NBA Thread

aujeff11

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Can you blame the Bucks?

Bledsoe is a good player who had a bad first taste of the playoffs as a starter . Delly is on a bloated contract so that makes sense. Problem is everyone else knows that as well.

Not that I care much since I'm not an NBA fan but the idea that LaBron is soliciting other players to play on "his team" is unseemly in my view.    Guess there is not even a glimmer of a rule against tampering or interfering with the right of contract though maybe the free agency season means the same thing as open season.

None of you NBA fans bothered by this?    

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not that I care much since I'm not an NBA fan but the idea that LaBron is soliciting other players to play on "his team" is unseemly in my view.    Guess there is not even a glimmer of a rule against tampering or interfering with the right of contract though maybe the free agency season means the same thing as open season.

I’ve been bothered by all the player recruitment that is going ever since Lebron recruited Eastern Conference all stars to join him in Miami. ITS HIS FAULT.

This goes on in baseball as well though. I saw reports of a Yankee recruiting Manny Machado months ago. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Happens all the time. It has been going on for years and it is perfectly legal for players to do all the recruiting they want. It just cannot be a team official BEFORE the opening of free agency. It is what makes the NBA the most fun and exciting league to follow in the offseason. NBA twitter is absolutely fascinating, riveting and compelling theater to watch unfold with all of the recruiting being done in the open.

lol sacramento 

• Haha 1

PT Barnum said something to the effect that there is a " sucker born every minute" and that probably goes double in pro basketball. ...especially with the owners.  

Hard to believe he has been playing professionally for 14 or maybe 15 years though.   So how much has LaBron been paid and how many championships has he managed to recruit to "his" team to play for "his coach".....three I think which I guess is  pretty good but they cost the team owners a bundle....and maybe they were worth it....Not questioning his skill as a ballplayer but I do wonder about his ability to help lead a team to championships. 

But as I noted, whether it's been going on for years,  it does seem shady, especially when some of the contacts are being made (or interest floated) during the playing season....as is being done in baseball where it was suggested that Harper was "auditioning" for the New York Yankees in a recent series. 

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

PT Barnum said something to the effect that there is a " sucker born every minute" and that probably goes double in pro basketball. ...especially with the owners.  

Hard to believe he has been playing professionally for 14 or maybe 15 years though.   So how much has LaBron been paid and how many championships has he managed to recruit to "his" team to play for "his coach".....three I think which I guess is  pretty good but they cost the team owners a bundle....and maybe they were worth it....Not questioning his skill as a ballplayer but I do wonder about his ability to help lead a team to championships. 

But as I noted, whether it's been going on for years,  it does seem shady, especially when some of the contacts are being made (or interest floated) during the playing season....as is being done in baseball where it was suggested that Harper was "auditioning" for the New York Yankees in a recent series. 

To the money aspect of this post you do know the Clippers and Rockets were sold for like 1 or 2 billion a piece.So Lebron isnt putting a dent in thier pockets.

10 minutes ago, Southwest said:

To the money aspect of this post you do know the Clippers and Rockets were sold for like 1 or 2 billion a piece.So Lebron isnt putting a dent in thier pockets.

It’s the luxury tax’s that kill the owners. A team like GS will be willing to fork out hundreds of millions in L taxes as long as they keep winning. Is continuing to keep coming up short worth it, probably not. I asked before, is Lebron willing to take a discounted salary in order to join a championship team? It’s looking like no. 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can’t forget that they also had Oladipo. I enjoyed Harden getting roasted for his defense btw. 

Edited by aujeff11

34 minutes ago, Southwest said:

True....but that just confirms the "greater fool" theory popular in hot real estate markets...don't be the last person owning when the bubble bursts...?

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s the luxury tax’s that kill the owners. A team like GS will be willing to fork out hundreds of millions in L taxes as long as they keep winning. Is continuing to keep coming up short worth it, probably not. I asked before, is Lebron willing to take a discounted salary in order to join a championship team? It’s looking like no. 

He already took a discount before when he went to Miami. He sacrificed then. Time to get paid now towards the end of his career.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He already took a discount before when he went to Miami. He sacrificed then. Time to get paid now towards the end of his career.

He didn’t sacrifice anything of note. Wade did. He is already one of richest athletes in the world. He needs to be concerned with winning rings. His endorsement deals and entrepreneurial skills aren’t going to go away.

Edited by aujeff11

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He didn’t sacrifice anything of note. Wade did. He is one of richest athletes in the world. He needs to be concerned with winning rings. His endorsement deals and entrepreneurial skills aren’t going to go away .

ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- LeBron James and Chris Bosh are now members of the Miami Heatand both came at a cut rate.

The Heat's two newest superstars signed matching six-year, $110.1 million contracts, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher. Dwyane Wade took an even bigger discount to stay in Miami, signing for six years and $107.5 million, according to the sources.

Sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford that James and Bosh are scheduled to make $14.5 million and Wade $14 million in 2010-11 Each player took $15 million less over the life of the contract to sign with Miami, but the deals came with a caveat.

THEY  all took discounts. Wade just took a bigger one. 

Edited by GwillMac6

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- LeBron James and Chris Bosh are now members of the Miami Heatand both came at a cut rate.

The Heat's two newest superstars signed matching six-year, $110.1 million contracts, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher. Dwyane Wade took an even bigger discount to stay in Miami, signing for six years and $107.5 million, according to the sources.

Sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford that James and Bosh are scheduled to make $14.5 million and Wade $14 million in 2010-11 Each player took $15 million less over the life of the contract to sign with Miami, but the deals came with a caveat.

THEY  all took discounts. Wade just took a bigger one. 

The discount was chump change compared to tbe endorsement deals he brings in. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

The discount was chump change compared to tbe endorsement deals he brings in. 

lol why should he take a discount anymore? People LIKE YOU will just say you hate it when he chooses winning first and prioritizes that over salary because he ran to a better team and situation so he can have a better chance at more rings.. OR people will kill him for not acting like the superstar he is and getting all the money he can. He is in a now in situation like usual. So he is gonna kill you and the other bird and go to the team where he can be a contender AND still get paid.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

People LIKE YOU will just say you hate it when he chooses winning first and prioritizes that over salary because he ran to a better team and situation so he can have a better chance at more rings..

Says a guy that bitches at what KD did. Quit calling the kettle black. 

OR people will kill him for not acting like the superstar he is and getting all the money he can

Lol. Who? 

So he is gonna kill you and the other bird and go to the team where he can be a contender

In your wet dreams.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Says a guy that bitches at what KD did. Quit calling the kettle black. 

everyone kills KD. Not just me. I am just one of the MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIONS and millions. No one did what KD did before. And no one will do what he did later. If LeBron was to do what KD did that would mean he would go to the warriors.