Tuberville Stepping Down at Cincinnati

jared52

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

He beat bama 6 times in a row.  Doesn't that qualify you for any position you want?

And we wonder why we can't win 10 back to back

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, bigbird said:

What qualifications does he have to run a mulitfaceted, multimillion dollar company?

What qualifications does Barry Alvarez have that TT didn't have? A business degree?

19 hours ago, bigbird said:

'99=5-6

'00=9-4

'01=7-5

'02=9-4

'03=8-5

'04=13-0

'05=9-3

'06=11-2

'07=9-4

'08=5-7

IMO, he was avg to decent. More than anything he was inconsistent and always choked against inferior teams. Always had a good D, but could never put it all together. He was good at developing talent, but sucked at recruiting it.  He coached in a weak SEC west and only put it together 1 time on a team loaded with NFL talent. If he was at AU today, fans would be demanding his head and would've been fired after year 4 or 5.  85-40 is barely what I would consider decent and when looking at who he lost to in would say it drips him down a notch. Tuberville's overall win pct is .618...To compare, Bielema's is ..655. I know nostalgia will tell some otherwise, and I get my opinion won't be popular, but that's what I think.

Bird, I agree with you about Tubs. He was mediocre at best and could lose games to lesser competition at the drop of a ball/hat. 2004 was his signature "lightning in a bottle" year never to be seen again. For all the naysayers about Gus, I did a little research on saban's first five years as a head coach and compared it to Malzahn's. saban's was 34-37-1 for a winning percentage of .589 compared to Gus's first five years as a head coach was .688, and saban was in three bowl games during this five year period and LOST all three. Also saban has been a head coach for 28 years and has "resources" available to him that we and the rest of the SEC don't have and we all know what the "resources" are. Let's just all take a deep breath and let Gus find his way to being a successful head coach. sabam has a 23 year head start on him.  Recruiting is going very well and I think we will be back in the hunt in the very near future. JMO, WDE!!!

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do any of you here know Tubs? If you did you would know that he isn't a AD type. Reading this thread could make me lose all faith in the AU people. Wow just wow. 

Every time I see this or someone mention Takeo Spikes for a coaching position. 

Just now, alexava said:

Every time I see this or someone mention Takeo Spikes for a coaching position. 

Or Rocker to replace McGriff

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

9ab.png

How is that bait? Deflection, typical for you.

Barry Alvarez was a lifetime head coach that has done well as AD. Explain why Tuberville couldn't. If you think this is baiting you then you are lost. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do any of you here know Tubs? If you did you would know that he isn't a AD type. Reading this thread could make me lose all faith in the AU people. Wow just wow. 

I highly doubt Tubs would be any drop off from Jay. I don't even care for the Tubs for AD conversation. I think Tubs was better than "decent" and that is my issue. Even if y'all don't think he was better than decent, y'all scoff at Tuberville knowing a lot of people still have a huge respect for him like y'all want to pick a fight so be it.

Why Tubs was better than decent

-He got his players up for the big games

-He beat Bammer

-He had great defenses 

-He could develop players

-He had a .680 win percentage at Auburn (better than Gus or Chizik)

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

Tuberville's overall win pct is .618...To compar

Tuberville was .686 at Auburn. I don't care about his stints at Ole Miss, Cindy, or Tech. Bielimas stats are largely padded by his Big 10 days. Bielima has a .500 win percentage in the SEC and you're going to throw this worthless stat at us. SMH

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

How is that bait? Wow you're such a coward.

Barry Alvarez was a lifetime head coach that has done well as AD. Explain why Tuberville couldn't.

We have explained why he wouldn't. You only have Barry Alvarez to say he would. By your logic all long term head coaches would make great ADs?

The question was is he a decent coach. Did he stop coaching after auburn? No, therefore should be held accountable for his coaching tenure.  He is a lifetime .618, that's avg...and when you look at who and how he lost game is makes him even less of one. He coached in a weak division and struggled. If he was coaching in the SEC West today he would be about as good as bielema and Mullen. I'm sorry one of your favorites isn't as good as you've propped him up to be in your own mind. Many apparently agree with me about where he stands as a coach. Its your opinion and I and many others disagree. Get over it, jeffy. 

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I highly doubt Tubs would be any drop off from Jay. I don't even care for the Tubs for AD conversation. I think Tubs was better than "decent" and that is my issue. Even if y'all don't think he was better than decent, y'all scoff at Tuberville knowing a lot of people still have a huge respect for him like y'all want to pick a fight so be it.

Why Tubs was better than decent

-He got his players up for the big games - 

-He beat Bammer

-He had great defenses 

-He could develop players

-He had a .680 win percentage at Auburn (better than Gus or Chizik)

Tubs could win one he shouldn't but would lose two he shouldn't. 

Tubs was good. Could have been a lot better had he not been so loyal to some of his coaches and got cross with the AD. Jay damn sure derailed Tubs in the end. But Tubs didn't do himself any favors. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

We have explained why he wouldn't. You only have Barry Alvarez to say he would. By your logic all long term head coaches would make great ADs?

No, you continue to misread. People are scoffing at the idea of HC jumping to AD. I'm pointing out the jump has been done before, so why are y'all acting like Tuberville cannot do a job that dumb Jacobs is currently doing.

I'm not saying all HC's would great ADs. That post doesn't even insinuate that.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

No, you continue to misread. People are scoffing at the idea of HC jumping to AD. I'm pointing out the jump has been done before, so why are y'all acting like Tuberville cannot do a job that dumb Jacobs is currently doing.

I'm not saying all HC's would great ADs. That post doesn't even insinuate that.

Tuberville was not an administrator see the 2008 debacle. Look back into this thread. He was a mediocre coach who mismanaged his staff and made bad hires. He excelled at developing 3 stars to play defense. that is it. It was a huge embarrassment ( the end of his tenure ) for auburn. He was either incompetent or heavily distracted.  Either way , not your typical AD. 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Tubs could win one he shouldn't but would lose two he shouldn't. 

Tubs was good. Could have been a lot better had he not been so loyal to some of his coaches and got cross with the AD. Jay damn sure derailed Tubs in the end. But Tubs didn't do himself any favors. 

This is fair. A lot of dumb decisions were made. Tuberville brought stability for a while at Auburn tho. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm rewriting history but that is pretty much what we needed. Lot of great times too. 

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The AD's job is to play politics with boosters.  You think that sounds like the job for a guy who spent his entire career here at war with boosters? You may think that Jacobs is "dumb"; but Tuberville has literally zero qualification to do what an AD actually does.  Nor does he have the persona or mindset to actually do the job as required.

Tuberville as AD is a purely comical suggestion; of course this suggestion isn't really that surprising coming from people who seemingly think that former players are the only people qualified to coach at Auburn.

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

The AD's job is to play politics with boosters.  You think that sounds like the job for a guy who spent his entire career here at war with boosters? You may think that Jacobs is "dumb"; but Tuberville has literally zero qualification to do what an AD actually does.  Nor does he have the persona or mindset to actually do the job as required.

Tuberville as AD is a purely comical suggestion; of course this suggestion isn't really that surprising coming from people who seemingly think that former players are the only people qualified to coach at Auburn.

Well like I said I don't care to have Tuberville as AD. I understand that he is way too low key for the job and he'd rather be duck hunting. But let's not him bash him as HC to prove a point. 

Seriously, if you're so desperate to have an "Auburn Man" as the next AD, go get in Bo's ear.  He knows how to run successful businesses, is a master at playing politics and getting what he wants, and you can bet no one is going to cross him, because he's Bo.

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

SMDH

lol I'm hoping you at least found the humor in it whilst shaking your head

Archived