LKEEL75

What to do to keep CGM?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do to keep CGM?

• Gus should still be fired
    • Keep Gus another year until AD is set
    • If Gus is offered another job, let him go
    • If Gus is offered another job, do whatever it takes to keep him

Our defense will be the best bammer has or will face this season. MSU is no defensive juggernaut of which they have showed against us and Uga. They played their best against LSU and bammer, but facing our D will be more than sufficient to give us a strong chance to win the IB.  I think we play a game similar to UGA and who know better. We do this, we face the mutts again and go on to the final 4. If we beat the turds, they could tumble out of the top 4 and of course UGA would fall down the line considerably.

Maybe Auburn, Wisconsin, Miami & OU in the final 4. Could happen.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansas is a complete rebuilding job.  Gus should have Auburn to the point of reloading instead of rebuilding.  It would take Gus at least 3 years to turn that around.  Would Gus be willing to go through all that?  With the exception of UGA they play the same opponents Auburn does now so his job won’t be easier.  I think this is a money grab by his agent just like Tubs to Arkansas 10 years ago.  Big win makes this louder and the $$$ keeps going up.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Arkansas is a complete rebuilding job.  Gus should have Auburn to the point of reloading instead of rebuilding.  It would take Gus at least 3 years to turn that around.  Would Gus be willing to go through all that?  With the exception of UGA they play the same opponents Auburn does now so his job won’t be easier.  I think this is a money grab by his agent just like Tubs to Arkansas 10 years ago.  Big win makes this louder and the $$$ keeps going up.

Shoot...who knows....one year after Gus left Arky State, he had Auburn playing in the BCS championship game.  

Might be easier to rebuild a down program with an appreciative fan base than have to answer questions every week from state media about how hot his seat is and or be told that he has to win this game or that game to keep his job. 

Guess it's just me,  but life is too short to put up with that crap .....and life is not just about money. . 

JJ getting the axe when he did/is pretty much guaranteed Gus another year.  This gives him time to prove if he has legitimately turned a corner in his coaching career or if he’s the same ole Gus. We’ll see how it goes the rest of this year and next year.  I was slow to get off the Gus Bus and I’ll be slow to get back on it.

Consistency takes time.  

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Shoot...who knows....one year after Gus left Arky State, he had Auburn playing in the BCS championship game.  

Might be easier to rebuild a down program with an appreciative fan base than have to answer questions every week from state media about how hot his seat is and or be told that he has to win this game or that game to keep his job. 

Guess it's just me,  but life is too short to put up with that crap .....and life is not just about money. . 

Feel the same way. Security in a job is pretty highly valued in today's economy.

Everyone talks about how stupid Gus would be if he left for Arkansas. I kinda wanna my head coach to have the attitude that he can take a program like Arkansas and turn it into a contender.

Some disagree, but I personally think when he called that spot review against Georgia it had nothing to do with Georgia. Gus was giving a middle finger to everyone at Auburn that said he couldn't coach to kill.

Peace of mind can be a valuable thing.

15 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Man this forum's got nothing on the political forum bunch. Some of the saddest, unhappiest, butthurt people you'll ever meet. 

Lurked and observed there on occasion, but participate?

Rather walk barefoot into a Pantera pit (and I'll depend on my young All Things Considered denizens to correct or confirm if I've said this correctly).

Just now, bigbird said:

It would take Gus 3+ years at Arky to get the players needed to run his O. 

Yep.  The big difference between him coming to Auburn in 2013 and taking over Arky is the type of players already on campus.  The players Auburn had in 2013 were recruited by Gus for his O.  CBB's players were recruited for a clunky Big 10 type offense.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

... It would take Gus at least 3 years to turn that around...

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Shoot...who knows....one year after Gus left Arky State, he had Auburn playing in the BCS championship game...

As has been pointed out elsewhere, recent new AU HC hires have done well at first. Also, Coach Malzahn has done well 1st year at all his HC stops.

To do list for an incoming AD:

1. Day one - Fire Coach Malzahn, and calculate buyout payouts.

2. Day two: Hire Coach Malzahn (buyout disappears?).

We get a hotshot up-and-comer that actually has a few years of HC OJT, stepping right into a program where he sort'a knows the ropes, and where the staff and players seem almost magically matched to fit his system.

WDE

28 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Yep.  The big difference between him coming to Auburn in 2013 and taking over Arky is the type of players already on campus.  The players Auburn had in 2013 were recruited by Gus for his O.  CBB's players were recruited for a clunky Big 10 type offense.

You are right...at Arky there does not seem to be much left behind though it's a pretty young team with just a handful of seniors.   Gus might know some Juco kids who could fill a few important slots....like QB for example

Plus at Arky,  whoever goes there does not have to win 8 or 9 or 10 games in the first year.  Look at what they have been through.  

This is just chatter though.....Gus will be back.....AU has the golden handcuffs on him though I guess if the pressure were on to cut him loose, someone on this forum would come up with the "buyout". 

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I would not be quick to call Arkansas an appreciative fanbase, or Gus a slam-dunk popular hire.  There have been people griping on hogville since Petrino was fired, including throughout Bielema's tenure.  Gus is also a somewhat polarizing figure in the state, going back to his high school years, and stints at Arkansas and Arkansas State.  I am not sure Gus finds a more appreciative or patient fan base there than he would here.

The same crap that Gus has to put up with here, is the same crap he would have to put up with there.  When your team loses game(s) in baffling fashion, it is the inevitable result.  I suspect he has encountered it throughout his career, and has hopefully long since learned not to dwell on it.  He is paid to coach a football team, and the media is paid to write glowing pieces when all is well, and scathing pieces when all is not.  He did not make it this far without a thick skin.  If all the crap that comes with being a P5 head coach bothered him, he would be going back to Arkansas State for a homecoming, not Arkansas.

That said, Gus has looked different, on and off the field in the last few games.  If I had to describe it, it would be more relaxed.  Maybe that is a result of Jacobs' imminent departure, maybe the light just came on for him, who knows.

Stryc...get your point but the losses that usually cost a coach his job involve  giving up 50 or 60 points to unranked teams like the porkers  have been doing....or like Urban did a few weeks ago....but Arky has not just been losing...they have not even been competitive....that's different.

AHHHH the joys of having a coach being represented by sexton.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

People keep saying that Arky would be easier because of expectation levels not being the same, HOWEVER...  If Arky brings in the money it would take to get CGM to leave the team he has built and go into a rebuilding phase, then they are going to be expecting big time results.  I don't care who your are, you don't pay a guy 6-8 million a year and not have high expectations from the fan base.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Stryc...get your point but the losses that usually cost a coach his job involve  giving up 50 or 60 points to unranked teams like the porkers  have been doing....or like Urban did a few weeks ago....but Arky has not just been losing...they have not even been competitive....that's different.

I do not think Gus is in danger of losing his job.  He might have been if he lost to Georgia and Alabama for the fourth year in a row, especially if he botched a 20 point lead or struggled to score 10.  I definitely think Bielema is in danger of losing his job though.

That said, I can understand if Gus left for Arkansas, at least for personal reasons.  That makes sense, it is his home.  Professionally, it does not make sense.  It makes even less sense for Arkansas.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I do not think Gus is in danger of losing his job.  He might have been if he lost to Georgia and Alabama for the fourth year in a row, especially if he botched a 20 point lead or struggled to score 10.  I definitely think Bielema is in danger of losing his job though.

That said, I can understand if Gus left for Arkansas, at least for personal reasons.  That makes sense, it is his home.  Professionally, it does not make sense.  It makes even less sense for Arkansas.

Agree....it would be his choice but on the other hand if he finished well and got a good offer.....not sure why he would stay at AU unless we got a new AD who suited him better......JMO

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Agree....it would be his choice but on the other hand if he finished well and got a good offer.....not sure why he would stay at AU unless we got a new AD who suited him better......JMO

What better offer is he likely to get, that Auburn would be unwilling to match?  He gets no better situation at Florida, Tennessee, or Texas A&M.  They have clearly demonstrated that they will fire an underachieving coach, so the pressure is immediate.  Arkansas will likely have to shell out in excess of $10 million to get rid of Bielema, hire Gus, and take care of both buyouts.  Unless he will take a pay cut, Arkansas will also be looking at $5 million in salary to get Gus.  That will come with the same expectations as Auburn.

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

lol you are not sure why he would stay at Auburn? um better team. better resources. Better recruiting base. easier to win. we play for championships they play for the liberty bowl. It is almost like you are begging him to leave and want him to leave just to prove some point?

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

What better offer is he likely to get, that Auburn would be unwilling to match?  He gets no better situation at Florida, Tennessee, or Texas A&M.  They have clearly demonstrated that they will fire an underachieving coach, so the pressure is immediate.  Arkansas will likely have to shell out in excess of $10 million to get rid of Bielema, hire Gus, and take care of both buyouts.  Unless he will take a pay cut, Arkansas will also be looking at $5 million in salary to get Gus.  That will come with the same expectations as Auburn.

Not sure that $$$ is it and I don't know Gus ...just noting that as I went through life there were times when I put up with crap from people / bosses, because I did not seem to have any good choices but that was not always the case....reached the time when I did not have to do just "take it".     

Not talking about Gus specifically.....look at Stoops at Oklahoma for example....or Gruden who could probably write his own check at what might be considered top schools.   Or look at Dan Mullens or Chris Petersen.....turned down "better jobs" for years. 

Just saying that I would not count on anything either way considering the AU situation in the athletic department.  Gus's ties to Auburn are pretty loose and he can certainly see the way things are done here. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

lol you are not sure why he would stay at Auburn? um better team. better resources. Better recruiting base. easier to win. we play for championships they play for the liberty bowl. It is almost like you are begging him to leave and want him to leave just to prove some point?

Nope ....just suggesting that you don't understand what motivates people to do what they do. 

With the TAMU and Georgia wins alone he at least secured himself another year. If he gets us a SEC championship plus a playoff appearance, all the hot seat talk will go away.

Just now, AU64 said:

Nope ....just suggesting that you don't understand what motivates people to do what they do. 

You keep on saying SHOW ME someone out there better than Gus that we could hire. You said there is none that would jump. But you think Arkansas of all schools can hire someone away from a way better job when they are arguably the least talented roster in the whole sec? lol ok. That makes no sense. If you think we cannot attract someone at one of the few good jobs in college football then I highly doubt arky can. 

I'm of the opinion that if he can win out, keep him for another year but he should NOT get an extension or pay raise only the bonuses that are currently outlined in his current contract.  If he maintains performance against SEC teams next year, then AU should look into giving him an extension.  To this point, he is doing his job no need to give him an extension every year.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I didn’t have the time to read thru the several pages of this thread but I was just about to ask if Gus is a client of Sexton’s.  

2 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

I didn’t have the time to read thru the several pages of this thread but I was just about to ask if Gus is a client of Sexton’s.  

unfortunately yes.

Archived