The "Sh*thole Countries" Remark

AUDub

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

LMAO. I love when a poster can say another thinks. Wish I had one of those crystal balls. Maybe you could admit maybe you are wrong? I sure don't know what was said but it seems to me that it is easily determined by the voice recording of the meeting. IF Trump did indeed say it, shame on him.......not a good choice of words.

Agree PT. Shame on him if he said it..... the world has responded. Some of these places sound great. Why would anyone want to be here?

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/trump-****hole-countries-reaction-intl/index.html

In Kenya, Saum Ramadhan, a 23-year-old engineering student at the University of Nairobi, told CNN she found Trump's comments "very offensive, because I think most countries in Africa are pretty stable and we are doing good."
She added: "There might be some struggles, but I think we are doing good. I don't think it's fair to classify all Africa as s***ty. That is absolutely wrong."

Jean Manes, US ambassador to El Salvador, tweeted in Spanish: "I have had the privilege to travel around this beautiful country and meet thousands of Salvadorans. It is an honor to live and work here. We remain 100% committed."

"It sounds like fake news to me," Somali Information Minister Abdirahman Omar Osman said by phone from Mogadishu. "If it's real, it doesn't need a response. Those comments do not deserve a response."

The government of Botswana said it had summoned the US ambassador to the southern African nation to "express its displeasure" over Trump's reported comments, which it views as "highly irresponsibly, reprehensible and racist."
The government said it had also asked the United States to "clarify if Botswana is regarded as a '****hole' country."

Kenyan activist Boniface Mwangi remarked on Twitter, "Africa isn't a ****hole. It's the most beautiful continent in the world. Beautiful, hardworking people. We have diamonds, gold, iron, cobalt, uranium, copper, bauxite, silver, petroleum, cocoa, coffee, tea etc. Sadly we have #****hole leaders like Trump s***ting on us everyday."

7 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I thought progressives like s**thole countries. They sure cheered when Obama tried to make America one.

B7ju1lH.jpg

32 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Agree PT. Shame on him if he said it..... the world has responded. Some of these places sound great. Why would anyone want to be here?

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

It was a campaign statement. (He knows his base.) 

20 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

His base does not care about " statements " can not read anyway. 

his base only cares about results. so far pretty good.

He didn't say it!

He didn't mean it!

Haters!

We don't actually care!

We kinda like it!

We knew that from the jump. That you felt the need to be anonymously disingenuous about it with strangers on the internet is pretty pathetic. 

I took this picture myself. These people are pitiful, but will not assimilate. They come to this place to live off of the government and that's all they do.

I was here to help them, so don't start "pontificating" to me. DSCN2144.JPG.

This is a illegal sanctuary of illegal immigrants, and only a small portion of it. The images are very disturbing. I have been all over this place. These are the "nice" pictures.

We must help them where they are. We cannot bring them all here. I want to know why certain people, aren't taking the money that they raise for these poor people, and spend it for what it was intended for? I have seen this stuff first hand. The majority of them are not looking for work. They have to have a change of their culture . Bringing them here will not do it. They are looking for someone to take care of them. Our entitlement system, in this country cannot possibly sustain all of these people. There are many hard working immigrants, but it isn't true of a lot of them.

The people pictured live in a area the size of a Wal Mart parking lot. There are 45,000 of them there, illegally. They are pitiful, and they need our help, but bringing them here will not solve the problem. It has nothing to do with the color of their skin, or their religion. They must learn to be self-sustaining, just like all of us. You know the old maxim. Give a man a fish etc....

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We knew that from the jump you felt the need to be anonymously disingenuous about it with strangers on the internet is pretty pathetic. 

OMG, this is the absolute worst case of hypocrisy I've ever seen here and that is saying a lot.

9 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

We must help them where they are. We cannot bring them all here. I want to know why certain people, aren't taking the money that they raise for these poor people, and spend it for what it was intended for? I have seen this stuff first hand. The majority of them are not looking for work. They have to have a change of their culture . Bringing them here will not do it. They are looking for someone to take care of them. Our entitlement system, in this country cannot possibly sustain all of these people. There are many hard working immigrants, but it isn't true of a lot of them.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and the pictures. I wish your message could get to all Americans regardless of politics.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:13 AM, homersapien said:

It was a campaign statement. (He knows his base.) 

10 hours ago, Farmer Brown said:

Gee, I didn't realize that "bringing them all here" was the proposition. :-\

I suppose I should point out we cannot bring all those Norwegians here either. 

David Brooks:

Yes, well, I think it’s pretty clearly racist.

It fits into a pattern that we have seen since the beginning of his career, maybe through his father’s career, frankly. There’s been a consistency, pattern of harsh judgment against black and brown people. And so he’s at it again.

And I guess I’m reminded first just the way it’s rotting the Republican Party. This is the one thing Republicans — they can tolerate a lot of things in Donald Trump, but the white identity politics, the racial politics, that’s just a cancer. And that’s the one thing they can’t tolerate, but they are — seem to be tolerating.

My other thought is, we have been with this guy so long, we forget what, like, a normal, admirable political leader or human being looks like. And so a normal, admirable human being is curious about the world, and is sort of interested in different cultures. El Salvador, Haiti, Nigeria, they’re interesting. Has compassion for people from around the world.

It’s hard to live in this country and not have admiration and compassion for the immigrants who come here from Africa, from El Salvador, from Haiti, and like the ambassador we just saw. That story — you meet that story every week.

And so to not have any of that normal human compassion or curiosity go through the guy’s head is part of the deeper character flaw here that we have apparently learned to tolerate.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/shields-and-brooks-on-trumps-shole-comments-fire-and-fury-fallout

On 1/11/2018 at 8:10 PM, AUDub said:

So, what does everybody think? 

see below

On 1/11/2018 at 11:08 PM, homersapien said:

"Context"  :roflol:

I can't believe people are trying to say with a straight face that those countries aren't sh!tholes. We are at such a horrible place in political discourse - Trump said it in a closed doors meeting. How many of you have have vacation homes in effing Haiti? IT's the poorest place in the Western Hemisphere. This is a classic case of picking the wrong battle. This won't move the needle at all. 

Furthermore, the entire argument for the pro-refugee/pro-immigration boils down to it. Their countries are sh!tholes. Literally legally to grant asylum or refugee status you essentially have to prove where they come from is a sh-thole. I google earthed Haiti and was hard pressed to zoom in on the map and not see just sh-hole slums (which i highly recommend, its pretty astonishing - it made poor Andy Cooper cry, but then again if something can disturb his countenance, you know it's sh!tty). Anyhow, we're trying to admit them here because their countries are at the bottom for standard of living but now saying those places are sh-holes is a huge crime. Hell, the immigrants would agree. Why is it being reported as racist? Because black people live there? Trump is so racist that black unemployment is the lowest it has been in 45 years. 

We don't even know what the answer was. Maybe someone told him "the reason all our immigrants come from ****hole countries is because they're shitholes. No one wants to come from Norway because it's great over there." And he responded, "gotcha that makes sense. I was just curious." Good inquisitorial dialogue boys and girls.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:57 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Wapo, excuse me

it's silly that panties are in a wad.  

On 1/12/2018 at 2:13 PM, McLoofus said:

Oh, you and I are both very confident that he did indeed say it. But as long as you weren't in the room, you don't have to admit that. Bully for you!

What's the big deal if he said it? We are talking about Haiti. Google earth it. It's a ****hole. The legal requirement for asylum and the granting of refugee status today essentially requires one to prove that they're coming from a ****hole. I don't know why everyone is all out of whack now. How many vacation homes do you own in Haiti? 

On 1/12/2018 at 11:21 AM, SaltyTiger said:

No excuse Loofus. President Trump is denying it. Why should I believe Dick Durban?

How could someone deny that Haiti is a sh!thole country and keep a straight face? Everyone getting all out of whack about what was said in a closed door meeting is comedic. I don't plan on building a vacation home in Haiti anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Gee, I didn't realize that "bringing them all here" was the proposition. :-\

I suppose I should point out we cannot bring all those Norwegians here either. 

I was referring to the illegal immigrants that have set up these shanty towns in the Caribbean. Their goal is to enter the US, illegally or legally, most illegally. Boat theft is one of the most prevalent crimes in these islands. The boat gets them across the Atlantic to the East coast. I was not implying bringing everyone from every country, and I think you knew that. I think you were being disingenuous.

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

see below

I can't believe people are trying to say with a straight face that those countries aren't sh!tholes. We are at such a horrible place in political discourse - Trump said it in a closed doors meeting. How many of you have have vacation homes in effing Haiti? IT's the poorest place in the Western Hemisphere. This is a classic case of picking the wrong battle. This won't move the needle at all. 

Furthermore, the entire argument for the pro-refugee/pro-immigration boils down to it. Their countries are sh!tholes. Literally legally to grant asylum or refugee status you essentially have to prove where they come from is a sh-thole. I google earthed Haiti and was hard pressed to zoom in on the map and not see just sh-hole slums (which i highly recommend, its pretty astonishing - it made poor Andy Cooper cry, but then again if something can disturb his countenance, you know it's sh!tty). Anyhow, we're trying to admit them here because their countries are at the bottom for standard of living but now saying those places are sh-holes is a huge crime. Hell, the immigrants would agree. Why is it being reported as racist? Because black people live there? Trump is so racist that black unemployment is the lowest it has been in 45 years. 

We don't even know what the answer was. Maybe someone told him "the reason all our immigrants come from ****hole countries is because they're shitholes. No one wants to come from Norway because it's great over there." And he responded, "gotcha that makes sense. I was just curious." Good inquisitorial dialogue boys and girls.

it's silly that panties are in a wad.  

"s***  Hole"

That is about as insulting you can get.  Any culture in the world would be seriously offended by it.

While it doesn't matter if you or I say that such a thing, but if the president of the United States says it, it becomes is a serious diplomatic insult.  That's just simple fact. 

It's stupid for our president to insult friendly countries for absolutely no reason, just stupid.

You can rant all you want about how you think it's justified and people have their "panties in a wad" but it's highly irresponsible for the POTUS to actually say it. 

That's the part of the presidency that Trump simply does not get.  From his behavior, he clearly has no understanding - much less respect - for the demands of the office.

It's "silly" - and sad - that someone has to explain this to you.

16 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I was referring to the illegal immigrants that have set up these shanty towns in the Caribbean. Their goal is to enter the US, illegally or legally, most illegally. Boat theft is one of the most prevalent crimes in these islands. The boat gets them across the Atlantic to the East coast. I was not implying bringing everyone from every country, and I think you knew that. I think you were being disingenuous.

None of that represents a valid excuse to not allow legal immigration from Haiti.  

Archived