Jarrett

War to the Eagle

I wonder if Stidham should take next year's schedule into consideration. Unless a game is 'Gused up' somewhere, Auburn is likely to be at worse 10 and 1 heading to moralsalooser at the end of the year. His stats ought to be sparkling.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

6-7 times a game is the perception; however, Nick actually averaged 18 passes/game in '13 and 22 passes/game in '14.  18 per game is not going to keep all those bluechip WRs happy...but if it wins games that's the main goal.

Yeah I was trying to make a point and I was clouded by the iron bowl 2013 game that I rewatched recently. We completed alittle over ten passes, probably passed fifteen.

The main point is that if Jarrett didn't have much trust earlier in the year, Gus sure isn't going to trust Willis to throw the ball. We all read Stat's reports and he noted that we need balance and passing on first down. 

From an Auburn perspective, having Jarrett back would give us a chance to go into game 1 know what we have at QB. We play a pretty darn good football team with their proven QB1 returning in the dome that has not been our friend so far. I think we need Jarrett to be able to start quick next year. These receivers are primed up for big years next year IMO, especially until we establish the RB we will run into the ground next year. I think JS will pass for 4,000 yards next year if he stays. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely, I do not disagree with you about Gus' motives.

He was (still IS?) more worried about his reputation as an offensive genius than his reputation as a championship winning Head Coach.

I'm sure that 2013 offense wouldn't attract a lot of prototype NFL prospects but then, that's the point.  AU people (fans, admins, students....everybody) couldn't care less about NFL projections if our beloved football team suffers.

Give me a Nick Marshall type over a Tom Brady type in the "Gus offense" any day.

Now, again, I say this because I'm in the "Gus is still in control" camp.  If he'd release Chip Lindsey to run HIS offense, then I believe Auburn has the right QB in Stidham.  Honestly, I feel that maybe even Jeremy might have done well in Chip's offense.

I get where you are coming from, but I think in this case it wasn't about maintaining his reputation, but increasing our ability to recruit the top guys. Whether the fans, admins, students or anyone else cares about NFL projections is irrelevant, since it's the #1 thing the top recruits care about.

It appears like it might finally be paying off with Stidham and hopefully Nix (Gatewood fits the dual-threat mold to a tee, so he would have been interested either way) choosing Auburn. If we focused entirely on QBs running Gus's 2013 offense, instead of making them NFL ready (or at least a balanced player), Stidham would be at A&M and Nix would probably only be giving us lip service because of his dad.

Now, if you think we are better off with a specific QB other than Stidham or Nix, then you are totally right.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

If I am a QB coach for the next couple of months I am not even letting JS throw a ball. He would be in the pocket working on his footwork to deal with the pass rush. God awful footwork at the hint of pressure.

Getting sacked so many times and WR s having three routes may have had something to do with that. But yes I agree

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

I wonder if Stidham should take next year's schedule into consideration. Unless a game is 'Gused up' somewhere, Auburn is likely to be at worse 10 and 1 heading to moralsalooser at the end of the year. His stats ought to be sparkling.

Wow... I wish I shared your optimism. Our schedule next year is brutal. While I think LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Ole Miss are all going to struggle through their changes, Washington looked ugly in their bowl, but they still have one of the best QBs in the country returning for his senior year. Then there's Texas A&M under Jimbo and Georgia at home. That's no cake walk.   

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I get where you are coming from, but I think in this case it wasn't about maintaining his reputation, but increasing our ability to recruit the top guys. Whether the fans, admins, students or anyone else cares about NFL projections is irrelevant, since it's the #1 thing the top recruits care about.

It appears like it might finally be paying off with Stidham and hopefully Nix (Gatewood fits the dual-threat mold to a tee, so he would have been interested either way) choosing Auburn. If we focused entirely on QBs running Gus's 2013 offense, instead of making them NFL ready (or at least a balanced player), Stidham would be at A&M and Nix would probably only be giving us lip service because of his dad.

Now, if you think we are better off with a specific QB other than Stidham or Nix, then you are totally right.

I would agree with you except.... Keep in mind, right or wrong (but I think I'm right), your line of thinking is based on having a different mindset as a head coach.  Someone who's flexible and sees the "big picture".

*Tinfoil hat alert* I really & genuinely feel like Gus is still the offensive puppet master and can't get out of his own way.  As long as he's like that, he doesn't need a QB.  He needs a quick & fast (feet & mind) running back who can toss the occasional pass.

Based on the little I've seen of Chip's offense (pre-AU), if Gus will faithfully hand over the reins to him and focus on HC duties then those QB's you mention are the proper targets.

EDIT: To Gus' credit, he truly seems to completely leave CKS to do his job almost 100%.  Thus, what was once the embarrassing weakness of this team has now become it's mighty strength.  Now, if he'll do the same offensively..... Magic!

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Wow... I wish I shared your optimism. Our schedule next year is brutal. While I think LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Ole Miss are all going to struggle through their changes, Washington looked ugly in their bowl, but they still have one of the best QBs in the country returning for his senior year. Then there's Texas A&M under Jimbo and Georgia at home. That's no cake walk.   

Well. The first game will practically be a home game for Auburn plus the quality of our personnel will be better than Washington's. I've never thought much of Fisher as a coach. He made his mark when FSU was the only notable team in the ACC. Now that other teams have caught up to FSU talent wise, Fisher has struggled. For uga, :dunno:. Perhaps they will struggle  the year following the NC game. Teams often do. Auburn will be far better than the rest of the team's on the schedule.

Here, have a glass of kool aid.

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

Here, have a glass of kool aid.

A like just for this :)

It's all about the O-Line for me. If we can get that settled, I think we can beat anyone we face... if not, the jury is out.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I know I'm definitely not one to fall back on the "eye test", but he looked like a more polished and confident passer. I can't argue with the numbers that you presented, but the thing that sticks out to me is that he threw the ball almost 60 more times in 2014, and ran it 20 fewer times for almost 300 fewer yards.  That tells me that the coaches were more confident in calling passes in year 2, and utilized his legs more in the red zone then when driving down the field.

There is also the fact that Gus made it known that the focus between 2013 and 2014 was improving him as a passer.

that had a lot to do with the fact that Greg Robinson was no longer here

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Based on the little I've seen of Chip's offense (pre-AU), if Gus will faithfully hand over the reins to him and focus on HC duties then those QB's you mention are the proper targets.

No disagreement there. I do ponder where the breakdown is... There were quite a few passes that we called but not thrown this year, and it wasn't just because the line breaking down. Let's just say that I'm intrigued to see about the coaching changes that WDE hinted about in another thread. I think we could do better in a couple of positions.

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hopefully, the coaches have a suitable backup plan in case JS goes through with this 

Have they ever had a backup plan? 

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Well. The first game will practically be a home game for Auburn

We have looked terrible in that stadium thus far. Hopefully we change that next year. 

27 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

We have looked terrible in that stadium thus far. Hopefully we change that next year. 

Best to break the trend as soon as possible, since we want to play there every year.

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

From an Auburn perspective, having Jarrett back would give us a chance to go into game 1 know what we have at QB. We play a pretty darn good football team with their proven QB1 returning in the dome that has not been our friend so far. I think we need Jarrett to be able to start quick next year. These receivers are primed up for big years next year IMO, especially until we establish the RB we will run into the ground next year. I think JS will pass for 4,000 yards next year if he stays. 

Barring the game getting gused up we should start much better than year's past. The same great QB who will be even better and the same wr corp minus maybe someone who might get replaced. 

Just now, WFE12 said:

Barring the game getting gused up we should start much better than year's past. The same great QB who will be even better and the same wr corp minus maybe someone who might get replaced. 

Now that Stidham is coming back, I agree. 

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Who are you thinking might get replaced? 

22 hours ago, metafour said:

Nick made little to no "improvements" at his time here that weren't a direct result of simply having more receiving talent around him and the need to throw the ball more as we couldn't rely on just running on every play like in his first season due to personnel losses (Greg Robinson, Prosch, etc).  His raw stats were better because we threw considerably more (logic: the more attempts you make, the more completions and therefore yards and touchdowns you will witness) but his completion percentage and general outlook as a passer was virtually the same from year one to year two.  His plays were still virtually all scripted.  He still over-threw receivers.  He still had the same obvious mechanical flaws.  If he made so many improvements, why was no one in the NFL willing to even give him a summer camp at QB to see if he could improve any further before moving him to DB? Logically if he improved so much in one year in college (he really didn't) then superior NFL coaching should have at least had some semblance of intrigue to see if they could coax out even MORE improvement out of him.

I've explained this a million times and it still comes up.  His perceived "improvement" was simply more pass attempts and more receiving talent.  There was some improvement within the system itself, but any QB should be showing that from year to year as they gain experience within a set system.

You are right.  Nick hit his ceiling as a QB at Auburn and that ceiling wasn't high enough to play QB in the NFL.   Therefore, he is a DB.

23 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Short answer: No!  

Did you talk to him?  I can easily see where JS is looking at what the Oline,  uproven RB situation, and stale offense looks like for next year and say this year is as good as it's getting.  JS like everyone else in Auburnland thought man o man Gus just hired a pretty dand good OC and he said he is going to let him run the offense.  When we took Gus at his word JS and fans had to look at the passing game Chip had rolling at his last two stops and think wow, this could be good.  JS and the fans did not see that.  JS and the fans saw the same offense Gus has ran with only the tiniest sprinkle or philosophies that Chip had.  Chip's past offenses were not WR Screen or deep ball.  The question is legitimate, does JS think another year in this system with less experience around him will cause his draft status to improve or decline.  It's a fair question.  It's not whether he is ready or not.  I think he and everyone in the world knows he has a ton to work on.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Who are you thinking might get replaced? 

I just brought up it as a possibility...Idk if anyone will be replaced but I would like the wr Corp to be shaken up a little bit.

Archived