Random Questions

AUslug

Question #1- Someone mentioned something about a big game jinx on tv back in the 70's? What was that all about?

Question #2- Stat maybe can help me with this, in the media guide it says that AU has been on ESPN 50+ times and that is second most in the country, who is number one for apperances on ESPN?

Question #3- When is Auburn goning to have a night game at home?

Game times are all based around TV. If CBS gets our game, it's more than likely going to be at 2:30 unless they are doing a double header which they do sometimes. If it's ESPN, it will be at night. Many times this isn't decided until a couple of weeks before the game, depending on how the season is going at the time. If the game isn't televised, it's up to the University to schedule the game time, and I think they tend to do day games because of cost/personell reasons, at least that is what I have concluded.

Question #1. It was a long time ago so I can't give you specifics but there was a period in the early to mid 70's when Auburn seemed to struggle anytime we played a TV game. It never failed - it seemed every time we would get some rhythm in a game the dreaded TV timeout would pop-up to kill the momentum.

The first game I every watched Auburn play was a TV game against UT in 1969 -- Sullivans first year. I don't remeber the score or even if we won (I don't think we did) but we fumbled 2 or 3 punts that game. Just looked bad. Even Shug Jordan tried to ease the mindset at one point by by adressing the "jinx" with some published comments

We also had a difficult time playing on artifical turf. There were those who said Bryant used his influence to get artifical turf in B'ham just to get another edge on us. Put the two together and you really began to see a negative mindset.

There were very few televised games back then. ABC was the only option with their college game of the week. If you were lucky they sometimes had a double header on some saturdays. WOW - 2 games in one day!

Question #2- Stat maybe can help me with this, in the media guide it says that AU has been on ESPN 50+ times and that is second most in the country, who is number one for apperances on ESPN?

150584[/snapback]

From what I can find, Auburn is still the most televised team on ESPN in the history of that network. As for number of broadcasts overall, Michigan (surprisingly) is the most televised team with 344 games on TV, 119 in a row.. (from www.mgoblue.com)

I really think ESPN will pick up Auburn/GT to start the season, and we can finally have a home game at night since '03 Bama...and maybe Carl Stewart will bust an 80-yard draw up the middle on the first play. :big:

Good question. Certainly the iron bowl this year right?

150586[/snapback]

that depends. If bammer ever gets it's crap back together cbs will be snatching that up as an afternoon game.

I know all about the television junk, it just sucked that this past season we didn't have a home game at night. The GaTech game would be awesome at night, the Bumble Bees wouldn't know what hit them with a Jordan-Hare crowd at night. ESPN loves Auburn and the SEC, I was just wondering who else they love as much as us. Off topic again but a good story. I always laugh when Bammers or other fans go "No one knows who or where Auburn is." Last spring semest I was in Foy getting some lunch and as I was waiting in line an older gentleman struck up a conversation with me. He was with a group of blue hairs doing a college seminar tour and he asked me about Caddilac and told me how he watched Auburn games at home in South Dakota.

I think Georgia Tech/Auburn will either be on ESPN or CBS

As far as Auburn playing a home game at night, I don't know.

I think the last game at night Auburn played at Home was against Tennessee in 03?

I think the last game at night Auburn played at Home was against Tennessee in 03?

150924[/snapback]

Bama 2003.

When you are a Top 10 team, then usually you will get picked up by CBS for Saturday Afternoon. ESPN gets the next choice. I like night games too, but if we are consistently playing at 2:30, then we must be having a good year.

When you are a Top 10 team, then usually you will get picked up by CBS for Saturday Afternoon. ESPN gets the next choice. I like night games too, but if we are consistently playing at 2:30, then we must be having a good year.

150959[/snapback]

I agree about being good and being on CBS, but those tv timeouts are painful, especially in the student section. Whenever we have a game on CBS, they need to be more lax about alcohol, cause some people need it during those 45 minute tv timeouts.

150924[/snapback]

Bama 2003.

150926[/snapback]

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that :D:poke:

150959[/snapback]

Right, but home games against La Monroe, Citadel and La Tech shouldn't ALL require 1:30 kickoffs like they did this past season. Those games aren't on TV. Sure, we wanted the players to get used to the heat for a 1:30 kickoff against La Monroe...ok. But Citadel and La Tech too? That ticked me off...at least let us enjoy a waste of a game like the Citadel or some high school team like that. <_<

More night games!

I would think that the GA TECH game would be on CBS. The only other option for CBS (for SEC home games) would be Boise State @ UGA or Wyoming @ Florida (the rest don't appear that promising).

As for the night game for BAMA 2005, normally Florida plays Florida State the same day so Auburn-Alabama gets bumped to ESPN, but this year the Florida-Florida State game is the following weekend. So it will probably be CBS, unless LSU-Ole Miss or Clemson-SC are better matchups based on rankings or Auburn or Alabama have bad seasons.

Archived