SEC Predictions

vatz22au

just mark me down as someone who is extremely nervous about that road game.

150096[/snapback]

Arkansas always scares me more than any other game. Just so much uncertainty - I don't even get this nervous about LSU - that's a tough game, we know it, they know it, fine. But Arkansas is just so slippery - always just on the edge of success but never quite sneaking through, except to play spoiler to SOMEONE at least once a year. I am just always afraid of overlooking them and then paying the price. ESPECIALLY on the road.

I do NOT think bammer comes out ahead of us this year. Just don't see it happening. Not being cocky or arrogant, but just don't see it. The West will be decided in October. Last year I was glad the LSU game was early. This year I am thrilled that it is later in the season, to give Brandon time to get acclimated before heading to Red Stick. My faith is in Auburn, but my brain gives LSU a slight edge, just because of the home field advantage. But I will be glad to be proven wrong. When Saban left, a lot of the intimidation factor left with him. Somehow it is hard to be afraid of a guy whose name is Les. :lol:

I agree with whoever said that Tennessee always gets too much love pre-season, only to fall flat. Top THREE pre-season this year? Jut can't see it. BCS bound pre-season this year? Only if everyone else takes a dive. Phat boy can recruit, but can't coach the talent he has. It always seems SO disorganized. But maybe the fact that I despise all things jailbird orange is clouding my judgement.

I think Florida does it in the East - Meyer is walking into a SWEET situation because despite his coaching shortcomings (at least according to gator alum), Zook was a helluva recruiter. Meyer has a lot to work with, even tho Faison went Pro. On the flip side, Steve Superior has so little to work with, and they don't let the coaches suit up and play.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think urban has a lot of offense, but that defense was TERRIBLE last year. then they lost channing crowder (the best defender in the sec in my eyes) to the early entry... they're going to give up points in bunches. i just don't think you can win consistently in the sec without a defense. folks don't realize that the gators were great defensively during spurrier's best years. great. they just don't have the personnel to become a top level defensive club next year.

i think UT is going to be solid b/c the qbs are a year older (major, major, major), they get riggs at tailback all year (upgrade), the receivers are a year older... that's going to be a scary offense. then the defense didn't lose all that much last year as i recall. they should win the east.

think UT is going to be solid b/c the qbs are a year older (major, major, major), they get riggs at tailback all year (upgrade), the receivers are a year older... that's going to be a scary offense.  then the defense didn't lose all that much last year as i recall. they should win the east.

150263[/snapback]

What defense are you talking about??? The one that we dominated both times, and others scored points on as well. What defense? I wasn't aware that allowing 34 points at home, 31 points to Kentucky, 33 points to Vanderbilt, 29 to South Carolina, and 28 to Florida is at all defense..

Agree with the Arky feeling Jenny, but I'm not nearly as nervous about that games as I used to be. Right now I'm more nervous about GaTech than any other oppenent. After the debacle in 03, I want Reggie Ball eating so much turf, USDA names a steak after him. I watched the Jackets detroy a pitiful Syracuse team in their bowl game and they looked good and are bringing back a lot starters. It should be a close one because it is the opening game for both teams. I'm not sold on Chan at the helm of Tech, they have been SO inconsistent since he has been there. I'm hoping that game is a night game, and have a very "happy" crowd fill up Jordan-Hare for the Jackets. Wreck Tech!

AGREED: GEORGIA TECH scares me too. plus, i can't handle another year of grief from my uncle (GT grad). if we don't be them, he'll likely have years and years of braggin rights. of course, i think last season's debacle was USC hangover. if we'd have played them later in the year we would've taken them, but that's just my opinion.

Agree with the Arky feeling Jenny, but I'm not nearly as nervous about that games as I used to be. Right now I'm more nervous about GaTech than any other oppenent. After the debacle in 03, I want Reggie Ball eating so much turf, USDA names a steak after him.  Wreck Tech!

150288[/snapback]

of course, i think last season's debacle was USC hangover.  if we'd have played them later in the year we would've taken them, but that's just my opinion.

150298[/snapback]

Agreed on both counts - I just haven't started being nervous about the SEASON (5 months, 21 days!) yet - I am just perpetually nervous abt the Pork Rinds. I want to leave skid marks all over Ga Tech from having to hold our team back from scoring so much that we are accused of trying to earn "style points". The USC hangover was a for sure thing, IMHO. No way was Tech a better team - we just didn't show up to play.

Important note about Ark:

Matt Jones is gone.

The Hog fans are bemoaning their complete lack of defense coupled with 99.9% of their offense leaving in Jones.

I bet Ark doesn't win 5 games in '05.

I have never been one to give chn a lot of credit. BUT, what he was able to do last season was almost amazing. It will be tough for them without Jones, but, He will, somehow, put a winning team on the field.

I have never been one to give chn a lot of credit. BUT, what he was able to do last season was almost amazing. It will be tough for them without Jones, but, He will, somehow, put a winning team on the field.

150326[/snapback]

Go read their board: www.woopig.net

Specifically, read this thread:

http://www.woopig.net/php/index.php?topic=24698.0

They are not optimistic at all.

They are not optimistic at all.

150327[/snapback]

They are pork rind fans. They can't even SPELL optimistic.

But those SCREEN NAMES crack me UP!

Herzog von Schweinefleisch

Clark W Grishog

Aporkalypse Now :roflol:

The Other White Meat

Props to them for creativity.

they may not be optimistic, but that doesn't mean the team can't shock folks. i honestly think they'll win 6-8 games next year. they were more than matt jones last year. he was hurt for half the season, and they remained competitive. i know he's incredible (one of my guilty pleasures was watching the magic), but nutt gets good production from good talent. and they have a lot of guys coming back.

i hate tech. i'm not really nervous about that game. i don't get nervous for games against rivals like that. i just get angry at the idea of losing. i'm pretty sure i'll throw up if we blow that game.

i'm pretty sure i'll throw up if we blow that game.

150405[/snapback]

The guy in front of me at Jordan-Hare got pretty mad when that happened... :puke:

Matt Jones is gone.

The Hog fans are bemoaning their complete lack of defense coupled with 99.9% of their offense leaving in Jones.

150324[/snapback]

Would not suprise me either......but, I think they are better than Ole Miss and MSU.

Matt Jones is gone.

150324[/snapback]

Would not suprise me either......but, I think they are better than Ole Miss and MSU.

150469[/snapback]

Not that hard to be better than those two.

:lsu:

West:

:au:

:lsu:

:ua:

:arky:

:msu:

:om:

East:

:uf:

:ut:

:uga:

:usc:

:uk:

:vandy:

SEC Champions

:uf:

149803[/snapback]

Aside from being diehard Auburn fans, what makes some of you think that Auburn will repeat as SEC West Champs? With so many personnel losses from last year, seems like CTT has got his work cut our for him. With the LSU game in Tiger Stadium I just don't see how Auburn will win the West.

LSU on the other hand has pretty much everybody back off a strong team. Spears and Webster will be tough to replace but there are other experienced guys waiting in line.

Give me some analysis of Auburn winning the West.

149814[/snapback]

If you knew any more about :au: then you would know we have as much talent returning as we lost. Yes, we lost Caddy, Ronnie, and Campbell, but we have 4 returning on an OL that started or played some significant time last year. We have and experienced Tre Smith returning at RB along with a transfer that has game experience and a RB that got 2nd string time last year. Defense returns all LB and several DBs that have starter and game experience. The DL will be strong returnign 2 very good DE and NG. Our QB situation is in question. We understand that. We also understand that Brnadon Cox has 2 years under his belt with the same OC and QB coach. Something Jason didn't have his entire 4 year career. We are confident if Cox comes out as starter, which many think he will, he will be very good. Not to mention we have an entire WR corps coming back.

I'll take Cox over LSU QB, Russell any day. He has yet to prove anything. Are you referring to the same experienced D that gave up a game winning fluke play in the bowl game. Iowa I think it was didn't even have their heads on right trying to move down to score and had to settle for the hail mary.

I think the SEC west is going to be decided b/t the games b/t :au::lsu: and :ua: . :lsu: wil be tough b/c of returning so many starters, but QB is still in question performance wise. :ua: returns a bunch on D from a very good D last year. Question again will be their Offensive performance.

EAST: WEST

UT AU

UF UA/LSU

USC/UGA MSU

UK Ark

VU Ole Miss

• 2 weeks later...

West

1. Auburn

2. LSU

3. Alabama

4. Ole Miss

5. Arkansas

6. MSU

East

1. Tennessee

2. Florida

3. Georgia

4. South Carolina

5. Kentucky

6. Vanderbilt

winner of LSU/Auburn game goes to Atl

Poor corndoggies. Oh well, they can hope...and pray. :D

Can someone explain to me how they are putting USC ahead of UGA?

I am quite curious to hear a resonable response.

We have them at home, they dont have nearly the talent or depth, especially at their core positions (WR, QB, and RB....I don't buy that Boyd was better then Summers) and threw off their best defensive player, if that isnt held by their freshman last year.

This whole "It is Spurrier so he will dominate with anyone" attitude some give him is ridiculous. He inherited a very solid squad at UF his first year which had gotten 3 straight bowl games and just had Emmitt Smith on their team.

Seems Ellis is sipping his usual crack-water. Any Russell for Heisman threads for us this year, Ellis? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Granted, USC could beat us.....I just don't see it at all.

Spurrier has no QB at all and people think that he can take anyone and turn them into a star. Yet, all of his UF stars were HS All-State or National players....Palmer, Grossman, Wuerfall, and so forth.

Spurrier has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG road ahead of him. Ole Lou left him a mess and it's a dooooooozie!

He may be able to recruit the jails soon..............

Granted, USC could beat us.....I just don't see it at all.

Spurrier has no QB at all and people think that he can take anyone and turn them into a star. Yet, all of his UF stars were HS All-State or National players....Palmer, Grossman, Wuerfall, and so forth.

151944[/snapback]

For what it's worth, I agree with you, SL.

I just don't see Spurrier being the Legend he once was at Gainesville. USC will never have the material Florida could muster--and this year what talent they have seems to be dropping like flies into the court system.

Spurrier is a good coach, but I don't think he can overcome the basic weaknesses of the USC program. Expecting him to turn them into perennial Eastern contenders would be like expecting him to make Ole Miss perennial Western champs. He might have some good years, but I don't see either school being able to recruit the talent on a permanent basis to stay at the top of their divisions.

Also, IMHO, I think by the time Spurrier left Florida, the SEC was beginning to figure out how to coach against him. When new, his system caught a lot of people by surprize and was unstoppable for a while, but defenses began to get a handle on it over time and he was not unstoppable by the time he left. Very good, yes, but not unstoppable.

he doesn't have to make them contenders every year to be a legend at south carolina. the best season in school history is a single 10 win effort. one ten win season in what? over 100 years? if he ever wins the sec, and i mean even once, it will be the best coaching job of his entire career, duke included. if he gets them to be a bowl team year in, year out, he'll be the only coach in the conference i could see doing that. i honestly don't see any coach in the conference (and there are some great ones) that could consistently keep them in bowl season and have a few fluke eastern division championships. so no, i don't think they beat uga next year, but i do expect spurrier to bring them to a level they have never been before: consistently above .500.

just for the record, in the modern era of football, south carolina's best run of consecutive winning seasons is 4 years in a row (8-4, 8-4, 6-4-1, 6-5) under joe morrison and sparky woods from 1987-1990. they just don't have a winning tradition at all.

I agree with Southlink, I've posted my thoughts about SS at South Carolina in other posts. People just see him and his visor and automatically think he is going to make the Gamecocks into world beaters his first season, not going to happen. Spurrier is a great coach but look what happened after he won the national title at UF, 97-01 produced one SEC title and no national title contenders. SOS would become a god in Columbia if he had 4-7 season stretch of bowl games and wins over the big three in the EAST and beating Clemson year in and year out.

Archived