Devan Barrett as WR

thaitopher

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

If we used him like Ole Miss did Evan Ingram our O would be a nightmare to defend.

Big IF in there. :laugh:

It's nice to dream though

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Big IF in there. :laugh:

It's nice to dream though

I really don’t understand why this is so hard to do . To be fair Sal possibly could’ve been that. There is still hope. They need to get his confidence back up. Don’t like that they barely used him after a couple of drops. I think a quick hitter would’ve done wonders for him. Kind of like pulling a shooting guard after a couple of miss shots and never playing them again. 

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really don’t understand why this is so hard to do . To be fair Sal possibly could’ve been that. There is still hope. They need to get his confidence back up. Don’t like that they barely used him after a couple of drops. I think a quick hitter would’ve done wonders for him. Kind of like pulling a shooting guard after a couple of miss shots and never playing them again. 

I have to wonder if he was dropping them in practice too. 

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

Possibly accurate. That would make a lot more sense. Guy needs some confidence. And with this offense we need a TE. I know we set records last year but to be over the top, it would be huge.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Possibly accurate. That would make a lot more sense. Guy needs some confidence. And with this offense we need a TE. I know we set records last year but to be over the top, it would be huge.

Needs muscle to.  Plus he was struggling with separating in man coverage And then dropping the easy ones in the soft zone areas

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Btw, Devan low key might have better hands than stove. This could be a great role for him.

DAG I think you might be on to something.  Jarrett never threw the check down to Stove.  

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Needs muscle to.  Plus he was struggling with separating in man coverage And then dropping the easy ones in the soft zone areas

This is true as well. He was not ready for SEC play last year. Here is to hoping he is ready this year. We need veteran leadership.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah. Go back and watch last year s spring game.. We were dumping the ball of immediately over the middle with the backup qbs. I'm not sure what happened to that but those quick passes could easily be to TE s and slot guys. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

I love the idea of JG at TE/big slot.  

QB: Nix

WR: Pickens

RB: Cain

TE: Gatewood

That'd be awesome

And possibly with seniors/redshirt juniors at center and both tackle spots in Trox, Brahms and Ashley, for that first year at least. 

But from a roster management standpoint right now, are we really okay with Devin Adams being QB3? 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

And possibly with seniors/redshirt juniors at center and both tackle spots in Trox, Brahms and Ashley, for that first year at least. 

But from a roster management standpoint right now, are we really okay with Devin Adams being QB3? 

I think, this year, you could work Gatewood at both positions, which it sounds like is what they are doing by tinkering with him at receiver. In Birds scenario, it's much more scary, as it would leave us without a QB3 (Adams is going into his final season, so he and Nix won't overlap), or require adding another to this years class to be QB3 for the next couple of years, and leave us with an unknown commodity at QB2 going into Nix 3rd season. While I think Joey would be great to throw in at tight end in some packages, I think it's a big risk to stop developing him as a QB. 

Of course, there's also the chance that he has what it takes to win the QB position, in which case, he's the kind of athlete that helps teams win championships. Unlike our previous project QBs, he didn't really have the level of attention in high school, so we can't assume he won't be great with some development time just because he's not making waves in his first Spring.

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think, this year, you could work Gatewood at both positions, which it sounds like is what they are doing by tinkering with him at receiver. In Birds scenario, it's much more scary, as it would leave us without a QB3 (Adams is going into his final season, so he and Nix won't overlap), or require adding another to this years class to be QB3 for the next couple of years, and leave us with an unknown commodity at QB2 going into Nix 3rd season. While I think Joey would be great to throw in at tight end in some packages, I think it's a big risk to stop developing him as a QB. 

Of course, there's also the chance that he has what it takes to win the QB position, in which case, he's the kind of athlete that helps teams win championships. Unlike our previous project QBs, he didn't really have the level of attention in high school, so we can't assume he won't be great with some development time just because he's not making waves in his first Spring.

That's my thing.

I dunno. Maybe the most prudent coaching decision right now is to put the guys where they're supposed to be and just proceed under the assumption that we won't need a QB3. Maybe I'm just still shook by 2015-16. 

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's my thing.

I dunno. Maybe the most prudent coaching decision right now is to put the guys where they're supposed to be and just proceed under the assumption that we won't need a QB3. Maybe I'm just still shook by 2015-16. 

I hope we NEVER go without quality a QB3 ever again. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's my thing.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I hope we NEVER go without quality a QB3 ever again. 

Thirded!

14 hours ago, alexava said:

He was catching everything in practice it seemed like from what the coaches and players said.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:39 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

I never saw him as a threat to be a full time rb. Situation type guy at best . Just my opinion. I hope he tears it up at wr 

Agree. Being in the position we were in regarding RB last season, some of the moves that were not made at that position were telling in regards to Barrett and Miller. I wouldn't be surprised if both transferred. I think Asa and Whitlow are going to make a great combo. 

Quan Bray is about to enter his 4th NFL season...that's got to be enticing to Barrett and is how I would sell the position switch to him.  Can't Miller move to HB?

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Quan Bray is about to enter his 4th NFL season...that's got to be enticing to Barrett and is how I would sell the position switch to him.  Can't Miller move to HB?

Last I heard, Miller was solidly in the mix at RB. He had his issues last season but he was getting a lot of quality work as a freshman and was a damned good RB in high school. Also, he actually cut about 15 lbs his senior year in high school so that he would be ready to play RB at Auburn. I don't think he's headed to HB. 

Lots of tweener guys in the NFL these days making a lot of money. Sounds like Barrett is making the right decision where Roc Thomas made the wrong one. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Last I heard, Miller was solidly in the mix at RB. He had his issues last season but he was getting a lot of quality work as a freshman and was a damned good RB in high school. Also, he actually cut about 15 lbs his senior year in high school so that he would be ready to play RB at Auburn. I don't think he's headed to HB. 

The big question is, who is going to play HB in 2019 or if Cox goes down?

Just now, lionheartkc said:

The big question is, who is going to play HB in 2019 or if Cox goes down?

A big question, indeed. Surprised to see Schenker still 3rd on most depth charts. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

I thought about Roc too. I was hoping he stayed and took that roll head on. Maybe DB will.

agree..but if he considers the success Roc had, he might be encouraged to make a similar move...... hope not.....but ?

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

agree..but if he considers the success Roc had, he might be encouraged to make a similar move...... hope not.....but ?

I just looked it up. Didn't realize what kind of season he ended up having. NFL.com projects him as a 5th rounder. Better than I would have expected. Good for him.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I just looked it up. Didn't realize what kind of season he ended up having. NFL.com projects him as a 5th rounder. Better than I would have expected. Good for him.

Yep, think Roc is about the only transfer from AU who had a really good career elsewhere.   

For the most part our transfers just validate the reason they were not playing much when here.....and most of them step down a notch too.   Roc moved down....but he made it pay.....had a good career at Jax State and was very valuable to their runs at FCS championships.    As for Barrett.....would just as soon see him here when football starts.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Yep, think Roc is about the only transfer from AU who had a really good career elsewhere.   

For the most part our transfers just validate the reason they were not playing much when here.....and most of them step down a notch too.   Roc moved down....but he made it pay.....had a good career at Jax State and was very valuable to their runs at FCS championships.    As for Barrett.....would just as soon see him here when football starts.

I'll be curious to see if Truitt makes noise at UNC now that he's eligible to play, but otherwise... yup. 

Archived