NBA Thread

aujeff11

😱😆

• Haha 1

• Love 1

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Russell Westbrook doesn't necessarily put blinders on to remain unaware of the criticism that follows him around. He just doesn't care about it -- or so he says, adamantly.

"I've been blessed with the talent to not give a f---," Westbrook said on Wednesday. "And I don't, regardless of what happens."

Westbrook has been one of the league's most polarizing players since he entered the league as a rookie in 2008, drawing criticism for his aggressive playing style, shot selection and cantankerous demeanor, among other things.

He also has established himself as one of the great players of all-time, and certainly one of the most unique, with his breathtaking athleticism, relentless competitive spirit and single-minded approach to winning.

"It doesn't change the way I live, doesn't change the way I think," Westbrook said of criticism. "I have an unbelievable family, great friends, unbelievable life, unbelievable job, make a lot of money in my job. I'm extremely blessed, thankful, humble, haven't been in trouble, doesn't cause no problems. I'm perfectly fine. I'm living the best life, I can't complain one bit.

"He say, she say, what they say about me, what they say about shooting, passing, dribbling, I don't really care. Every year it's something. They gotta make up something about me. Which is fine. It's good. One thing I always know is, if they're not talking about you, then you're not doing something right."

This season, even as Westbrook has adjusted his approach to dominate the ball less and elevate teammates, which has helped push teammate Paul George into the top of the MVP conversation, there's been a fixation on Westbrook's slumping shooting numbers, which includes a career low 24.4 percent from 3 on 4.5 attempts per game.

"I've been disengaging that conversation since, umm, I started playing basketball when I was eight, about then," he said of paying attention to what people are saying.

Westbrook is on a historical run of triple-doubles, recording 10 straight to break Wilt Chamberlain's record set in 1968.

Westbrook is averaging a triple-double for the third consecutive season, after in 2017 becoming the first player since Oscar Robertson in 1962 to average a triple-double. Westbrook broke Robertson's mark for triple-doubles in a single season with 42 during his MVP-winning 2016-17 season, and sits only 12 away from passing Magic Johnson on the all-time triple-double list.

It's the reason I have the motto of 'Why not?'" he said. "It's what I really believe in, it's truly what I stand by because there are many people in the world that will let someone tell them they can or cannot do something. 'Oh, that can't happen again' or 'you can't do that again' or 'you may not ever see that again.' Those words I don't use in my vocabulary -- can't, never. That doesn't work. Well, why not me? Why not be able to change and do something to change the culture, change basketball, change the way it's played. I just think differently, man."

Known for playing with a chip on his shoulder, Westbrook pushed back on the idea the criticism or noise serves as extra motivation, though.

"No. If you do -- for what?" he said. "I stay even keel. The more even keel, the better. I don't need somebody to motivate me to be able to wake up and come do my job. I motivate myself to be able to be the best I can be in the world, regardless of what other people say, good or bad. People can pat me on my back every day, I'm gonna give you the same response. As you guys know, I don't change for nobody, for nothing. I do the same thing every night and I'm gonna continue to do that."

🗣🔥💯! No truer words have been spoken about the subject. 

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/05/27/pippen-mj-best-scorer-bron-best-player-to-ever-play-the-game/

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS (DALLAS OFFICE) — In Chicago, Scottie Pippen‘s name rhymes with winning.

Six NBA titles have a way of making that happen.

But Bulls fans had to cringe this morning when Pippen suggested, on ESPN Radio’s Mike And Mike In the Morning, that LeBron James, and not his former teammate, Michael Jordan, could end up being the greatest all-around player the league has ever seen.

No, seriously, Pippen said it:

“Michael Jordan is probably the greatest scorer to play the game,” Pippen said. “But I may go as far as to say LeBron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will but he keeps everybody involved. You have to be on your Ps and Qs on defense. No guy on the basketball court is not a threat to score with LeBron James out there. Not only will LeBron dominate from the offensive end as well, but he’s also doing it on the defensive end which really makes him the complete package. He’s able to get in those passing lanes, shoot those gaps and create transition opportunities where he is pretty much unstoppable.”

You lost us at “but,” Scottie.

And maybe it’s a generational thing. Maybe we’ve romanticized the Jordan era the same way our predecessors did the Magic-Bird era of the NBA or the old school crowd did the Celtics’ dynasty.

LeBron over Jordan right now, before LeBron actually gets his first ring?

That’s a tough sell here at the hideout. We know it can’t be going over well in Chicago. Not after last night.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/Pippen-Says-LeBron-May-be-Better-Than-Jordan.html

Has Robin betrayed Batman?

Scottie Pippen made some statements on an ESPN radio show Friday that may be tantamount to blasphemy, not only in Bulls land, but in the entire hoops universe.

Pippen called Michael Jordan the "greatest scorer to play the game," but reserved higher praise for LeBron James.

"I may go as far as to say LeBron James may be the greatest player to ever play the game because he is so potent offensively that not only can he score at will but he keeps everybody involved."

ordan supporters will no doubt mention that Pippen and Jordan won six titles together in the 1990s in comparison to LeBron's zero championships.

But Pippen calls James a "man on a mission" who's disproved doubters that said he can't make big shots. James led the Miami Heat to a series victory over the Bulls, closing things out with a 83-80 victory in Game 5 Thursday.

Pippen responded to the critical firestorm with a comment on his Twitter feedFriday morning:

"For all of you that don't know, I played the game you keep watching and cheering."

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/scottie-pippen-michael-jordan-lebron-james-debate-opinions-timeline-nba

Basketball Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen was once again asked about who he thinks is the better player between his former teammate Michael Jordan and Cavs superstar LeBron James, and he once again gave a different answer.

We’ll first start with what he said most recently to reporters at the Warriors’ practice. Below are the other opinions he has shared in the past.

On Friday, Pippen gave what he said is his “honest answer,” and he said he never wants to answer this question again. This was his most reasonable response. He cited various reasons for why it’s not fair to compare Jordan to James, while calling them the greatest players of their eras. He also said that he believes Wilt Chamberlain is actually the best NBA player of all time. Oh, and he noted that Jordan vs. James debates are like if someone debated Kareem Abdul Jabbar vs. himself.

Here’s Pippen’s full reply:

“I’m gonna give you my honest answer, and I hope I never get this question again. There’s really no comparison. Michael Jordan played in an era where the game was different. It was being refereed different than what LeBron is playing in. LeBron plays a different role than what Michael played as a player. In all fairness to Michael, he was never asked to do the things that LeBron do for his team. He had a lesser role, and statistically, that’s why you’er seeing LeBron numbers are far better than Michael Jordan’s numbers in terms of what he do the whole game because we didn’t utilize Michael to do things that the Cavs utilize LeBron for.

“The comparison is unfair. They played different positions. I know a lot of times we love answering the question because we want to hear the storylines behind it, but the truth of the matter is it’s not a fair comparison to LeBron or Michael. One guy is considered a two guard and one guy is considered a small forward. They definitely are great in their era. They’re both the greatest in their era, but to say who is the greatest, we will never know that.

“In my eye, Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest basketball player. But Michael and LeBron should never be compared. It’s almost like comparing Kareem to me. That wouldn’t be fair.”

Now, for the timeline of what Pippen has said leading up to this:

IN JUNE OF 2015, PIPPEN SAID THAT JAMES’ GAME IS MORE LIKE HIS THAN MAGIC JOHNSON’S OR JORDAN’S.

Pippen told Cleveland.com:

“They want to compare him to the greatest whether it be Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson, but he’s more closer to myself,” Pippen said. “It’s natural for folks to say that, but if you look at how he plays the game and how I played the game, you’ll see more similarities with us.”

IN MAY OF 2017, PIPPEN SAID JAMES HADN’T SURPASSED KOBE BRYANT.

Pippen told SportsCenter

“I don’t think he’s surpassed Kobe at all, no. And I don’t think he should be compared to either of those players (Jordan and Kobe) because they’re playing different positions. Kobe and Michael are both 2 guards. They’re both scorers. They’re mostly like a Kyrie (Irving) — they’re looking to score the basketball.”

ON DECEMBER 14, 2017, PIPPEN SAID JAMES IS “PROBABLY AHEAD OF JORDAN.”

Pippen told First Take: 

“The numbers don’t lie. He’s right there. He probably will never catch him in terms of MVP, but in terms of statistics, LeBron is right there. And when you look across the board — not just scoring — check his assists, check his rebounds … he’s probably ahead of Jordan.”

ABOUT A WEEK LATER, IN DECEMBER OF 2017, PIPPEN SAID THAT JAMES WON’T BE BETTER THAN *HIM* UNTIL JAMES HAS SIX CHAMPIONSHIPS.

When TMZ asked him about his comments saying James is better than Jordan the week before, Pippen laughed and said, “C’mon man, what? Are you kidding me? LeBron ain’t better than me until he get six titles.”

ANOTHER WEEK LATER, IN DECEMBER OF 2017, PIPPEN SAID HE PICKS JORDAN OVER JAMES.

This came after former president Barack Obama told BBC Radio that he picks Jordan over James. TMZ caught Pippen on the street again, and Pippen said he agreed with Obama and picked Jordan.

Maybe Pippen will stick to his most recent response from now on … or maybe not. Stay tuned!

LOL Pippen changes his answer constantly on this. Clearly he got his marching orders from MJ. MJ was not happy with his real unfiltered answer so he got his marching orders and has been carrying them out. Once a follower always a follower. He was always such a loyal beta bitch to MJ. 

Edited by GwillMac6

Edited by GwillMac6

hahahahaha Pippen changes his mind more often than Auburn fans change their opinion on Gus. He has the credibility of OJ if he was asked in a murder mystery if the husband did it?! lmao

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

LOL Pippen changes his answer constantly on this. Clearly he got his marching orders from MJ. MJ was not happy with his real unfiltered answer so he got his marching orders and has been carrying them out. Once a follower always a follower. He was always such a loyal beta bitch to MJ. 

I know I’ve said it earlier, but it’s really difficult to compare eras. I never watched Wilt play or Russell. So maybe one of them or another from their time was the best. Absolutely Lebron does a lot things that MJ didn’t do. The main point he made that I agree on was the whole “clutch” thing. Also the point he made about teams truly disliking each other back in the day. The Celtic/Laker hate was real (still is for me). Plus I like to tease a little bit about Bron. But I still have MJ in six in a head-to-head 😏

1 minute ago, aubearcat said:

I know I’ve said it earlier, but it’s really difficult to compare eras. I never watched Wilt play or Russell. So maybe one of them or another from their time was the best. Absolutely Lebron does a lot things that MJ didn’t do. The main point he made that I agree on was the whole “clutch” thing. Also the point he made about teams truly disliking each other back in the day. The Celtic/Laker hate was real (still is for me). Plus I like to tease a little bit about Bron. But I still have MJ in six in a head-to-head 😏

BUT BUT BUT LEBRON IS NOT CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

LOL He is 22 years old here. On the Road. ECF. 29 of last 30 points and 25 in a row. BUT HES NOT CLUTCH!!! BAHAHAHAHA. Of all The LeBron narratives this is the worst. 

16 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Doesn't Lew Alcindor/Kareem have 6 as well? Why do people discount him if they want to make ringgggggzzzzzz the end all be all? How about the disrespect shown to the captain your guy Bill Russell? Does not seem very fair to me. Kareem is the all time scoring leader as well. Kareem has more points and boards than MJ. LeBron has more Boards and assists than him and is about to pass him in points as well. AND LEBRON IS NOT EVEN A SCORER. People always forget that. He is a pass first dude. He averages the most points in game 7's in NBA playoff history. 34 ppg, 8 boards and 4 assists. LeBron is MR game 7. To boot he averages the most points per game when facing elimination in NBA history as well. 33, 10 and 7 when his teams are in win or go home games. The man is very clutch. The narrative that he is not? Is not clutch at all. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/25/17391262/lebron-james-king-elimination-games

bron.jpg

Edited by GwillMac6

• Like 1

tr.jpg

• Love 1

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Doesn't Lew Alcindor/Kareem have 6 as well? Why do people discount him if they want to make ringgggggzzzzzz the end all be all? How about the disrespect shown to the captain your guy Bill Russell? Does not seem very fair to me. Kareem is the all time scoring leader as well. Kareem has more points and boards than MJ. LeBron has more Boards and assists than him and is about to pass him in points as well. AND LEBRON IS NOT EVEN A SCORER. People always forget that. He is a pass first dude. He averages the most points in game 7's in NBA playoff history. 34 ppg, 8 boards and 4 assists. LeBron is MR game 7. To boot he averages the most points per game when facing elimination in NBA history as well. 33, 10 and 7 when his teams are in win or go home games. The man is very clutch. The narrative that he is not? Is not clutch at all. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/25/17391262/lebron-james-king-elimination-games

bron.jpg

Russell gets the whole era argument. His critics discount his success and say it was because of a lesser talented league. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

BUT BUT BUT LEBRON IS NOT CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

LOL He is 22 years old here. On the Road. ECF. 29 of last 30 points and 25 in a row. BUT HES NOT CLUTCH!!! BAHAHAHAHA. Of all The LeBron narratives this is the worst. 

Wrong, most accurate descriptor of him. It’s not like it’s just Pippen is the only one who’s said that he doesn’t have the killer instinct. Jordan, Bryant, Bird, etc... straight killers. Bron not so much and it’s not like I’m saying he’s not not great or anything. And to address the rings post. They do matter but it matters in the way they were won. Most of Kareem’s success in later years was seen as Magic’s. If just winning one was all that counted Horry would be somewhere in the top right? 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Did you watch the game?  I didn't have a chance although I did record it.  If so, do you think the reason we lost was because Shroder and Grant were absent?  It appears to me Westbrook is getting back into his element @WFE12 and right at the time I said it would happen too.

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Did you watch the game?  I didn't have a chance although I did record it.  If so, do you think the reason we lost was because Shroder and Grant were absent?  It appears to me Westbrook is getting back into his element @WFE12 and right at the time I said it would happen too.

I haven't questioned anything but his shooting which I think he will struggle with all season if he takes a lot of shots. I heard a stat that they're 20-4 when he takes like 10 shots or something like that.