Auburn Puts on the Pads

Proud Tiger

Yea......the pads are on for the first time with this year's FB team. Dare we even start to think about WT's call of the "nip"? :D

The nearly 500 high school coaches in toen for a coaching clinic watched Thursday's practice. TT praised the defense after the workout. "We had a lot of good contact, mostly in one-on-one drills. We had a good blitz drill. We'll do a lot of thsat this spring for the QBs", said TT. Today the team will work in full gear, concentrating on special teams. First scrimmage is scheduled for 10am Saturday at the practice fields and is open to the public.

Huntsville Times update:

(Do the link for the whole article, but I'm posting a few things I found most interesting/important)

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill...31581304000.xml

Auburn defense off to strong start

Cox well out front in quarterback competition

Friday, March 04, 2005

In the most-watched race of the spring, Tuberville said sophomore quarterback Brandon Cox showed why he is ahead of redshirt freshmen Calvin Booker and Blake Field and sophomore Dustin Goodwin.

"You can tell he is far ahead of the other quarterbacks," Tuberville said.

"That doesn't mean a lot at this point, because they are going to get a lot of reps, the kind of reps he has been getting over the last year, but he is definitely a lot more polished with what he is doing."

Tuberville said the quarterbacks dealt with numerous blitzes Thursday and will have to deal with them all spring.

"Putting pressure on the quarterbacks is important in the spring," Tuberville said. "We'll do it every day. We want to see how they react."

Bell, Mix work on academics: Sophomore safety Tony Bell and senior wide receiver Anthony Mix have yet to participate in spring practice. Tuberville said

"They are here to earn a degree, and I want to make sure they do that," Tuberville said. "Playing runs second to that. I think if you look at what we have done over the long run, what players do off the field reflects what they do on the field.

"I'm not punishing these guys. I'm trying to help them out."

1) As expected, Cox's experience has him ahead--I suspect it will probably stay that way.

2) I like the idea of giving the QB's lot of pressure--you KNOW our opponents are going to try to pick on our new QB (Whoever he is) this fall, and try to rattle a youngster still learning Borges' complex "Gulf Coast " offense.

3) Again CTT shows his class and makes academics the priority for these college students.

There aint a better pair of Quicker, Faster, QB Huntin', DEnds like the ones we have down on the Plains this year with Stanley "The Predator" McClover and Marquis Gunn, throw Quentin Groves in that mix also........Once the games start, it'll feel like Slow Motion for our Starting QB, whoever that might be (BC)........Man, I can't freakin' wait.

Archived