Depth Chart for GaSo

djg0017

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go ahead and say what many are going to say.  Why is KJ returning KO?  While I don't necessarily have an issue with it I do know that many on here have said several times how much they hate him as a return man.  Other than that I am guessing that the lack of #3 at RB means there was no clear winner for #3 and that they will all split time to fight for that spot.

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

Depth at Holder?

True. This was a sneaky thing we lost when JF3 left. Surely someone can do it it Tyler can't.

I like it, Javaris Davis must have had a pretty good fall camp to keep himself ahead of Dean and not officially moved to Nickel. I think that will be interesting to watch as the season goes on. Might depend on the team we face for if Davis plays Nickel and Dean takes corner or Thomas plays nickel and either Davis or Dean are at corner.

WE definitely have a decent amount of depth at CB and N, but the lack of depth at both S positions is concerning, especially with some of the Matthews injury history.

3 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I'll go ahead and say what many are going to say.  Why is KJ returning KO?  While I don't necessarily have an issue with it I do know that many on here have said several times how much they hate him as a return man.  Other than that I am guessing that the lack of #3 at RB means there was no clear winner for #3 and that they will all split time to fight for that spot.

I hate it and that was my first takeaway. Aghhhh.

Somewhat surprised to see Daniel Thomas starting at Nickel.  Surprised to see Traivon Leonard and Jordyn Peters on the depth chart at CB, but not Malcolm Askew.  

Is Sal Cannella a Sophomore or a Junior?

What you've all said has been spot on what I'm thinking. I can see keeping KJ in for KO for experience purpose but IMO he's not a top 5 best returner on our team. Especially for GaSo I realllllly wanted to see Iggy returning kicks.. A super good game to give him experience because I think he's the future at KO. Also surprised Dean didn't take over completely as boundary CB. @WDEKC may be right though, it could depend on the style of team we are playing.

Biggest takeaway for me though: the starting OL is what we started to think a month ago. That's good. It means it was probably set then and those 5 guys have had a good while playing with 1st team. I think our OL could end up being one of the best in the country.

11 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

7 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I hate it and that was my first takeaway. Aghhhh.

4 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

What you've all said has been spot on what I'm thinking. I can see keeping KJ in for KO for experience purpose but IMO he's not a top 5 best returner on our team. Especially for GaSo I realllllly wanted to see Iggy returning kicks.. A super good game to give him experience because I think he's the future at KO. Also surprised Dean didn't take over completely as boundary CB. @WDEKC may be right though, it could depend on the style of team we are playing.

I will point out that this is the first game against a non-P5 opponent and the "first two guys off the bench" are true freshmen. KJ will still be back there against Clemson, too, but it's possible that one or both of those freshmen earn Gus's trust back there and they end up taking over the job as the season goes on. 

The fact that they're true freshmen also tells me that Gus has been open to somebody else taking the job; he's just been waiting on someone capable of doing it. 

He's quite possibly been playing it too safe with KJ, but I definitely see some logic at work here at least. 

16 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I don't know that they are expecting a lot of KO returns for them to really get much practice at.  I mean to start the game and then really that should be it...

HAHAHA jk  I would be blown away if we kept them scoreless

39 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Gus announced that Kam Martin is RB3 at the presser.

I'm curious as to rumors circulating about Sean White, Kam Pettway, and Kyle Davis suspended for the game. Gus shot it down but I'm more curious as to where it came from. These 3 haven't had an issue since they got here.

Just now, Charleston Tiger said:

I'm curious as to rumors circulating about Sean White, Kam Pettway, and Kyle Davis suspended for the game. Gus shot it down but I'm more curious as to where it came from. These 3 haven't had an issue since they got here.

Well since it is rumor and therefore not allowed on this board, I have not heard it.  hahaha

Hope it is not true though!

36 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Somewhat surprised to see Daniel Thomas starting at Nickel.  Surprised to see Traivon Leonard and Jordyn Peters on the depth chart at CB, but not Malcolm Askew.  

Is Sal Cannella a Sophomore or a Junior?

Cannella is a sophomore.

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

Well since it is rumor and therefore not allowed on this board, I have not heard it.  hahaha

Hope it is not true though!

Like I said, he knocked it down at his presser when someone asked if they would not be playing - I just am more curious where it came from. Read about it on message boards on 24/7 - they said they heard it from another site.

3 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Like I said, he knocked it down at his presser when someone asked if they would not be playing - I just am more curious where it came from. Read about it on message boards on 24/7 - they said they heard it from another site.

Weird. There were rumors last year Sean would be suspended for the Clemson game but turned out to be made up. Not that it mattered anyway since we played everybody in the bullpen.

20 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

I haven't heard of any issues with KP, but- and not to get anyone worked up- KD did miss all of spring for something that was neither injury-related nor a death in the family. As for Sean... well, there's been more than enough conversation about him the last couple seasons. 

20 minutes ago, Charleston Tiger said:

So glad Gus dismissed this before people get out of control 

Tega! Tega! Tega!

You heard what he said we are on double secret probation, what ever that means, one more strike and we're out Herb.

Tega! Tega! Tega!

I think they like it Gus.

I'm a tad surprised that Calvin Ashley is listed as 2nd team. Looks like he won't be redshirted after all. 

A little surprised to see Derrick Brown over Andrew Williams as well. Good to see Cowart in the mix too. 

initial impression is there are a lot of freshmen on that list. They are all in backup roles which is good but still alot listed and could be a problem if injuries happen early. Other than that....i'm excited to see how that OL group performs. I like the lineup on paper. I don't like have KJ and KR or Roberts at PR. Finally is TD a true DE now? 

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

initial impression is there are a lot of freshmen on that list. They are all in backup roles which is good but still alot listed and could be a problem if injuries happen early. Other than that....i'm excited to see how that OL group performs. I like the lineup on paper. I don't like have KJ and KR or Roberts at PR. Finally is TD a true DE now? 

I am also surprised that TD is listed at buck and not LB although maybe he will play both. Also big Cat is listed as an SDE which is surprising. 

And I would be surprised if we see Marlon this week. I think they will save him for next week. 

Archived