what are the keys to beating Georgia?

aubiefifty

i checked out some ga comments about the game. some ga fans are worried and glad it is not a night game. some claim kj is not that good and they will shut him down forcing stidham to win the game. and they think with pressure he folds like a cheap suit. i have seen very little of ga so i have no idea as to their weaknesses. what say yee auburn fans?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven’t been able to watch a lot of their games. However looking at their schedule they have only played two solid opponents in Notre Dame and Mississippi State. They control games by running the ball with Chubb and Michel and playing lockdown defense.  We will have to make sure that their run game doesn’t get going early. We will also have to hit a few big plays to soften up their defense.  Got a feeling this is going to be big boy football at its finest. Gotta win in the trenches to have a chance. War Eagle! 

I’ve watched every Georgia game this season, and their secondary has been a weakness (refer to their Missouri game when it was a shootout for the first quarter). Jake Fromm hasn’t had to throw much because their run game has been the focal point of their offense (sound familiar?), so it’ll be interesting to see how he’ll handle that pressure if our defense stops their run game.

Like others have said, their pass defense is definitely a weakness. They haven't played a defense like ours yet. If we can give Stidham time, he'll have a big day. As long us Gus doesn't intervene, we should win by 2 TDs  

This game will be won or lost by the decision making and play calling on the sidelines by the 2 HC's. I don't like our chances when it comes down to the Gus. Hope I am wrong, I want a win over the dawgs as much as anyone.

15 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Haven’t been able to watch a lot of their games. However looking at their schedule they have only played two solid opponents in Notre Dame and Mississippi State. They control games by running the ball with Chubb and Michel and playing lockdown defense.  We will have to make sure that their run game doesn’t get going early. We will also have to hit a few big plays to soften up their defense.  Got a feeling this is going to be big boy football at its finest. Gotta win in the trenches to have a chance. War Eagle! 

In the Miss State game the dawgs burned state for two long TDs right off the bat  MSU defense stacked up to stop the run and boom.......the MSU bullies were cooked before they even knew they were in the pot.  Played from behind the entire game and Fitzgerald is not much of a passer either. 

JMO but he secret as noted above is to make them one dimensional.....and...score early so we .do not have to play from behind by more than a TD.

Defense wins big games: Consistently true. So my answer is Defense and no turn overs.

Stop their running game! Provide protection for JS. Their d line was not getting much push against the gamecocks. Test that secondary of theirs. Win the turnover battle.

Georgia's stout up front and I think AU's going to have trouble running up the middle which is our bread and butter. Like most here I think trying to pass the ball more on early downs is our best chance to move the ball. Their pass rush hasn't been great the times I've seen them but Kirby will prob send some extra defenders considering how our line has struggled to block the better pass rush teams.
I thought earlier that the AU defense would do the same to UGA, but the past few games have me really concerned about being able to stop the UGA ground game. Frohm has been protected from having to do a whole lot, but he looks pretty good to me when they turn him loose. Lots of weapons at all the skill positions for UGA and our secondary play has been pretty spotty lately. I'm sure Steele will stack the line to stop their running attack but that will expose our DB's to some big plays. Im hoping somehow the defense can return to their earlier season form. 

57 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i checked out some ga comments about the game. some ga fans are worried and glad it is not a night game. some claim kj is not that good and they will shut him down forcing stidham to win the game. and they think with pressure he folds like a cheap suit. i have seen very little of ga so i have no idea as to their weaknesses. what say yee auburn fans?

I honestly don’t believe uga is as good as Clemson. Might be wrong but just haven’t seen it yet. Again this is Gus’s game to lose. If we lose it is directly Gus’s fault. 

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

So if the offense turns it over 5 times, it’s CGMs fault?  Or if special teams craps the bed?

If special teams craps the bed it is CGM's fault. They have been subpar all season. Mainly punting, punt return defense and kick off return defense.

Ironically, the keys to stopping UGA are the same a song stopping us offensively. Stop the run and keep them in obvious passing situations. 

The issue is that over the last few weeks, the defense has started allowing more plays of 30yds or more which is going to be devastating with UGAs run game. 

Offensively, we have to find ways of attacking them through the air. Even if we continue our lack of intermediate passing, the quick outs and screens on first down will keep the offense ahead of schedule. Avoiding 3rd and long will go along way in getting a 20/27 Stidham performance rather than a 9/26 Stidham outing. 

Special teams could be the difference in this one. It could end up like 2015 where a punt return for a TD was the difference. Good news is Atleast we have Stidham and Johnson healthy rather than last two seasons of going in to this game with massive ???s

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

If special teams craps the bed it is CGM's fault. They have been subpar all season. Mainly punting, punt return defense and kick off return defense.

Fg unit as well. Carlson struggled early and last weekend blocking was horrid. Malzahn made changes to the staff which impacted our special teams unit so I agree. 

5 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Fg unit as well. Carlson struggled early and last weekend blocking was horrid. Malzahn made changes to the staff which impacted our special teams unit so I agree. 

I'm willing to give Carlson a pass for his slow start this year. It's hard to maintain the level he has for as long as he has as a kicker. Being a place kicker is a funny thing sometimes. 

The blocked field goals are unacceptable especially to have two in the same game.

• WarTiger changed the title to what are the keys to beating Georgia?

I have watched a lot of uga this year . I live in uga and watch in hoping they lose every week . As posted up top I think everybody is on same page of what we have to do . They have 3 really good backs who all run with power , and are just plain all around good backs. They rotate those guys beautifully and those guys stay fresh all game . I think one of the main keys for us is rotating our d-line , linebackers as well in order to keep them fresh to finish the game . The tough call is how much can we rotate without giving up to much in the first half . 

South Carolina played 8 in box all day , secondary was trying to keep everything in front all game so uga was getting away with easy curl routes etc which led to some descent RAC yard after catch . Hopefully our D will be good enough to not have to stack box as much and put pressure on Fromm to make difficult throws .

with our pass pro and Stidham indecision sometimes Kirby is licking his chops to draw up some blitz that will confuse our guys up front .

In all UGA is definitely beatable , but will come down to a lot  of coaching decisions which is scary for us .

War Eagle !! 

6 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I'm willing to give Carlson a pass for his slow start this year. It's hard to maintain the level he has for as long as he has as a kicker. Being a place kicker is a funny thing sometimes. 

The blocked field goals are unacceptable especially to have two in the same game.

Yeah I’m not gonna blame players for the issues. If they are struggling, that’s fine. We absolutely have no one that can replace Carlson let alone any other team having anyone better. So if he struggles so be it. But like ou said, it’s the blocks. Which could be lapses in assignment but still up to the coaches. Really the upsetting portion has been the kick and punt return defense. 

Make routine plays, rpo plays and stidham legs will win us the game. The read option will be a big weapon for AU . GA can’t keep holland off of fromm. AU can win 

make fromm. make decisions. hes young and we need to exploit that. I think it is a little more than makimg them 1d. Have to get back to forcing teams to sustain drives instead of hitting a big play.  TAM game would have been a blowout if bot for a couple big plays.

On O, need to break tendencies and be more aggressive. can't just run up tge middle or throw bombs.  Need to have solid pass pro and keep j.s clean

As many others have said, make them as one dimensional as possible. They rotate backs every other play and sometimes every play. Their run game is no joke, but if we can limit it - Fromm isn't that great.

The lack of an intermediate passing game will likely cost us against UGA and UA. Have we ever had a receiver/QB combo to recognize a wide open middle of the field and break off a route, or change routes depending on the coverage? I love Kodi Burns but damn he must have googled how to coach WR.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i say you lost your shift and caps buttons.

Archived