what are the keys to beating Georgia?

aubiefifty

44 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Making Fromm's jersey turn a greenish/brown will be a good start. And lets not give UGA any points when they don't have the ball.

Stidz was brought here to win games like this because our run will be taken away. This is big game #2 for him. Clemson was first game in 2 years so I'll give him a pass. LSU the coaches did not put him in a position to succeed. 

Stidz probably is going to need to throw for a balanced 300 for us to win this game. I mean getting 100-130 of those yards on just 2 passes probably won't be enough to cut it. I see our rushing stats being significantly below average this weekend so we will need to open up the pass. I think UGA will force Stidz to beat them and while I think we have the QB to do it I'm not sure if our coach will put him in a position to do so.

we might have to used mid field passes to get the job done.  

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first 3 keys to winning this game are

#1 Stop the run

#2 Stop the run

#3 Stop the run

We have to make Georgia win through the air.  Not saying Fromm can't do it but we don't have a prayer in this game if we let them establish the run game.

We must have dump off options in the pass game instead of long routes that take forever to get open.  Over and over again this season it has reared it's ugly head where nobody is open or there is no time to wait for them and Jarrett has to take a sack because there is no short routes being ran to dump off to.

NOW IS THE TIME TO USE THE CENTER OF THE FIELD IN THE SHORT PASSING GAME AND USE OUR BACKS ON SCREENS.

We run the same plays every week.  Same personnel, same plays.  Same runs; same passes.  Texas A&M ate our lunch on some of the stuff we did because they studied it, recognized it, and ran to it.  We can not continue to have a gameplan for running the ball that is between the tackles behind Cox.  It's a different hole but same play every time.  Kerryon following Cox or a pulling guard up the middle.  

After a week off to get healthy and self evaluate, I hope to hell we played as vanilla as possible in the Texas A&M game.  If we didn't and that is what Gus is bringing to the gun fight on Saturday against UGA it is going to be really really ugly.  Lots of 3 and outs and a worn out defense that plays it's heart out until halftime but succumbs to getting tired.

PS:  Please coach the D-Ends to actually read the zone read.  How many times did our D-Ends just blow up the field to the QB why the RB ran right by them?????????????

I hope like hell I'm wrong but Ugag 45  Good guys 17. 

26 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

we might have to used mid field passes to get the job done.  

Yup and curiously enough, it will be the one area of the field where we won't throw the ball

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Where is the position coach in your order of blame?  If you have potential, isn’t it Kodi Burn’s responsiblity to coach him up?  Didn’t Gus hire Kodi?  I agree with that NCM is the first to blame, but your order is a little skewed IMO.

Maybe but who knows if he is responding ? 

There are half a dozen guys out there catching passes in any given game....sometimes more.....all coached by the same guy (Kodi)  I presume.     At some point the coach has done what he can do........and the player has to accept the responsibility to perform. ...JMO. .  

So maybe Kodi is in between Chip and JS?  

We'll beat Georgia by emulating how Carolina beat Atlanta on Sunday:  Establish a foundation with a fierce, attacking defense and then execute on offense with a creative mix of plays.

That, and good special teams play. 

I think we have the personnel do do this,  but I still question if we are capable from a coaching standpoint.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but who knows if he is responding ? 

There are half a dozen guys out there catching passes in any given game....sometimes more.....all coached by the same guy (Kodi)  I presume.     At some point the coach has done what he can do........and the player has to accept the responsibility to perform. ...JMO. .  

So maybe Kodi is in between Chip and JS?  

NCM just doesn’t seem to have the fire in his belly to excel.  He still has two more years to mature and the light to be turned on.  It’s up to him.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

NCM just doesn’t seem to have the fire in his belly to excel.  He still has two more years to mature and the light to be turned on.  It’s up to him.

Like you, I'm hoping the light comes on because he seems to have all the physical tools to dominate at WR. 

There are 2 keys in my mind.

1) Protect JS.  He still seems a little gunshy when the pocket starts to collapse.  Sometimes he looks down right afraid.  I fully expect CKS to stack the box with 8-9 and bring the house until we beat them with a few throws.  If we try to make every pass over 30 yards then we are going to be in for a rough afternoon.

2) Stop the run.  UGa has some great RBs.  Both of the main RBs run with power & precision.  That OLine has gotten better each week and really enjoyed pushing folks around.  I am not saying that Fromm can't beat us with his arm, but if we give up 100 yds in the first half to UGa, like we did aTm, then we are in for a rough afternoon.

"But that is just my opinion...  I could be wrong"

Shut down the run and force Fromm to beat us.  Our secondary is good enough to match up 1-on-1 with their receivers.  Stop the run enough and we get them into 3rd and 7+, then let Holland and crew loose.

On offense, throw, throw, and throw more early using quick passes.  Their secondary is their biggest weakness.  Open up the game and then hit the run later as their defense adjusts to the passing game.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Nope.....saw him out there when the refs tossed a flag on him for holding....and lost a first down.  

But otherwise, he's not been much of a factor....for which I blame people in the following order....NCM,  Lindsey Stidham and finally Gus. 

Considering how many other receivers are getting open at some point NCM has to be part of the factor.  The other receivers have the same coaches. I am not sure what the issue is but I just don't see him getting open. He might be the type of receiver who could take away the fifty fifty ball But Stidham doesn't throw unless they are open in most cases.

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Where is the position coach in your order of blame?  If you have potential, isn’t it Kodi Burn’s responsiblity to coach him up?  Didn’t Gus hire Kodi?  I agree with that NCM is the first to blame, but your order is a little skewed IMO.

Where do you guys get NCM as being the first in order of blame? He has looked good when given the chance. I saw at least once last game where he was open behind the sticks, but the pass went instead to Ryan Davis, I think, who was short of the first down and covered. You could have drawn a straight line from Stidham to NCM and had it pass through Davis, so it's not like Stidham wouldn't know NCM was open for the first.

Of everyone in our WR corps, I trust NCM the most when it comes to pulling down a 50/50 ball.

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Considering how many other receivers are getting open at some point NCM has to be part of the factor.  The other receivers have the same coaches. I am not sure what the issue is but I just don't see him getting open. He might be the type of receiver who could take away the fifty fifty ball But Stidham doesn't throw unless they are open in most cases.

Good observation....he's definitely the kind of guy who can out wrestle a DB for a pass but  as you note, JS does not deliberately throw a pass that requires the receiver to "go and get the ball". ....most are to open receivers and the ball placed where the defender does not have much of a shot at it.   A good attribute for a QB I guess but sometimes you have to let the receiver earn the catch too. 

4 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Where do you guys get NCM as being the first in order of blame? He has looked good when given the chance. I saw at least once last game where he was open behind the sticks, but the pass went instead to Ryan Davis, I think, who was short of the first down and covered. You could have drawn a straight line from Stidham to NCM and had it pass through Davis, so it's not like Stidham wouldn't know NCM was open for the first.

Of everyone in our WR corps, I trust NCM the most when it comes to pulling down a 50/50 ball.

NCM talent is not in question.  He can snatch passes out of the air like he did against Arky and has sure hands. The problem is he obviously does not have the trust of Gus and we all know, if you don’t have Gus’ trust, you don’t play or get targeted.

Therefore, NCM must conform to Gus’ demands and that maybe difficult to do being a talented, yet young receiver.  JMO, but I see no other reason NCM is not targeted more often, heck our #80 was targeted more and he dropped every pass thrown to him on Saturday.

36 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

NCM talent is not in question.  He can snatch passes out of the air like he did against Arky and has sure hands. The problem is he obviously does not have the trust of Gus and we all know, if you don’t have Gus’ trust, you don’t play or get targeted.

Therefore, NCM must conform to Gus’ demands and that maybe difficult to do being a talented, yet young receiver.  JMO, but I see no other reason NCM is not targeted more often, heck our #80 was targeted more and he dropped every pass thrown to him on Saturday.

If Gus didn't trust him he wouldn't be on the field. If on the field and open then that is the QB's fault. I have gotten off the Gus bus and I can understand not liking Gus's stubbornness, unimaginative play calling, but when one receiver is on the field as much as NCM is and ball is not being thrown his way but lots of other receivers are getting the ball thrown to them then the issue is between the QB and the receiver or the receiver is not getting open.

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good observation....he's definitely the kind of guy who can out wrestle a DB for a pass but  as you note, JS does not deliberately throw a pass that requires the receiver to "go and get the ball". ....most are to open receivers and the ball placed where the defender does not have much of a shot at it.   A good attribute for a QB I guess but sometimes you have to let the receiver earn the catch too. 

I suspect he has been coached to do that.  Some coaches see a long 50/50 pass as a great play if it works, and no worse than a punt if it does not, but I do not think Gus is one of them.  I also think Stidham at least sometimes suffers from the same problem that Baker Mayfield has:  holding on to the ball too long looking for the big play, instead of taking the open target for the 1st down.  I would rather Stidham just take the chance and throw it when he is doing that, as the sack is likely to result in a punt anyway.

Everyone is going to mention the the obvious.  Making them one dimensional by stopping the run and winning the turnover battle but that's true in every game.  This game is no different then that.

For me it's things like poise/leadership/composure/hidden yardage/intangibles.

Poise is can Stidham keep his eyes downfield when he see a blitz coming and step up and throw and accurate ball.  He did on the deep post to Slayton last week.  On the other side can true freshman Fromm be poised in the same situations as stated for Stidham.

Leadership.  Who gets their team ready to play and mentally focused.  This is both players and coaches.  From and AU perspective can we play loose enough to play fast and not play out of control.  On the UGA side do they let their guard down knowing they have the East wrapped up and probably can lose this game and still beat GT and bammer/AU and still make the playoffs.  

Composure.  Can the players and coaches.  Especially Gus keep it together if we are down 13-10 early in the 2nd half and Stidham throws an interception or do you see that same Gus shot on the sideline with him grabbing his head like it's in a vice.  How does Chenney handle not being able to run the ball and move the chains consistently having to rely on Fromm to balance out the attack.

Hidden Yardage.  You know that 6-8 yard difference on each punt exchange.  Not kicking into the endzone when punting while having an opportunity to pin someone inside the 15.  Big returns.  Turnovers in the kicking game.  These can completely turn a game in a heartbeat.  2 good defenses.  Punting and special teams will be very important.  

Intangibles.  Who's got that "moxey".   Who has the confidence?  Who plays tight and who plays loose?  

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I suspect he has been coached to do that.  Some coaches see a long 50/50 pass as a great play if it works, and no worse than a punt if it does not, but I do not think Gus is one of them.  I also think Stidham at least sometimes suffers from the same problem that Baker Mayfield has:  holding on to the ball too long looking for the big play, instead of taking the open target for the 1st down.  I would rather Stidham just take the chance and throw it when he is doing that, as the sack is likely to result in a punt anyway.

Probably but all those long passes on 3rd down against LSU could have had that in mind perhaps.....but as it turned out, nobody caught anything in the second half.  In the Clemson game we lost all of the 50-50 balls they floated out to their receivers.  Maybe the defenders were too worried about PI calls ?  

No question that Gus pushes hard on the "no mistakes" philosophy which can maybe cut back on aggressiveness? 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If Gus didn't trust him he wouldn't be on the field. If on the field and open then that is the QB's fault. I have gotten off the Gus bus and I can understand not liking Gus's stubbornness, unimaginative play calling, but when one receiver is on the field as much as NCM is and ball is not being thrown his way but lots of other receivers are getting the ball thrown to them then the issue is between the QB and the receiver or the receiver is not getting open.

One other possibility is he is very seldom the primary target.  You also have to define “open” as it applied to Stidham and/or Gus.

In general, UGA's mantra all season from the coaches to the players based on interviews with Smart and the some of the players is that UGA's goal in each game is the physically whip their opponent and make their opponent want to quit on the field.  THAT is the intensity they are going to bring Saturday.  We have to match it.

wde

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

In general, UGA's mantra all season from the coaches to the players based on interviews with Smart and the some of the players is that UGA's goal in each game is the physically whip their opponent and make their opponent want to quit on the field.  THAT is the intensity they are going to bring Saturday.  We have to match it.

wde

This. This. This. We absolutely must man up and play big boy football. We have to win individual battles. They will bring a physicality we've not yet seen. We have to match it and then some. Attack!!!

On 11/5/2017 at 1:33 PM, Tiger96 said:

Like others have said, their pass defense is definitely a weakness. They haven't played a defense like ours yet. If we can give Stidham time, he'll have a big day. As long us Gus doesn't intervene, we should win by 2 TDs  

Honestly don't see how Gus doesn't intervene in this contest. His destiny probably comes down to how we perform against thUGA and bammer. I just hope the 'magic' he once had somehow returns....and QUICK !

3 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

There are 2 keys in my mind.

1) Protect JS.  He still seems a little gunshy when the pocket starts to collapse.  Sometimes he looks down right afraid.  I fully expect CKS to stack the box with 8-9 and bring the house until we beat them with a few throws.  If we try to make every pass over 30 yards then we are going to be in for a rough afternoon.

I agree 100%. Stidham looked like toast in the first half of the TAM game - nervous and unsure. It is obvious that he has the tools but needs to step up even more in this game and make QUICK decisions. He needs to be the player that takes over the game or we won't stand a chance. This is the reason we recruited him. 

He is going to get hit. He is going to have to gut it out. What I don't want to see is him take a sack early and it turn into the Clemson game where he worries more about the pass rush than completing a pass. That was terrible to watch. 

Archived