The US just dropped the 'mother of all bombs' on an ISIS target in Afghanistan

MDM4AU

The US just dropped the 'mother of all bombs' on an ISIS target in Afghanistan

The US has deployed the largest non-nuclear bomb in its inventory on an ISIS target in a remote part of far northeast Afghanistan, according to the Pentagon.

Four US officials with direct knowledge of the mission said the US had dropped the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast Bomb, aka the "Mother of All Bombs" or "MOAB," over the Achin district of Afghanistan's Nangarhar province, which borders northwest Pakistan.

Continue reading here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-moab-mother-of-all-bombs-isis-afghanistan-2017-4

Hope we only hit what we intended to. Thing has a blast radius of a mile.

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Thing has a blast radius of a mile.

That's impressive. I did not know that.

8 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

That's impressive. I did not know that.

You learn these things playing Call of Duty. ;)

20 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Hope we only hit what we intended to. Thing has a blast radius of a mile.

I have read something similar and like you I hope this was a remote area where we knew only the bad guys existed. Something that powerful could easily cause collateral damage to innocent people if they were in that area.

BOOM! Wake up in hell.

5 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

BOOM! Wake up in hell.

"**** these 3 square miles and everything inside of them."

In all honesty, my guess is that Trump has been itching for an excuse to use this thing since he found out we had it. Which I imagine happened yesterday afternoon.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I wonder what Trump was eating at the time of the decision?

Trumps-Premium-Presidential-Jelly-Beans-

2 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

In all honesty, my guess is that Trump has been itching for an excuse to use this thing since he found out we had it. Which I imagine happened yesterday afternoon.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Lol'd again. 

Can't remember if it was a moab or some old school daisy (slightly smaller). But in '03 or '04 they dropped one in Iraq. Nowhere near where I was, still felt like the Earth was about to rip apart.

It's a good way to placate the people, if they believe you have the power to tear the fabric of reality they are more likely to listen to you. :)

6 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

If you can believe what people say, the military made this decision without getting approval from the White House . At this point , Trump seems to be giving the military leaders a lot of discretion. 

Based on media reports (CNN, Fox News), it seems to have done what it was supposed to do ... to weaken the infrastructure of the tunnels and kill bad guys in the process. No civilian casualties were reported so far, but 36 ISIS members. 

Can't help but think the timing of this is also coordinated with the aggressive rhetoric as of late to "Get in line or we will bomb you", with an indirect finger pointed in North Korea's direction. 

I live about 20 miles from where they tested a smaller one (Eglin AFB) and even though the test was announced well in advance. Scary having your house shake.

30 minutes ago, WDavE said:

No the war is not over but there are several red lines in the sand that don't exist any longer.

What "red line"?   You do know this occured in Afghanistan, don't you?

Archived