VERY IMPORTANT!! Football Related

Jenny AU-92

Just got this email from my friend John in Iraq - he is an Apache pilot, located at the moment somewhere around Bagdahd. He's been flying patrols along the Tigris River lately and sent me some cool pics.

ANYWAY - here's his request, and if anyone of you guys can help, I would appreciate it. I have been looking but so far, nothing on the Internet. PM me if you have anything, and I will send you my email address.

He is a little off on the game - it was 1996, but it was actually the INDEPENDENCE Bowl - close, and not too shabby for going off memory in a combat zone! :lol:

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Jenny

Jen,

My Commander/Co-pilot is a West Pointer.  He and I give each other grief continually about our schools.  Auburn beat Army in the Liberty Bowl back in 96 I believe.  If you can find a photo of the game, especially with the final scoreboard, I would appreciate it.  I plan on making it his computer desktop.

Thanks,

John

“If you can read this, thank a teacher;

if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.”

Thats the game were Army kicked a field goal to win but the goal post was leaning and the kick missed. If the goal post was right the kick would had gone though and Army would had won.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Thats the game were Army kicked a field goal to win but the goal post was leaning and the kick missed.  If the goal post was right the kick would had gone though and Army would had won.

150927[/snapback]

Wrong, that kick would have tied the game. Final score was 32-29. Auburn at one point had a 32-7 lead and Army scored 22 points in the fourth quarter in addition to driving far enough down the field to attempt the final field goal. But unless that particular kick would have counted 4 points, then we would have been headed to overtime.

Thats the game were Army kicked a field goal to win but the goal post was leaning and the kick missed.  If the goal post was right the kick would had gone though and Army would had won.

150927[/snapback]

Wrong, that kick would have tied the game. Final score was 32-29. Auburn at one point had a 32-7 lead and Army scored 22 points in the fourth quarter in addition to driving far enough down the field to attempt the final field goal. But unless that particular kick would have counted 4 points, then we would have been headed to overtime.

150930[/snapback]

Darnit you beat me to it, was just about to post that.. Oh well.. lol

Okay found it, it was the 96 Independence Bowl. 

Date                  Bowl            Opp.    Score        Coach

12-31-96  Independence  Army  32-29  Terry Bowden

150929[/snapback]

Yeah, Independence Bowl...Jenny made the correction for John in the original post.

150927[/snapback]

150930[/snapback]

I don't think they had overtime back then. My Father and I were at that game, what a great time! (Except for us blowing the huge lead with conservative play)

Guest Tigrinum Major

150927[/snapback]

150930[/snapback]

I don't think they had overtime back then. My Father and I were at that game, what a great time! (Except for us blowing the huge lead with conservative play)

150965[/snapback]

Overtime was insitutued for the first time in a Division 1 game in December, 1995 in the Las Vegas Bowl between Nevada and Toledo. Research, people, research! Just because you don't think something doesn't make it so!

Kinda like some of the opinions floating around the board from time to time!

Overtime was insitutued for the first time in a Division 1 game in December, 1995 in the Las Vegas Bowl between Nevada and Toledo.  Research, people, research!  Just because you don't think something doesn't make it so! 

Kinda like some of the opinions floating around the board from time to time!

150971[/snapback]

That's why I said "I don't think" it was in yet. I didn't remember when it was started. I knew someone would look it up or already know, thank you. That was not an opinion, just a guess. Anyway,...good thing we didn't go into overtime, I don't feel like we had enough left to win the game. We could have and should have, but it would have been very hard to do so. Army had all the momentum going their way and we looked down and out.

We had overtime in 1996?

I was thinking we had Georgia beat that year at Jordan-Hare until the last freakin' play of the game.

Three and a half months later, Georgia had a 56-49 win.

We had overtime in 1996?

I was thinking we had Georgia beat that year at Jordan-Hare until the last freakin' play of the game.

150981[/snapback]

The Auburn - Georgia game was the first use of the overtime rule in NCAA Div 1, was it not? After that game, the next year they put in the automatic 2 pt conversion after the second overtime, remember?

ANYWAY, now that my thread has been hijacked...

I am pretty sure there is not a picture of the scoreboard - but could any of you geniuses photshop one for me????????? :big: Like that Pointer will know the difference. It's jsut a gag anyway, but a GOOD gag on behalf of a brave Auburn fighting man. So come on, guys!!!

Guest Tigrinum Major
We had overtime in 1996?

150981[/snapback]

The Auburn - Georgia game was the first use of the overtime rule in NCAA Div 1, was it not? After that game, the next year they put in the automatic 2 pt conversion after the second overtime, remember?

ANYWAY, now that my thread has been hijacked...

I am pretty sure there is not a picture of the scoreboard - but could any of you geniuses photshop one for me????????? :big: Like that Pointer will know the difference. It's jsut a gag anyway, but a GOOD gag on behalf of a brave Auburn fighting man. So come on, guys!!!

150994[/snapback]

The first OT game was in teh Las Vegas Bowl in 1995, between Nevada and Toledo.

Sorry about the hi-jack ( I seem to have a tendency to do that.) And I can't help ya with the PhotoShop.

Other than that, I hope your friend is safe and comes home in one piece.

The first OT game was in the Las Vegas Bowl in 1995, between Nevada and Toledo.

150997[/snapback]

The AU-GA game was the first SEC OT game. Close enough. ;)

And I STILL need a photoshopper - maybe I need to re-do this thread somewhere else...

Jenny... go to:

www.geocities.com/sfr99

I found the Independence Bowl scoreboard but had to add the team names.

151426[/snapback]

OH MAN! I would totally hug you now if you were here!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I will let you know how the story ends once John dumps this on the Pointer... GO TIGERS!!!

You ROCK!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Archived