? Your post reeks of hyperbole.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Well what the hell he wasn't AD then. He made some bad decisions but then again, who hasn't? Your post reeks of hyperbole.

Administrator he is not. that is why the team broke down. he was in control but he wasn't. no clarity or roles. you don't totally change offense just half way and forget to tell your longtime assistants. i don't see how the facts that drove him out of auburn are taken as hyperbole when considering him at an administrative position. he was a decent coach who couldn't recruit worth a damn but got a lot out of lesser rated players. we were always competetive, actually good on defense.

Wasn't saying Dye was a good AD, was just saying that head coaches don't always make good AD's.    As a matter of fact, Dye was a terrible AD.   Money was never spent on upgrading any other athletic facility while he was there.    

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:23 PM, WarDlowe said:

I wish Tubs nothing but the best.  He gave me a 4-0 record against the Turds during my years in school on the Plains and some of my favorite games I still love to talk about.  Love him or hate him, the guy gave us a good decade of football.  An AD? I don't know. 

I loved Tubs, and was beyond mad when he resigned. It was hard to understand why a coach who beat the crap out of the turds for several seasons, resigned and had a lot of  fans who turned on him. As far as an AD is concerned, Tubs would be a huge step up from Jacobs.  I think he would catch on quickly and turn out to be a very good AD over time. It will not happen though, so I guess my post is a moot point.

On 12/5/2016 at 5:32 PM, alexava said:

he was a decent coach who couldn't recruit worth a damn but got a lot out of lesser rated players. we were always competetive, actually good on defense.

Yeah...."decent"

He was a really good coach against top ten competition, but always struggled against a no name mediocre team at least once a year, and didn't recruit worth a crap.  Always had good defense and special teams, but always played the percentages and conservatively ground out the clock.  He isn't the riverboat gambler he was in the younger years for sure. Great run against Bama when they were down, but we didn't take enough advantage of that before they got Saban.  8 and a half wins a year, and 4 losses. Won some big games and had a couple of great years.  Better than decent.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:21 AM, aujeff11 said:

He was better than decent. 

'99=5-6

'00=9-4

'01=7-5

'02=9-4

'03=8-5

'04=13-0

'05=9-3

'06=11-2

'07=9-4

'08=5-7

IMO, he was avg to decent. More than anything he was inconsistent and always choked against inferior teams. Always had a good D, but could never put it all together. He was good at developing talent, but sucked at recruiting it.  He coached in a weak SEC west and only put it together 1 time on a team loaded with NFL talent. If he was at AU today, fans would be demanding his head and would've been fired after year 4 or 5.  85-40 is barely what I would consider decent and when looking at who he lost to in would say it drops him down a notch. Tuberville's overall win pct is .618...To compare, Bielema's is ..655. I know nostalgia will tell some otherwise, and I get my opinion won't be popular, but that's what I think.

I tend to cut him a little slack for his 1st year after Tater Tot's debacle and his last year with the Tony Franklin debacle.  The meat of his tenure he was more of a 9-4 to 10-3 coach which is average to good.  Everything you said about his tenure is true though.

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I tend to cut him a little slack for his 1st year after Tater Tot's debacle and his last year with the Tony Franklin debacle.  The meat of his tenure he was more of a 9-4 to 10-3 coach which is average to good.  Everything you said about his tenure is true though.

I agree with his first year, but his last was all on him. He Should have had his assistants toeing the line

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I'd like to see our new press fire Jacobs and hire Tuberville as our AD.

What qualifications does he have to run a mulitfaceted, multimillion dollar company?

On 12/12/2016 at 4:11 PM, bigbird said:

What qualifications does he have to run a mulitfaceted, multimillion dollar company?

He beat bama 6 times in a row.  Doesn't that qualify you for any position you want? (Sarcasim, for those who were wondering).

Archived