Cox's `good spring'

quietfan

FYI--not that this will end the debate among fans or on this Board--

The Birmingham News:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...54724212440.xml

AUBURN - The race to become Auburn's new starting quarterback didn't turn out to be much of a race at all this spring.

Brandon Cox has run laps around the competition and has already been declared the winner going into Saturday's A-Day Game. That became the foregone conclusion as spring practice progressed.

"He's clearly ahead of the rest of them. There's no question about it," offensive coordinator Al Borges said on Wednesday.

Cox, the backup to Jason Campbell last year, has been the steadiest performer this spring, beating back Calvin Booker, Blake Field and Dustin Goodwin.

Cox hasn't put up huge numbers in Auburn's two scrimmages, and barely played the second half of last season, but Borges said Cox has had "a good spring."

"You can't take interceptions back, but other than the two balls he threw last week, he's been pretty accurate. He's shown a nice command of the offense. The offense has certainly had confidence in him," Borges said.

Cox should be used to spring success. The former Hewitt-Trussville High School standout was 20-of-22 passing in his last two scrimmages last year, and was even named the MVP of the A-Day Game. He'll have a chance to defend that title in Saturday's 1 p.m. game.

Cox was the logical choice to come out of spring practice on top of the depth chart. He was 22-of-34 passing last year. Booker and Field were redshirted. Goodwin, a walk-on, got in one game. Still, Cox figured he had to show something this spring.

"We really didn't have a No. 1. Nobody had experience and nobody was proven," Cox said. "Out of everybody, I had the most experience, but it wasn't much. My goal was to come in and be the quarterback and use what little experience I had to my advantage."

I didn't realize he was 22-of-34 during the little playing tme he got last year. ...Can't complain about that percentage.

Cox? AU's STARTING QB? Imagine that! :D

Interesting statement : "It didn't turn out to be much of a race at all."

Seriously, I am happy to see that he is progressing nicely in AB's system. He, as well as the other qbs, will only get better with time and practice. :au:

Yep i'll be there this saturday, cant wait....anyone going to the crawfish broil that is held later that night next to the coliseium (check spelling)? I went last year....stuff was GOOOOOOOD

Nope, I'm goin' for wings at a little place I know on College. Boy's night out don't cha' know. :big:

Okay, my 4 year old will be with me but he likes Hoo...I mean wings, too.

Nope, I'm goin' for wings at a little place I know on College.  Boy's night out don't cha' know. :big:

151339[/snapback]

Be careful what you "say" in that "wing" establishment Esquire. That 4 year old son might repeat it to Mommy! :D

Nope, I'm goin' for wings at a little place I know on College.  Boy's night out don't cha' know. :big:

151339[/snapback]

"A new ordinance has been enacted by the Health Dept. because of the Hooters girls. Their shorts are so short they now have to wear hair nets." Larry The Cable Guy :):(:big:

didn't someone on here claim that the QB race was a lock before it even began?  ha!

BRILLIANT!  :D

atta boy WT  :cheer: !

151351[/snapback]

Actually, you might want to write it on the wall and date it! :D:thumbsup:

151339[/snapback]

"A new ordinance has been enacted by the Health Dept. because of the Hooters girls. Their shorts are so short they now have to wear hair nets." Larry The Cable Guy :):(:big:

151342[/snapback]

hahaha :lol:

Archived