Jarrett

War to the Eagle

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

He came a long way this year from his rocky start at Clemson and he really showed his stuff in the GA and UAT games. But he still has a long way to go in order to be ready for the NFL.

And if he leaves we'll be fine. After the costly fumble and Pick 6 he made in the Peach Bowl, I was ready to see Malik Willis. I think Malik is going to make us forget Stidham.

based on what? I love these dreamer thoughts, when you havent seen him run our full offense except in mop up duties...

Until you see how he handles pressure...until you see how he throws when he has DTs and DEs crashing around him...until you see him..run the ball series after series...how he takes the pounding..his decision making...

No one has a clue..if he can make us forget JS...and right now.. JS WILL be our starter, so lets make sure he is learning from his mistakes..and now after a full year in the SEC...he shows improvement in 2018....

He better..bc he will be our starter in the fall..(he aint going to the NFL...at best a 4th rounder).

24 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Nick gave credit to the off season and having the time to work with the wr's on their own.  Said he didn't change anything with his mechanics but getting better timing with the wrs and having a better understanding of the offense allowed for things to slow down for him.

This can’t be accurate. Study film of NM’s mechanics from year one to year two and there is a clear difference. While he still overthrew receivers from time-to-time, he was considerably more polished of a passer in ‘14 than he was in ‘13. He would’ve never thrown for 400+ yards against Alabama at Bryant Denny Stadium in 2013. I think if he’d had one more year to develop his pass skills, he wouldn’t have needed to go to the NFL as DB.

34 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Interesting. I haven't seen that quote. Good on him if he was able to do it on his own. 

How else could he have done it?  Seriously, coaches have very very limited access to players in the off-season outside of S&C coaches.  It's not like Gus or Rhett were allowed to take Nick through drills on a daily basis or work with him on his footwork and mechanics.  

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

How else could he have done it?  Seriously, coaches have very very limited access to players in the off-season outside of S&C coaches.  It's not like Gus or Rhett were allowed to take Nick through drills on a daily basis or work with him on his footwork and mechanics.  

Fortunately, our guys can now get help from actual QB coaches.

I don't know how most other college coaches handle things, but it's not unreasonable to speculate that Gus has actually impeded the development of previous QBs. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fortunately, our guys can now get help from actual QB coaches.

I don't know how most other college coaches handle things, but it's not unreasonable to speculate that Gus has actually impeded the development of previous QBs. 

Well, that's a step in a positive direction.  Gus/Rhett didn't allow it back in Nick Marshall's development.

JMHO, but a QB always looks better at his mechanics, footwork and show finesse when he isn't running for his life and having to make split second decisions.  Stidham would have performed much better had his veteran line executed like they'd been taught.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well, that's a step in a positive direction.  Gus/Rhett didn't allow it back in Nick Marshall's development.

JMHO, but a QB always looks better at his mechanics, footwork and show finesse when he isn't running for his life and having to make split second decisions.  Stidham would have performed much better had his veteran line executed like they'd been taught.

To the first part, exactly. Nick absolutely did not get as much help with development as he could have.

To the second part, I agree, but I also feel like there were numerous times in every game this season when he had a comfy pocket for long enough to get rid of the ball and he didn't. Whether he had guys he could have thrown to or not, I can't say for sure. But there were times I'm certain he could have at least "thrown it only where his guy could get it". Kelly Bryant certainly did against us, even after we had already knocked him out of the game for a few plays. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

To the first part, exactly. Nick absolutely did not get as much help with development as he could have.

To the second part, I agree, but I also feel like there were numerous times in every game this season when he had a comfy pocket for long enough to get rid of the ball and he didn't. Whether he had guys he could have thrown to or not, I can't say for sure. But there were times I'm certain he could have at least "thrown it only where his guy could get it". Kelly Bryant certainly did against us. 

I saw same thing. JS needs to work on just trusting his WR. Guys like NCM and Slayton KNOW how to battle for a 50/50 ball...

It looked at times that JS only would throw it if he felt the WR was wide open.(except the pick 6 throw..ugh..lol)

There were times that JS also would run out of the pocket, but wouldnt throw the ball away..causing him to scramble for a loss when he could of just thrown it away and get ready for the next play...

1 hour ago, WDE0007 said:

Just because they had a year at JUCO doesn't mean they weren't around good coaches or good players. Hence why so many JUCO players get recruited year in and year out. So I stand by my statement.

Most Juco players signed by major schools were previously recruited by Div 1 schools out of HS....many actually signed with Div 1 schools but ended up at Juco for academic, discipline or other reasons that prevented them from playing at Div 1.      And not to belittle the Juco coaches but JUCO is not where a prospect goes to develop his football skills.  The coaching and talent level is probably better than a Class 6A HS program....but I'm betting not by much.      Check it out....they were there for rehabilitation purposes...reputation, academics or the like.    

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I saw same thing. JS needs to work on just trusting his WR. Guys like NCM and Slayton KNOW how to battle for a 50/50 ball...

It looked at times that JS only would throw it if he felt the WR was wide open.(except the pick 6 throw..ugh..lol)

There were times that JS also would run out of the pocket, but wouldnt throw the ball away..causing him to scramble for a loss when he could of just thrown it away and get ready for the next play...

Yes. Please. More balls thrown away, fewer sacks, thanks!

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Shoot...every QB looks good when  he can stand back in the pocket for 5 seconds and look all over the field to pick out a receiver....but that's not the way it happens....anywhere....not just AU.     I take it you saw the playoff games and every QB was mostly running for his life all day long....and having to make split second decisions about what to do with the ball on passing plays..........throw it away,  dump it off or try to pick up a couple yards on the ground. ...and make a play that had the least negative effect on his team.

The teams that won were the teams where their QB did not panic and found ways to make lemonade from the lemons.   We ain't there yet.  

There are some fine JUCO coaches that develop, train, and hone the skills of players.  Hell, many SEC schools pull from that pool of talent and have been successful.  Just so happens one of the top programs in the country liberally used the resources of Juco talent to become the consistently elite championship caliber program we've seen take the field for the last 8-10 years.

There may be no other option but Juco, but the coaching provides mental and physical training for their players and the maturity level they gain is immeasurable.

There will always be ?s either way. 

If JS declares this year, he’ll get drafted in the late rounds.  He’ll need and probably have lots of time to “work his way up” to being a QB1.  

If he stays, how productive he will be depends on several factors, most of which aren’t named Jarrett Stidham.  

These are my two biggest reasons why I think he should stay:

We’ve seen really good QBs still go pretty high even on bad teams and/or offenses that don’t fully showcase their skills.  With another year of development with his work ethic he is all but guaranteed to get a much higher grade and higher draft pick by staying. 

Secondly, anyone with half a brain (I hope this includes Gus) can see that the passing game is our best bet for success next year.  We have a ton of depth and talent at the WR position, a talented returning QB, and big questions at RB and OL. An offense built on “quick hitter” passes like short to intermediate  ins, outs, slants, and screens (a lot more than that one perimeter pass to R. Davis?) to set up deeper passes and running game is our only recipe for success in 2018. That makes for really good QB stats!

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Shoot...every QB looks good when  he can stand back in the pocket for 5 seconds and look all over the field to pick out a receiver....but that's not the way it happens....anywhere....not just AU.     I take it you saw the playoff games and every QB was mostly running for his life all day long....and having to make split second decisions about what to do with the ball on passing plays..........throw it away,  dump it off or try to pick up a couple yards on the ground. ...and make a play that had the least negative effect on his team.

The teams that won were the teams where their QB did not panic and found ways to make lemonade from the lemons.   We ain't there yet.  

And the teams that won did it with a couple of 18 & 19 yrs old QBs.  Some got it - Some don't.:dead:

1 minute ago, keesler said:

And the teams that won did it with a couple of 18 & 19 yrs old QBs.  Some got it - Some don't.:dead:

True...Mayfield was the only "mature" QB.....Ga and Clemson had true freshmen and the Bama (and AU) had sophs......I think the Clemson kid got a bit panicked but bama beat up his OL pretty badly right from the start.    And as  you say.....

If I am a QB coach for the next couple of months I am not even letting JS throw a ball. He would be in the pocket working on his footwork to deal with the pass rush. God awful footwork at the hint of pressure.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Bro.....this isn't real is it? Debating to go to the NFL??? Who said this is a good idea?

Cubelic thinks he goes in the top 5 rounds.

And if he goes...we better find a seasoned transfer to compete with Malik for 2018.  Gotta find someone at least better than Adams.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Well... there was Spring and Fall practice. Incidentally, it was also 2014 when the NCAA started allowing on-field coaches 8-hour per week to work with the players. So technically they could have taken him through drills on a daily basis, if they wanted to focus solely on him.

is it possible that Stidham feels another year in Auburns system might actually make him worse as a quarterback and his draft stock us as good as it's going to get? i know tha5s a very negative take but perhaps he feels that auburn does not have a system for developing pro caliber qbs. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

The offense was an absolute Juggernaut in 2013 as-is....so let's change it.

One thing to remember in 2013 was that Gus was catching quite a bit of flack for running an offense that didn't translate to the NFL, especially for the QB position, so he wanted to prove to recruits that QBs would pass at Auburn, too.  After all, there are very few dual-threats that are NFL prospects at that position, and the top QBs want to go to a school that's going to put them in the League.  

I think they also realized that they lost their two best run blockers, so they needed to compensate.

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

is it possible that Stidham feels another year in Auburns system might actually make him worse as a quarterback and his draft stock us as good as it's going to get? i know tha5s a very negative take but perhaps he feels that auburn does not have a system for developing pro caliber qbs. 

i-mean-really-man-really.jpg

10 minutes ago, shabby said:

Short answer: No!  

56 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

There will always be ?s either way. 

If JS declares this year, he’ll get drafted in the late rounds.  He’ll need and probably have lots of time to “work his way up” to being a QB1.  

If he stays, how productive he will be depends on several factors, most of which aren’t named Jarrett Stidham.  

These are my two biggest reasons why I think he should stay:

We’ve seen really good QBs still go pretty high even on bad teams and/or offenses that don’t fully showcase their skills.  With another year of development with his work ethic he is all but guaranteed to get a much higher grade and higher draft pick by staying. 

Secondly, anyone with half a brain (I hope this includes Gus) can see that the passing game is our best bet for success next year.  We have a ton of depth and talent at the WR position, a talented returning QB, and big questions at RB and OL. An offense built on “quick hitter” passes like short to intermediate  ins, outs, slants, and screens (a lot more than that one perimeter pass to R. Davis?) to set up deeper passes and running game is our only recipe for success in 2018. That makes for really good QB stats!

Not to mention if we get the TE Matt Alaimo we are set to have a variety of weapons for Stidham. Like he did after the LSU game GUS needs to use his freaking head! It's like he's come from a foreign country or something for him to not understand that using slant underneath concepts and the like will make things better for your pass offense. He's been coaching for too long seeing soo many different teams have success using these concepts yet he is so friggin' stubborn! With another year of training for our wr's and utilizing a TE like Matt Aliamo and a improved Stidham we should be something to be reckoned with. There's no doubt that we have what you need for a prolific offense, we need the head coach to get with the program and for Chip too.

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

+1 

With the WR depth we have, the great QB situation, and the questions at O line and RB, we should sling it around next year. Pass to set up the run, not vise versa.

I'd love for Chip to be able to be Chip this off season.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

One thing to remember in 2013 was that Gus was catching quite a bit of flack for running an offense that didn't translate to the NFL, especially for the QB position, so he wanted to prove to recruits that QBs would pass at Auburn, too.  After all, there are very few dual-threats that are NFL prospects at that position, and the top QBs want to go to a school that's going to put them in the League.  

I think they also realized that they lost their two best run blockers, so they needed to compensate.

Absolutely, I do not disagree with you about Gus' motives.

He was (still IS?) more worried about his reputation as an offensive genius than his reputation as a championship winning Head Coach.

I'm sure that 2013 offense wouldn't attract a lot of prototype NFL prospects but then, that's the point.  AU people (fans, admins, students....everybody) couldn't care less about NFL projections if our beloved football team suffers.

Give me a Nick Marshall type over a Tom Brady type in the "Gus offense" any day.

Now, again, I say this because I'm in the "Gus is still in control" camp.  If he'd release Chip Lindsey to run HIS offense, then I believe Auburn has the right QB in Stidham.  Honestly, I feel that maybe even Jeremy might have done well in Chip's offense.

Archived