Florida hires Mullen

gr82b4au

The East may be rising again. Smart at UGA, Mullen at UF, and Muschamp at USCe may develop into a three way battle like the Bama/Auburn/LSU battles in the West. Unfortunately for them, UTK is not in this discussion.

17 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Great research, would you elaborate more, Barnacle? I've seen it written a lot and always wondered the specifics of why Mississippi State is so difficult...what makes it more so than Ole Miss. For me, it would have to be the cowbells.  I'm serious.

It's all about the $$$.  Mississippi State has the least of any SEC school. $100 million less than Texas A&M... $50 million less than Auburn.  The SEC has 5 schools in the top 10 for athletic revenue. Mississippi State is all the way down at 34.

4 hours ago, meh130 said:

The East may be rising again. Smart at UGA, Mullen at UF, and Muschamp at USCe may develop into a three way battle like the Bama/Auburn/LSU battles in the West. Unfortunately for them, UTK is not in this discussion.

Maybe, but so far Smart has proven that he can best the East but still falls short of the West, and Muschamp lost to Kentucky this year. We'll have to see who Mullen can get as his QB at Florida before I'm ready to expect them to make a comeback, either.

18 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Great research, would you elaborate more, Barnacle? I've seen it written a lot and always wondered the specifics of why Mississippi State is so difficult...what makes it more so than Ole Miss. For me, it would have to be the cowbells.  I'm serious.

First, money. MSU is last in the West in revenue, and 12th in the SEC.

Second, its a small school - smallest in the West and 13th in the SEC.

Third, Mississippi isn't a fertile recruiting state, relative to other SEC states. It ranks behind Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, and Tennessee in its production of blue chip players. South Carolina, Arkansas, Missouri and Kentucky all produce less each year, but considering that Mississippi has two state school to Arkansas' one, its hard to say that Mississippi isn't hardest place to recruit to in the West. Not only that, but Mississippi is surrounded by Alabama, Auburn and LSU who frequently pick off the state's top talent.

Last, I would just say a lack of winning tradition, facilities (MUCH improved during Mullen's tenure) and the appeal of Starkville which is small and in the middle of nowhere. At least Oxford is close to Memphis. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

First, money. MSU is last in the West in revenue, and 12th in the SEC.

Second, its a small school - smallest in the West and 13th in the SEC.

Third, Mississippi isn't a fertile recruiting state, relative to other SEC states. It ranks behind Texas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, and Tennessee in its production of blue chip players. South Carolina, Arkansas, Missouri and Kentucky all produce less each year, but considering that Mississippi has two state school to Arkansas' one, its hard to say that Mississippi isn't hardest place to recruit to in the West. Not only that, but Mississippi is surrounded by Alabama, Auburn and LSU who frequently pick off the state's top talent.

Last, I would just say a lack of winning tradition, facilities (MUCH improved during Mullen's tenure) and the appeal of Starkville which is small and in the middle of nowhere. At least Oxford is close to Memphis. 

Understand perfectly!!  Lots of challenges there. You are right about geography...Memphis, to me anyway, is a definite asset. So much to see and do, especially in latter years.

On 11/26/2017 at 9:01 PM, AURealist said:

I think many here saw this coming.  Kirby's job just got harder...

I think Kirby would have rather Florida hired Chip Kelly. Mullen will be harder to whip in recruiting.

I wonder if Mullen is bugging out of Starkville before the NCAA comes calling. They were caught red handed, again, paying players during the Ole Miss investigation.

55 minutes ago, MaxP said:

I wonder if Mullen is bugging out of Starkville before the NCAA comes calling. They were caught red handed, again, paying players during the Ole Miss investigation.

Thought it was OM offering an MSU player.....that has been reported....if you have a link please post it 'cause I have seen nothing 

3 minutes ago, MaxP said:

The benefits were from Ole Miss....then the guy went to MSU...and snitched ....or at least admitted what happened. He is one of the reasons for bad blood between the schools.

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The benefits were from Ole Miss....then the guy went to MSU...and snitched ....or at least admitted what happened. He is one of the reasons for bad blood between the schools.

In the article...

"Additionally, new documentation submitted to the Committee on Infractions by attorneys for Ole Miss claims Lewis told NCAA enforcement he took $11,000 in benefits from his current school, Mississippi State. Unlike Lewis, Mississippi State cannot receive conditional immunity for any former, current, or future statements its current player makes."

5 hours ago, MaxP said:

He's a slippery one, that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

He's a slippery one, that's for sure. 

So....wondering why no one at UF is concerned about this.  I understand that the NCAA can chase coaches with violations to new schools these days.....only the NFL does not extradition treaties with NCAA. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So....wondering why no one at UF is concerned about this.  I understand that the NCAA can chase coaches with violations to new schools these days.....only the NFL does not extradition treaties with NCAA. 

Mullen is not known for doing his own dirty work (See Kenny Rogers re: Cam). I doubt he would be hit with any kind of show cause.

Archived