What to do to keep CGM?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do to keep CGM?

• Gus should still be fired
    • Keep Gus another year until AD is set
    • If Gus is offered another job, let him go
    • If Gus is offered another job, do whatever it takes to keep him

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111617aab.html

Semi-finalist for a coach of year award......Auburn must be the laughingstock of the sports world.....bunch of vocal fans want to fire him if the team doesn't beat bama......and here he is in line for this award.  lol  Gus would be the winner if he gets run off from AU.  JMO

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Not sure that $$$ is it and I don't know Gus ...just noting that as I went through life there were times when I put up with crap from people / bosses, because I did not seem to have any good choices but that was not always the case....reached the time when I did not have to do just "take it".     

Not talking about Gus specifically.....look at Stoops at Oklahoma for example....or Gruden who could probably write his own check at what might be considered top schools.   Or look at Dan Mullens or Chris Petersen.....turned down "better jobs" for years. 

Just saying that I would not count on anything either way considering the AU situation in the athletic department.  Gus's ties to Auburn are pretty loose and he can certainly see the way things are done here. 

I do get what you mean.  To be honest, I would have been investing the millions and preparing to live free of the college football pressure cooker after a decade or so.  After all, you cannot take a cent of it with you.  That said, I think the people that make it to the top at this level tend to be the type that live for the job.  Gus is definitely known to be a workaholic.

Gus already knew the way things are done here before he came, and I do not think things are done here very differently than they are at any major college football program.  He could have spent a few seasons at Arkansas State, waiting for whatever job he felt like jumping on, while padding his resume at a program with infinitely lower expectations than any P5 program.  Instead, he came back to Auburn one season after leaving, and Arkansas was replacing their coach at the same time.

The thing that I am not seeing is Arkansas as any form of a relief valve.  They just fired their athletic director, so they have turmoil as well, at least relative to football.  Firing their current coach, hiring Gus, and paying both buyouts will be expensive unless Auburn somehow waived Gus'.  That kind of investment comes with expectations, expectations that are harder to meet there.  Gus walked into the best possible situation for him at Auburn, inheriting his own recruiting classes (offense at least), and being only one year removed from coaching the sophomores.  He walks into no such situation at Arkansas.

As a personal move, I totally get it.  Longtime friends, family, that means something.  Professionally, I think he would be shooting himself in the foot.

I  suspect Gus has earned another year. Personally, I would not increase his pay regardless of the outcome of our next few games. Now if he wins a natty, I would be fine doing so.

I mainly want him and his coaches to be ready day one, game one next season. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

It would take Gus 3+ years at Arky to get the players needed to run his O. 

Flip side is 3+ years of job security.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Now listen. I am not trying to pick on you I am really not! lol but Look at good ol little upstart underdog program Auburn athletic income for the 2016 athletic year. What will we ever do being 1 million behind florida and a couple hundred thousand of rocky top? Those 2 big bad state schools are so out of reach. AGAIN Auburn can outspend (I will even give you they MAYBE can just match) Florida and UT. Tamu is the only one out of the schools talked about who they could not and that is out of reach. That oil money runs deep. You always seem to really underestimate how much of a major power player Auburn is in sports. You always try to talk down the expectations we should have for the program and we should be grateful for what we have. You always "scold" the posters who want to strive for greatness and want more than just 8 win seasons. Auburn is a fringe blue blood and almost a top 10 all time program. We could easily be a top 10 all time program if we could just get some dang consistency on being great which is all what we want. Auburn can be as great as it wants to be. We have the potential to be BUT we all need to swing in one motion. Fans, administration, BOT and PTB.  We constantly have one of the highest if not the highest assistant coaching salaries. Pretty damn good for a school who is not a big state university. At 1 time or another we have had the highest paid assistant with Gus back when he was OC and Muschamp when he was DC in 2015. 

1 Texas A&M SEC $194,388,450 $137,101,774 $0 0.00
2 Texas Big 12 $187,981,158 $171,394,287 $0 0.00
3 Ohio State Big Ten $170,789,765 $166,811,018 $0 0.00
4 Alabama SEC $164,009,745 $145,277,366 $2,462,289 1.50
5 Michigan Big Ten $163,850,616 $157,872,099 $266,467 0.16
6 Oklahoma Big 12 $150,373,216 $127,268,340 $0 0.00
7 LSU SEC $141,651,460 $123,952,910 $0 0.00
8 Florida SEC $141,441,109 $121,307,116 $1,998,856 1.41
9 Tennessee SEC $140,448,955 $128,011,504 $0 0.00
10 Auburn SEC $140,070,593 $124,864,399 $5,438,372 3.88
11 Wisconsin Big Ten $132,788,726 $130,433,373 $2,805,000 2.11
12 Penn State Big Ten $132,248,076 $129,349,149 $0 0.00
13 Kentucky SEC $132,180,246 $127,225,580 $0 0.00
14 Arkansas SEC $124,981,042 $105,633,576 $0 0.00
15 Georgia SEC $123,841,268 $116,633,645 $3,233,143

Athletic income is not a very good measure of the wealth of a school. That doesn't allow for athletic debt levels, etc.

Here's a better look. Note that in the SEC, only the two Mississippi schools have less financial assets than Auburn. We are 12th out of 14. https://www.google.com/search?q=endowments+southeastern+conference+schools&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

well with your theory then vandy can outbid almost all of the sec!!!! lol. I expect them to be able to lure a big name coach to vandy soon on your logic!!! 

Barney-Wink.gif

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

well with your theory then vandy can outbid almost all of the sec!!!! lol. I expect them to be able to lure a big name coach to vandy soon on your logic!!! 

Barney-Wink.gif

Vandy had had pretty good coaches off and on baseball , basketball...but football is not their passion.   But they have a pretty good one now....his problem is finding football players with  33 ACT scores.   AU does not have much of a problem there. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Vandy had had pretty good coaches off and on baseball , basketball...but football is not their passion.   But they have a pretty good one now....his problem is finding football players with  33 ACT scores.   AU does not have much of a problem there. 

I would of been with you on them having a pretty good one...... till this year. The bottom fell out after that 3-0 start. They were atrocious even on his side of the ball which is defense. Up until this year they had at least been solid on defense and the problem was lack of talent not coaching. But now? .................  yikes.

Things I learned from the daily AUF math lesson:  Kentucky and Vanderbilt are clearly being robbed.  Something tells me that athletic revenue is more relevant to the subject at hand.

54 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Things I learned from the daily AUF math lesson:  Kentucky and Vanderbilt are clearly being robbed.  Something tells me that athletic revenue is more relevant to the subject at hand.

Somewhere I read that Kentucky basketball brings in more money than football...so they take care of that sport first I guess.

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Not at all. With Vandy, academics take priority over sports. We and everybody else in the SEC can sign players that Vandy won't accept. '64 already addressed Kentucky.

6 hours ago, AU04ever said:

I'm of the opinion that if he can win out, keep him for another year but he should NOT get an extension or pay raise only the bonuses that are currently outlined in his current contract.  If he maintains performance against SEC teams next year, then AU should look into giving him an extension.  To this point, he is doing his job no need to give him an extension every year.

Winning out would mean winning  SEC and national championships. Gus would be a hands-down cinch for every national coach of the year award in existence. You wouldn't give him a contract extension and a raise?

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Winning out would mean winning  SEC and national championships. Gus would be a hands-down cinch for every national coach of the year award in existence. You wouldn't give him a contract extension and a raise?

Doesn’t he have built in, substantial financial incentives for those admittedly incredible achievements? You think he should automatically get a raise and an extension on top of that? If I remember correctly those would give him >$1 million in addition to his almost $5 million base. So, no, I wouldn’t extend and raise him just for doing those things- that’s what those incentives are for. ?Mikey= Jimmy Sexton, lol ? 

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Doesn’t he have built in, substantial financial incentives for those admittedly incredible achievements? You think he should automatically get a raise and an extension on top of that? If I remember correctly those would give him >$1 million in addition to his almost $5 million base. So, no, I wouldn’t extend and raise him just for doing those things- that’s what those incentives are for. ?Mikey= Jimmy Sexton, lol ? 

He'd get a raise because that's what happens when someone does an exceptional job. It's a foolish employer indeed that doesn't react positively when somebody pull off a great piece of work.

Just now, Mikey said:

He'd get a raise because that's what happens when someone does an exceptional job. It's a foolish employer indeed that doesn't react positively when somebody pull off a great piece of work.

*Consistent*excellence merits rewards. One year of excellence (maybe) after three of mediocrity? He is more than handsomely rewarded for that already. Automatically raising and extending contracts after one year of success is how we end up paying huge buyouts to people that prove to be average (or less) coaches that we choose to fire. If we are going to give him a raise automatically for great results, why even have the incentives? It’s a foolish employer that makes those kind of decisions. They often get fired themselves- ask Jay Jacobs.

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

Somewhere I read that Kentucky basketball brings in more money than football...so they take care of that sport first I guess.

I was not being serious about Vanderbilt or Kentucky being robbed.  That said, you are correct.  Kentucky has a commitment to the basketball program that equals much of the SEC's commitment to football.  If I remember correctly, they are first or second in college basketball in home attendance.

24 minutes ago, shabby said:

a little late to the party but have there been any real attempts by other universities to go after Gus? or is this all just what ifs

Haven't seen or read anything since he was the OC...but he has not been HC at  AU very long and with his contract, it would be costly to lure him away with a financial package.   

JMO but it would (and should) be hard for someone to lure any AU coach away from the school in about any sport unless he or she was unhappy.     At the HC level,  Auburn is a target job, not a stepping stone. But coaches sometimes get unhappy.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gus's contract has nothing to do with JJ's firing. But you know that.

Definitely not THE reason but his series of foolish decisions about coaches’ contracts I suspect was a factor that was considered. You’re right, recent developments in multiple sports were far more important though I think.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

What is the purpose of the current contract and the bonuses/incentives that he has now. Those bonuses and incentives are built in for those extra games. At what point is he expected to do his job for what he and AU agreeded that he would do it for.

The only way I could see giving Gus an extension is for recruiting. A raise, no, he's doing his job.  If he puts together a couple years of consistent performance then so be it.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, doverstutts said:

if the game comes down to the head coaches and their decision making , it will be four in a row......

Is there anything positive that you contribute to this board?

By the way, Nick Saban is not the best game day coach in America. He's probably the best recruiter, and he's good at assembling a formidable staff, but if it comes down to head coaches and their decision making, Auburn has a shot.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Is there anything positive that you contribute to this board?

By the way, Nick Saban is not the best game day coach in America. He's probably the best recruiter, and he's good at assembling a formidable staff, but if it comes down to head coaches and their decision making, Auburn has a shot.

Missed you, Red! Welcome back...good post.:wareagle:

Archived