Democrats Mull Politicizing Iraq War Intelligence

TitanTiger

WASHINGTON — Fox News has obtained a document believed to have been written by the Democratic staff of the Senate Intelligence Committee (search) that outlines a strategy for exposing what it calls "the administration's dubious motives" in the lead-up to the war in Iraq.

The memo, provided late Tuesday by a source on the Committee and reported by Fox News' Sean Hannity, discusses the timing of a possible investigation into pre-war Iraq (search) intelligence in such a way that it could bring maximum embarrassment to President Bush in his re-election campaign.   

Among other things, the memo recommends that Democrats "prepare to launch an investigation when it becomes clear we have exhausted the opportunity to usefully collaborate with the [senate] majority. We can pull the trigger on an independent investigation of the administration's use of intelligence at any time — but we can only do so once ... the best time would probably be next year."...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,102206,00.html

So, the main issue isn't really getting to the bottom of things, but doing so in such a way as to maximize it's usefulness as a campaign weapon. Getting at the truth can wait until "next year" because getting at the truth only matters if we can hone it into a political issue.

So, the main issue isn't really getting to the bottom of things, but doing so in such a way as to maximize it's usefulness as a campaign weapon. Getting at the truth can wait until "next year" because getting at the truth only matters if we can hone it into a political issue.

Did you expect anything different?

hannity got all worked up over this last night on the show...

wanting to make it into a BIG deal.

poor colmes was left there to bring his "i think this is bad, but don't you want to know the truth..." questions into it. usually he just says, "yes, but didn't YOUR side do this previously...what do you say about that!"

Sounds good to me...we'll just see how Dubya cooperates with the 9/11 commission that he's stonewalling NOW.

Yes, I don't understand why he is covering for Clinton. Any 9/11 investigation can only point to the severe lack of commitment by the previous administration to address the threat from Osama...

Unless of course, this 9/11 commission is just another Democratic political attack from Congress, like the one just uncovered...

My point exactly. The Democrats aren't interested in truth...unless it can be used against Bush. If it hurts them they want it suppressed. If it's of no political use to them, they aren't interested at all.

rexbo, the current 9/11 commission is headed by Thomas Kean, a Republican former governer, and is made up entirely of ex-politicians and attorneys created by Congressional legislation and signed by G.W. Bush. Governer Kean has been very vocal about the lack of cooperation by the Bush administration. The "mad dog Democratic" theory seems pretty flimsy.

Titan, if this were simply a timing ploy by the Dems, I doubt they would be so vociferous about the 9/11 commission that is getting stonewalled RIGHT NOW.

We can pull the trigger on an independent investigation of the administration's use of intelligence at any time — but we can only do so once ... the best time would probably be next year."...

Yeah, this is all on the up and up! No politicizing here at all! :roll:

Who's shrouding the truth in secrecy??? Who's not answering questions??? Who's witholding documents??? Not Congress, not the Senate, not the Democrats or Republicans. The Bush administration is hiding something that they are very afraid will see the light of day.

Interesting how "you don't know" all kinds of things related to the Reagan miniseries, yet with just as little real, proven information, you "know" the Bush Administration is "hiding something they are afraid will see the light of day."

Is the sky blue in your world?

If they weren't, I don't think they'd be acting in such a pointedly obstinate way. There are no security issues. All of the members of the commission and their staff members have received the highest security clearance. They were told by Congress, as a law, to investigate this tragedy and Bush signed it into law. Why, then, is he undermining their efforts? The only reason I can think of, if I were in his shoes, would be that there were things I didn't want them to know. Why wouldn't I want them to know everything that happened up to and including that day?

Exactly........and this surprises you. Wasn't it last year that some dems in California? or out west were caught with an open microphone talking about strategy on how to run a republican smear campaign.

If they weren't, I don't think they'd be acting in such a pointedly obstinate way.

And if the makers of the CBS movie were not trying to be harmful with false information, they would not have dropped the movie so quick when it was brought to light. :blink:

If they weren't, I don't think they'd be acting in such a pointedly obstinate way.

And if the makers of the CBS movie were not trying to be harmful with false information, they would not have dropped the movie so quick when it was brought to light. :blink:

You were dropped on your head when you were a child, weren't you? :P

Archived