President Trump suggest cancelling meeting

TheBlueVue

with Mexican Pres Pena Nieto.

Donald J. Trump ?@realDonaldTrump 36m36 minutes ago

The U.S. has a 60 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico. It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers...

This is awesome especially since Nieto suggested he may not attend the meeting in the WH with Trump if he's going to insist on Mexico paying for that wall. The simple question is..who has the upper hand here? I'm thinking Nieto will meet with Trump and decide if he wants to pay now or later because the writing is on the "wall" folks....Mexico will pay!

Donald J. Trump ?@realDonaldTrump 33m33 minutes ago

of jobs and companies lost. If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexico isn't paying for a damn thing.  Speaker Ryan has already said that we are paying for the wall up front.  Once we pay, why would Mexico reimburse us for something they don't want?  Here's what's going to happen:

1) U.S will pay for the wall via tax-payers money.

2) Mexico won't reimburse because they have no desire or reason to do so.

3) Republican leadership will claim that Mexico is paying for the wall via the U.S. government not sending aide or some other form of "payment" that isn't really a payment.  It's just shifting numbers around of U.S. tax dollars that were already being spent in the first place.  Either way, don't expect Mexico to cut a check.

How about us just stopping the foriegn aid we provide Mexico with? The last listed amount I can find was 51 million in 2013. That should be a couple of miles of fence.

3 minutes ago, WDavE said:

How about us just stopping the foriegn aid we provide Mexico with? The last listed amount I can find was 51 million in 2013. That should be a couple of miles of fence.

That's such a drop in the bucket though.  The wall is projected to cost around $9 billion.  If we just cut the $51 million in aide, it would take 176 years to complete.

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's such a drop in the bucket though.  The wall is projected to cost around $9 billion.  If we just cut the $51 million in aide, it would take 176 years to complete.

15-25 billion and anyone who still believes Mexico pays is an idiot.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

I was literally about to post the same article.  Amazing that people don't truly understand how free trade works and how it lowers costs of goods for the highly consumer based economy that we as Americans support.  Not saying that there can't be improvements to NAFTA, but to eradicate completely is amazingly short-sighted.

53 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Mexico has a $60 BILLION trade surplus with the USA and the value of their currency is directly tied to that. Nieto's decision is a bad move for Mexico and notinh but his response to political pressure he's getting in Mexico.  I'm betting this isn't even close to being over. He'll come around once he realizes he's not dealing with a fraud who draws phony red lines in the sand.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fx-currency-market-update-january-26-2017-2017-1

4 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

Mexico has a $60 BILLION trade surplus with the USA and the value of their currency is directly tied to that. Nieto's decision is a bad move for Mexico and notinh but his response to political pressure he's getting in Mexico.  I'm betting this isn't even close to being over. He'll come around once he realizes he's not dealing with a fraud who draws phony red lines in the sand.

You know they are a much smaller country, right?

7 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

The reason Mexico has that surplus is to feed the demand of the U.S. consumer.  It's really a very capitalistic principle that I'm arguing for here.

So here's my question for you.  Let's say a television currently costs $350 because it's made in Mexico.  Are you willing to pay nearly double that so that it can be made 100% in the U.S.?  Now, extrapolate that across a number of different products, including produce, and you start seeing the folly of this.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So here's my question for you.  Let's say a television currently costs $350 because it's made in Mexico.  Are you willing to pay nearly double that so that it can be made 100% in the U.S.?  Now, extrapolate that across a number of different products, including produce, and you start seeing the folly of this.

A better question is why worry? Do you really believe Mexico is really such a fine ally when they are enjoying a $60 billion trade surplus? Stop wringing your hands over a hypothetical that doesn't hold water because it'll never happen.

49 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

15-25 billion and anyone who still believes Mexico pays is an idiot.

Mexican drug cartels will pay for all the tunnels that will be going under the wall, so there is that...

2 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

A better question is why worry? Do you really believe Mexico is really such a fine ally when they are enjoying a $60 billion trade surplus? Stop wringing your hands over a hypothetical that doesn't hold water because it'll never happen.

It's not a hypothetical if we completely revamp the trade agreements currently in place, which POTUS has said he intends to do.  I care less about a trade surplus and more about what it does for the U.S. economy and the consumer.  I tend to take a more holistic view of our economy than just pinpointing it on one country or trade agreement, but Mexico does play a large role in providing the U.S. lower costs goods and produce.  And because they do benefit from trade with us under NAFTA, we have yet another ally on the world stage, one that we actually send very little federal assistance to in the grand scheme.  From my point of view, that's a good thing.

2 hours ago, TheBlueVue said:

Mexico has about 40% of our population - and far less purchasing power than that - and they are a bad ally because they sell us more than we sell them?

Insanity.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Pound fell after Brexit.

Oh, right. EXACT same situation here. :thumbsup: 

So here's the first plan proposed.  It's a 20% tax on Mexican imports.  You all do realize this means you, the consumer, will end up paying for this wall?  The tax will merely be passed on to the customer, because corporations aren't going to eat into their own profits.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-seeks-20-pct-tax-on-mexico-goods-to-pay-for-wall-crisis-deepens/ar-AAmhywM?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Trump's first foray into foreign policy as pr*sident a bigger disaster than his taco bowl tweet

If there was ever any question about how Donald Trump's ahhhmazing negotiating skills would work out in the realm of foreign policy, Mexico's complete and total rejection Thursday of talks with our new pr*sident answered it. Now, the cost of the wall will be passed on to U.S. taxpayers one way or the other and Trump has likely sparked a trade war with Mexico in the process.

Remember Trump on the trail: 

"I know the best negotiators in the world."

"We will have so much winning if I get elected that you may get bored with winning."

"I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall.

Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell today:

House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said today that Congress will forge ahead with plans to approve funds for President Donald Trump's border wall, which they estimate will cost $12 billion to $15 billion.

"We intend to address the wall issue ourselves, and the president can deal with his relations with other countries on that issue and others," McConnell told reporters at a GOP policy retreat in Philadelphia.

That ship has sailed, McConnell. Trump, less than a week into being pr*sident, has already worked his magic. U.S. taxpayers now on the hook for tens of billions. Anyone bored with all the winning yet?

Can't wait to see Trump renegotiate the Iran nuclear deal.

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1625610

7 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Wow.... anti-Trumpers write a story bashing Trump !! 

#FakeNews. 

Cool.  Read the one I posted.  It's from freaking Reuters, not a left-wing site or anything of the sort. 

Archived