what are the keys to beating Georgia?

aubiefifty

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cctiger said:

This game will be won or lost by the decision making and play calling on the sidelines by the 2 HC's. I don't like our chances when it comes down to the Gus. Hope I am wrong, I want a win over the dawgs as much as anyone.

This, the real key would be swopping out Gus for Scott Frost for one week. 

I think one of the main missing pieces to the puzzle is a true playmaker at WR.  

Imagine if we had that one stud that had that killer instinct to put the team on his back like KJ does with his running. 

We are more of a finesse style passing team, and even then our receivers are prone to dropping wide open catches. We need someone that will get separated and when in dogfight can come down with the ball. Our offense could take it to the next level with a Mike Evans, Julio Jones type.

3 years in a row, we have only scored 1 touchdown in the UGA game. Each touchdown was scored on the first drive of the game by a running back. Can we please break that trend? :-\

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

So if the offense turns it over 5 times, it’s CGMs fault?  Or if special teams craps the bed?

I'm so sick of people saying this. Gus has screwed up major league some this year but to say the only way we lose is if Gus messes up is just stupid. They are the #1 team in the country. I wonder if we win if people will say it was because of Gus. Answer ? No. Some people are only going to blame and not give him any credit if things go good. I have been critical lately of some things he has done but this crap is getting really old.

So what is the injury status of our offensive line. I thought we were supposed to have everybody back for the A&M game except for pettway. But apparently not the case. I think a healthy line is a huge key to success

Game is going to be won or lost in the trenches for the next two big games. Gus may handcuff Lindsey butSteele is going to have to earn that paycheck to give us a chance. 

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

I'm so sick of people saying this. Gus has screwed up major league some this year but to say the only way we lose is if Gus messes up is just stupid. They are the #1 team in the country. I wonder if we win if people will say it was because of Gus. Answer ? No. Some people are only going to blame and not give him any credit if things go good. I have been critical lately of some things he has done but this crap is getting really old.

The problem is that HE put himself in a tough spot with his idiocy at LSU.

Any word on Pettway? Since it will have been three weeks since that injury. In any event, we MUST utilize Devan and Malik to have a chance.

We can't get beat on special teams again.  Put the starters out there if you have to.  Stack the box, shut down their run game and make their freshman QB beat us.  On offense count on them doing the same so we are going to have to throw on first down and get the ball out quick.  

6 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I honestly don’t believe uga is as good as Clemson. Might be wrong but just haven’t seen it yet. Again this is Gus’s game to lose. If we lose it is directly Gus’s fault. 

If our players man up we can win. Knock the snot out of them.

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

There are those here that think we can beat the Patriots with the right coaching!  Clueless. But hey, they did coach their kids pee wee team. 

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

There are those here that think we can beat the Patriots with the right coaching!  Clueless. But hey, they did coach their kids pee wee team. 

There are others that see the fault where it lies.  Execution or lack of execution of bad plays still produce bad results. The scheme, the lack of adjustments, the poor player utilization, and the ridiculous predictability is not on any player.

And No, I never coached pee wee.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There are others that see the fault where it lies.  Execution or lack of execution of bad plays still produce bad results. The scheme, the lack of adjustments, and the ridiculous predictability is not on any player.

And No, I never coached pee wee.

Ha Ha. Never accused you of being that guy bird.

So I watched bama again last night. They ran a handful of plays. Successfully. It is what they do. Their guys win their battles. Georgia appears to do the same. 

Can we?

I just watched our game and I'm now watching the UGA vs USCe game and South Carolina just converted on 2 3rd downs by intermediate passing execution. Paging Chip Lindsay....or Gus Malzahn.

47 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

That makes their resume almost as good as Gus' was when he was hired by Arkansas 

19 minutes ago, War Knight said:

I'll sacrifice a goat at this point to stop our poor showing against my most hated team.

Man, a goat? Awfully big of you ???

In all seriousness, our chances to win this game comes down to three things: discipline, effort, and excellent game management.

JHolland and RDavis are the keys imo. Holland being put in a position to pin his ears back and Davis being put in a position to get the ball in space would be a huge advantage against UGA’s perceived weaknesses. One part scheme, one part execution..let’s do it

I will throw in my two cents.  I will preface by stating I also live in Georgia, and have since I was 3.  I know very obnoxious fans, as well as some that are willing to look at everything with a sane mind (very rare for a UGA fan).

Right now the thing they are saying is Auburn will be the first true test for UGA.  Our game will determine if they are actually good or not.  Their running backs stay fresh all game, and it is paying dividends.  Their secondary is their weakness, and I believe we have the receivers and quarterback for the job.  We will also have to start out with speed sweeps and runs to the side to create space for Johnson to work his magic.  Wear their defense down and then hit them in the middle.

We need to hit early and take Fromm's confidence away like we did to Mond.  This UGA team thrives off of emotion, so we need to deflate that early.  I would take a similar approach like South Carolina did and make them throw the ball, but watch out for their tight end.  I would put Matthews on him all day.  

Another big key is our adjustments.  I applaud Auburn the last two games for their adjustments.  Each half looks drastically different.

Lastly, how healthy are we really?  I am curious to know how healthy Javaris Davis really is.  I believe Matthews is near 100%, as is Casey Dunn, 50-50 on Tre Williams, and not very confident in Darius James and Mike Horton.  We need a healthy O-Line out there.  It was worrisome the beginning of the Texas A&M game where you would tell some guys were hurt out there, and once they came out, we looked fine.

Lastly, our fans.  We need everyone to show up early, wearing blue, and loud.  I don't ever want to hear the away section barking, I want it that loud.  When our defense is out there, I would us up and yelling.  Guys like Jeff Holland feed off of us, and we need to do our part to get our guys hyped up.

Let's get it.

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Stop their running game! Provide protection for JS. Their d line was not getting much push against the gamecocks. Test that secondary of theirs. Win the turnover battle.

This! plus good special teams play.

Archived