What to do to keep CGM?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do to keep CGM?

• Gus should still be fired
    • Keep Gus another year until AD is set
    • If Gus is offered another job, let him go
    • If Gus is offered another job, do whatever it takes to keep him

On 11/15/2017 at 9:30 PM, tbone1430 said:

I was thinking about this too. Tubs first 5 seasons his win totals were 5, 9, 7, 9, 8 (38). Pat Dye's first 5 were 5, 9, 11, 9, 8 (42) and that was with Bo on the team for 4 years. Gus right now is sitting at 12, 8, 7, 8, and 8 with at least 3 games left in the season (43). I know the man has some short comings but looking at it in this light made me realize that the coaches that are number 3 and 4 all time in auburn wins weren't consistent 10 game winners their first 5 years (but Pat was close). 

This also gives me some hope. Honestly it just comes down to his in game coaching that makes things tough but the guy definitely isn't a slouch. Like the song says "You don't know what you got till its gone". Dang it should I buy a ticket to get back on the bus?

They played less games when dye was coach. So not really apples to apples. Winning percentage would be a better comparison. 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gravejd said:

They played less games when dye was coach. So not really apples to apples. Winning percentage would be a better comparison. 

Dye .700 (60 total games)

malzahn .688 (64 total games)

tuberville .613 (62 total games) 

not too shabby 

2 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

not too shabby 

look like he compares pretty favorably so far.....

3 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

not too shabby 

Let's not ignore the teams he's lost to. I'm a big Gus supporter, but the reason that everyone gets up in arms is the way and the teams he's lost to. UGA, Bama, and to a lesser extent LSU.

Win percentage is good, but you can't lose to those teams that way and be safe at Auburn. 

4 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

not too shabby 

Agree.

Coach Bowden (.793, 59) for perspective?

7 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

the reason that everyone gets up in arms is the way and the teams he's lost to. UGA, Bama, and to a lesser extent LSU.

Which is absolutely hilarious.  He loses to the 3 top teams in the SEC. Wow. Sucks for us that those teams also happen to be our rivals. As I recall, Tubbs and Chizik used to crap the bed against teams who weren't as good as we were... Arkansas, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt. I'd rather have a coach who loses to top 10 teams, when he loses, than one who beats top 10 teams, but then loses to an unranked team to ruin the season.

As for the way he loses... save this year's LSU game which was lost on pure arrogance, thinking we could walk away after owning the first half, most of the way it was lost is due to lack of healthy personnel. The whole "who's calling the plays" speculation has gotten beyond ridiculous at this point. 

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Coach Bowden (.793, 59) for perspective?

Shows you how important it is to keep it in your pants and not cross the people with the deep pockets.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The last head football coach that voluntarily left Auburn to take another coaching job was John Heisman. Coaches don't leave AU for other jobs.

All this talk of Arky is just the bammer press and REC doing what they do every time it looks like Auburn is becoming a threat. Happens right before the Iron Bowl when we have a competitive team and again right before recruit signing day every year. Repeating their lies over and over only plays into their hands.

How the hell did the REC infiltrate the Hog message boards for the past month and get them all lathered up to come gunning for Gus?

This is JIMMY SEXTON at his finest.  He's having to crank up his media machine early with all these programs canning their coaches mid-season.  But the Gus to Arky rumors and talk in the wake of UA firing Jeff Long and Gus whipping the #1 team wrecks of Sexton striking while the iron is HOT.

The Auburn Administration would be stupid as hell to dance to Sexton's tune and jump the gun rushing to give Gus a contract extension until another program actually comes calling and makes him an offer.  Jimmy wants a raise and he gets a nice one if Gus gets a contract extension.  

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is JIMMY SEXTON at his finest. 

Preach it. All of the extension talk and Gus to Arkansas talk is really a waste of breath when it's all about an agent doing what agents do.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Preach it. All of the extension talk and Gus to Arkansas talk is really a waste of breath when it's all about an agent doing what agents do.

Besides,

Neither AU nor Arky has a working AD .

On 11/15/2017 at 8:13 PM, PoetTiger said:

Be crazy to fire the man....for who some mid major coach or retread. Keep him..get out of his way and let him coach and run the program. 

I Wish  I could like this post 100 times!

13 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Technically, John Heisman did not leave Auburn to take another coaching job.  I found this:

From Auburn, Heisman went to Texas briefly to raise tomatoes, investing nearly all of his money. When Walter Riggs, the Clemson University professor, and later its president, founded the school's first football team in 1895, he also served as head coach for the team in 1896 and in 1899. Riggs had played under Heisman at Auburn and urged him out of the tomato fields back into football at Clemson.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/john-william-heisman

I found this, which claims Heisman coached Auburn in 1899 and Clemson in 1900. It doesn't mention tomato fields in Texas. I wouldn't be at all surprised if nobody really knows at this point in time. The records from back then aren't all that complete.

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1869

19 hours ago, Mikey said:

I found this, which claims Heisman coached Auburn in 1899 and Clemson in 1900. It doesn't mention tomato fields in Texas. I wouldn't be at all surprised if nobody really knows at this point in time. The records from back then aren't all that complete.

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1869

And then there’s this:

Heisman’s thespian tendencies aren’t a secret. Most bio blurbs typically mention his being a Shakespearean-trained actor. He actually left Auburn (with tears in his eyes, voice, and even his “trembling hand”) ostensibly to once again pursue acting full time, but rather quickly traded the stage for the gridiron after Clemson threw a bunch of money at him (he still landed occasional roles in productions across the south). But thanks to Draughon, we now know just how hard he channeled the Bard while on the Plains.

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2013/05/auburn-theatrical-legend-john-heisman-put-on-starred-in-play-to-save-auburn-football/#.Ug3cV7xa98k

So maybe he acted in front of his tomatoes in Texas for a growing season and an Auburn grad threw a bunch of money at him to coach at Clemson. :dunno:  

I’d like to think he didn’t leave for another school, just wanted to move on and try something else until Clemson offered.  He only made $500 a year to coach at Auburn.

On 11/20/2017 at 5:04 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Besides,

Neither AU nor Arky has a working AD .

'Course, I may have overestimated the lameness of our duck:

'If Auburn has to renegotiate Gus Malzahn's contract while the school searches for a new athletic director, the decision-making will not fall on one person alone.

Auburn president Steven Leath he and outgoing athletic director Jay Jacobs would work together on any "big decisions" that might need to be made, including regarding Malzahn's future.

"Jay and I function very well. We functioned well before he decided to retired; we function very well since he's decided to retire," Leath told AL.com Monday night. "Jay functions like all my other most senior direct reports in that they run their divisions. I tend to not be a micro manager, they come to me with really big decisions so there's no surprises.

"If there's big decisions to be made in athletics over the next couple of months while we're searching (for a new athletic director), Jay will do like he normally does and come and sit with me and we'll work through them together. That gives us some continuity and it also keeps me consistent with my management style as to not micromanage, but to be informed."

If a conversation has to be had in the next two weeks with Malzahn, who is set to lead No. 6 Auburn (9-2, 6-1 SEC) against No. 1 Alabama in the Iron Bowl with the winner advancing to the SEC Championship, about a contract extension, Leath will be at least aware if not directly involved in the process.'

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/11/who_will_handle_auburns_potent.html

On 11/20/2017 at 12:19 PM, tbone1430 said:

not too shabby 

That's all well and good, but it should be mentioned that we play one more cupcake game a year than we did with Tubs or Dye. Not wishing ill upon Gus, just trying to be fair in the comparisons.

Gus has had to play Bama and Clemson at what is the best run in each of their schools history.   He has also lost to several bad teams but overall is hard to compare with just 5 seasons.  If he has 5 more, it would be a fair comparison 

12 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That's all well and good, but it should be mentioned that we play one more cupcake game a year than we did with Tubs or Dye. Not wishing ill upon Gus, just trying to be fair in the comparisons.

With Dye we didn't have as many cupcakes but Tubs had about the same number of cupcakes per year as Gus. So Gus and Tubs are a better comparison. Definitely think Dye is above both of them. 

Archived