what are the keys to beating Georgia?

aubiefifty

35 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well, get ready to lose your mind. We are what we are. You will see the dive up the middle, WR screen to Ryan D, bombs to slayton, and handoffs to WRs (probably stove). These are the 4 main plays in our offense. I don't see how we are going to change everything we have been doing all year. My fear is that we had several plays that lost yardage on first down against TAM. We MUST get yards on first down. 

I hope I am wrong but I think he will one again be extremely conservative, run the same plays, and hope our defense wins the game. He always does this in big games. 

And if he does that, he should be fired. Pretty simple.

Gonna be a bidding war between us, Tennessee and Florida for Scott Frost, methinks. If we lose do you think we’ll start seeing the “candidates” lists that are being floated for Florida and Tennessee currently?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Did you ever watch those guys defense? Do you think they are sitting around Okie state today all smiles because they scored 50+ and still lost the game? Were you happy when we put 40+ on UA in 2014 but still lost?

Okie state has always put up buckets of points but I am not sure they ever win their conference.

Not saying that I want a bad D, but when you have a great offense you always have a chance.   When the O can’t score, you have zero chance.   At least in 2014, we were winning.  Unlike 2012, when we couldn’t even move the ball.  

27 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not saying that I want a bad D, but when you have a great offense you always have a chance.   When the O can’t score, you have zero chance.   At least in 2014, we were winning.  Unlike 2012, when we couldn’t even move the ball.  

Got that backwards.  When you have a great defense you always have a chance.  You can win a game without the offense scoring at all.

Defense wins championships. It's an old meme but still valid.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Well, get ready to lose your mind. We are what we are. You will see the dive up the middle, WR screen to Ryan D, bombs to slayton, and handoffs to WRs (probably stove). These are the 4 main plays in our offense. I don't see how we are going to change everything we have been doing all year. My fear is that we had several plays that lost yardage on first down against TAM. We MUST get yards on first down. 

I hope I am wrong but I think he will one again be extremely conservative, run the same plays, and hope our defense wins the game. He always does this in big games. 

If Gussy does this and does not go back and look at what he used to do when Lutz, McCalleb, and others were here and ATTACK this team with an actual game plan then he should be fired immediately after this game.  He should be Lane Kiffened.  

You win games like this by finding weaknesses in the offense and defense of your opponent and figure out schemes to exploit those weaknesses. No good coach in his right mind goes into games against opponents with equal or better talent and just rolls the dice and hopes it works.  

This guy has one fishing lure in his tackle box.  Its a beetle spin that he catches lots of Bream with in farm ponds that he fishes.  He then takes it to the ocean thinking well hell it works in all of the farm ponds it must work here as well.  If he tries fishing in the ocean this Saturday with his beetle spin then there is no hope for this program moving forward with Gus.  I am starting to think this dude has some type of mental disorder.

Off the Gus bashing for a second. Have we had more trouble with Smart Defenses or Pruitt defenses? Save last year hasn’t auburn done better up again st smart? Last year after white was hurt, don’t think we could have scored on coastal Carolina.

32 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Off the Gus bashing for a second. Have we had more trouble with Smart Defenses or Pruitt defenses? Save last year hasn’t auburn done better up again st smart? Last year after white was hurt, don’t think we could have scored on coastal Carolina.

Not sure, but common sense indicates against really good defenses it will be difficult to score, especially in the red zone. The key is to win those few plays that define a close game and to have a good field goal kicker and punter.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Did you ever watch those guys defense? Do you think they are sitting around Okie state today all smiles because they scored 50+ and still lost the game? Were you happy when we put 40+ on UA in 2014 but still lost?

Okie state has always put up buckets of points but I am not sure they ever win their conference.

I was saying that I would want Gundy to run the offense but Steele to run the defense lol 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Got that backwards.  When you have a great defense you always have a chance.  You can win a game without the offense scoring at all.

Defense wins championships. It's an old meme but still valid.

I would say that used to be old saying, but not anymore.   Bama had a dominant defense last year and got out scored in the championship game.   In today’s college world, you have to score and the days of winning 10 to 7 are over.    

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

NCM was on the field for over 50 snaps last week according to the breakdown I read just yesterday. You'd think he could get open on a few of those snaps, wouldn't you? It's an odd situation. 

It is...and it is puzzling since his spring game performance was so great. Idk what's going on with him whether it be Kodi or just him but he won't be on the team next season.

5 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Maybe I am reading it wrong but you don't think the gameplan against Texas A&M was as cut and dry as possible?  Same plain Jane stuff we have seen for weeks now ran over and over again adnauseam.

I was just trying to say that if we run those same plays we have ran repeatedly against the cracker jack teams then ugag will eat our lunch.  Not that anyone cares but if we don't show an actual gameplan and scheme on offense to attack this team I will absolutely lose my ^%$#.   My fear is that we will run the exact same crap we do against every team and we will get beat.  Its why Gus can't win the big ones now.  He has lost his ability to attack a defense.  He coaches timid.

I didn't watch all of last game but I watched enough to know that that is our offense and there are no other iterations of our offense. We will, like you say, run the same stupid plays repeatedly and Gus will be standing on the sideline with this idiotic expression on his face wondering why it's not working. There's no reason to hold plays back and keep them cut and dry at this point. What you see is what you get, that is our offense.  I recommend that you have aspirin on hand Saturday. 

Just watched a bunch of this.

#1 It's worth watching

#2 We are running the exact same offense, same plays, same everything.  Difference is that these plays need the QB threat to keep the ball.  If you watch this and can tell me Chip Lindsey is running the show you need Lasik eye surgery.

#3 Michael Dyer was a dang stud. 

#4 Much more imaginative play calling mixed in with the standard Gus stuff we see today.

#5 Nic Fairley was as dominating an interior lineman as I can remember seeing.  When he had the want to this guy was unstoppable.

#6 Our speed sweeps are definitely missing someone with Onterio Speedwagon's speed.  Say what you want but this guy just runs past defenders with angles to catch him.

#7 Lutz was awesome.  Great use of the TE.

#8 Our lower ranked recruited players played with a chip on their shoulder and much higher than their recruiting rankings.

#9 Our current WRs that are struggling need to watch Darvin Adams and Terrell Zachary.  Guys played every snap like it was their last.

My biggest takeaway is that we are running the same plays with players who just are not as talented and no QB run threat.  This is not Chip Lindsey running the show at all.  This is Gus' show and Lindsey calls Gus' plays from the play sheet.  Today's offense is missing a few players to make this work. Obviously Cam Newton but Willis will shine just like Marshall or better.  The speed sweep needs not only speed but a guy that knows when to turn it up field.  Speedwagon and Corey Grant run this so much better than Stove and that isn't a knock on Stove.  Why Stanton Truitt was not used more for this I don't know. 

Whoever's defense shuts down the opponents run game wins. I don't see From or Stidham really being able to pass out of too much of a deficit if they're down. Whoever controls the game first wins

1.) special teams better tighten up!

2.)  don't let that screen pass to davis get "pic-sixed" and win the turnover battle! Darn it's getting closer every game now,,, wake up! Kirby's gonna be salivating over it! 

3.) Clean up those mistakes by the secondary and don't let them get the big play on us and pray we don't get burned right across the middle w/ a little slant pass for 70 yards!  It's gonna happen at least once but hopefully it's only once and not 3 or 4 times! 

4.) win the field position battle which means stidham has got to  get rid of the ball and not take sacks! it would be nice if our punter actually "showed up" for the next couple games as well or i'd suggest Gus head on over and borrow one from the highschool or soccer  teams!

5.) keep gus out of it and don't let him call any of the completely assinine plays as he has a tendency to do sometime. (why he doesn't have a few well scripted plays auburns practices we break out sometime and instead his basic 4 is a whole other topic as some other folks already mentioned*^%#?!!!)

btw,,, great analysis ngatiger. that's valuable insight about the talent as well as the same play calling we were using then that chip just so happens to be using now! what a coincidence! 

This offense would be a whole lot better if stidham would keep the ball 4 to 5 times.   Would love to see after a made first down instead of up the gut, he would keep it.   Especially inside the red zone

46 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Letting it all hang out.  Taking chances. Playing like a bunch of crazy banshees!! We have nothing to lose, they have all the pressure not us.

Reverse is more accurate.  Georgia has nothing to lose, and all the pressure is on Auburn.  Georgia has already secured the East.  They can lose to Auburn, win the SEC Championship Game, and still make the playoffs.  If Auburn loses this game, that is basically it for winning the West.  No SEC Championship Game, and no playoffs.

Archived