Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

What’s up guys

This beer was so interesting, I thought I had to post something. Cigar City IPA aged in Spanish cedar. Like drinking an IPA and smoking a cigar at the same time. Not my favorite, but this is definitely interesting enough to recommend. 0C39F994-5CC0-47CC-AB40-2DF9CE32EEDD.jpeg

14 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What’s up guys

This beer was so interesting, I thought I had to post something. Cigar City IPA aged in Spanish cedar. Like drinking an IPA and smoking a cigar at the same time. Not my favorite, but this is definitely interesting enough to recommend. 0C39F994-5CC0-47CC-AB40-2DF9CE32EEDD.jpeg

Sounds similar to their White Oak Jai Alai. I've had beers aged on cedar and the white oak has some of the same notes. It's certainly an occasional thing and not an every day craving for me but I rather enjoy it. Especially since I don't smoke cigars. Maybe that's why I like rauchbiers, Islay scotches and cedar/oak aged beers so much? Enough about me.

Speaking of CCB, I guess they're part of some sort of syndicate ("Canarchy"?) with a few other breweries, including Oskar Blues? I found a 12-pack sampler of 4 IPAs from 4 breweries. Jai Alai and Can-O-Bliss were two of them. The price was right and all 4 beers are solid post-yardwork/dinner beers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sounds similar to their White Oak Jai Alai. I've had beers aged on cedar and the white oak has some of the same notes. It's certainly an occasional thing and not an every day craving for me but I rather enjoy it. Especially since I don't smoke cigars. Maybe that's why I like rauchbiers, Islay scotches and cedar/oak aged beers so much? Enough about me.

Speaking of CCB, I guess they're part of some sort of syndicate ("Canarchy"?) with a few other breweries, including Oskar Blues? I found a 12-pack sampler of 4 IPAs from 4 breweries. Jai Alai and Can-O-Bliss were two of them. The price was right and all 4 beers are solid post-yardwork/dinner beers. 

Yeah I've had the White Oak and I think I prefer it to the Spanish Cedar, although the SC is definitely worth a try. I've just never had anything like it. I think if you like islay scotches, you might find it interesting too. 

Nice heads up on the sampler, too. I'm a big fan of Oskar Blues and CCB!

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah I've had the White Oak and I think I prefer it to the Spanish Cedar, although the SC is definitely worth a try. I've just never had anything like it. I think if you like islay scotches, you might find it interesting too. 

Nice heads up on the sampler, too. I'm a big fan of Oskar Blues and CCB!

Oh, I'm pretty sure I'd like it. I'll look for it.

You might have to go to TX to find it, but if you ever come across this guy and are feeling adventurous, Jester King El Cedro is pretty wild. 

On 12/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, McLoofus said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure I'd like it. I'll look for it.

You might have to go to TX to find it, but if you ever come across this guy and are feeling adventurous, Jester King El Cedro is pretty wild. 

Ever been to the Jester King brewery?  Freaking awesome.  Literally in a pasture right outside of Austin and they have an outdoor stone oven for baking fresh pizza.  Worse ways to spend a spring afternoon.

Did anyone catch the drama over the holidays about 450 North and their ambiguous(false) ABV % for their purée sours/slushies? The memes have pretty humorous. 

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2019/12/30/first-it-was-exploding-cans-now-450-north-shrugs-off-miscalculated-abvs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ever been to the Jester King brewery?  Freaking awesome.  Literally in a pasture right outside of Austin and they have an outdoor stone oven for baking fresh pizza.  Worse ways to spend a spring afternoon.

No, but I would really like to. Just about every brewery I've been to has been urban. I've actually been thinking about that a lot lately. I want that experience where I'm sitting by a fire pit on a creek or overlooking a mountain range or sitting in a big pasture eating pizza.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Did anyone catch the drama over the holidays about 450 North and their ambiguous(false) ABV % for their purée sours/slushies? The memes have pretty humorous. 

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2019/12/30/first-it-was-exploding-cans-now-450-north-shrugs-off-miscalculated-abvs

Yeesh. Very few breweries get it exactly right but off by 5 1/2%???

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeesh. Very few breweries get it exactly right but off by 5 1/2%???

And this is a hype AF brewery. Lines all the time, crazy release crowds, etc. I’m sure their fermented purée tastes great, but if I’m being sold a 4pk for close to $20 at 2.5% abv, I’m feeling swindled. 

• Like 1

Where has this thread been hiding?!? The only reason I found it was from the derailment of the "Minnesota post game" thread that turned into beer talk. Thanks ShocksMyBrain! Favorite sours, go! 

Me personally, ever since I had New Belgiums Le Terroir it just seems like nothing else compares. It's super sour( which I love, I'm the kind of idiot that would burn my mouth out with war heads as a child) but very complex and balanced at the same time. It has one taste up front, and then a different secondary taste as it washes over the back of your tongue. Just beautiful. 

Edited by WeaglWeaglWDE
  • Like 3

On 1/4/2020 at 12:56 AM, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

Where has this thread been hiding?!? The only reason I found it was from the derailment of the "Minnesota post game" thread that turned into beer talk. Thanks ShocksMyBrain! Favorite sours, go! 

Me personally, ever since I had New Belgiums Le Terroir it just seems like nothing else compares. It's super sour( which I love, I'm the kind of idiot that would burn my mouth out with war heads as a child) but very complex and balanced at the same time. It has one taste up front, and then a different secondary taste as it washes over the back of your tongue. Just beautiful. 

Welcome! They put us in the hole after we took over the All Things Considered a few years ago. 

Im not a big sours fan. They sour just crushed my palate. So, I stick to mainly everything else.😬

On 1/3/2020 at 9:27 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

And this is a hype AF brewery. Lines all the time, crazy release crowds, etc. I’m sure their fermented purée tastes great, but if I’m being sold a 4pk for close to $20 at 2.5% abv, I’m feeling swindled. 

They are either extremely dumb or they think their clientele is extremely dumb. How in the hell did they not know that adding a mega-sh@t ton of fruit purée/adjunct post fermentation would dilute the ABV? It’s literally basic math. Yet, there are still folks that are like “Come at me bro. Fight me” if anyone makes fun of 450. Whatever. If you are having to add shots of tequila to your beer to get the effect, just drink a damn smoothie.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mrs. Loof and I are doing Dryuary. Having trouble sleeping. Fighting a lot. Marriage is falling apart. Getting fatter because I'm replacing alcohol with sweets. 

But we're getting a lot done!

(Nah, it's fine. But February 1st will be like getting out of prison.)

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mrs. Loof and I are doing Dryuary. Having trouble sleeping. Fighting a lot. Marriage is falling apart. Getting fatter because I'm replacing alcohol with sweets. 

But we're getting a lot done!

(Nah, it's fine. But February 1st will be like getting out of prison.)

I’ll do it at some point this year as well. I don’t drink any alcohol during the work week and tend to taper back on weekends when there is tons of stuff to do. However, it can also lead to overindulging since I’m not drinking during the week. It’s all about balance.

Here’s to February 1st!

37 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’ll do it at some point this year as well. I don’t drink any alcohol during the work week and tend to taper back on weekends when there is tons of stuff to do. However, it can also lead to overindulging since I’m not drinking during the week. It’s all about balance.

Here’s to February 1st!

Dude, that is so true. It is very hard not to try to make up for lost time on Friday nights when you are taking it easy during the week.

• Like 1

While you nerds are not drinking...just kidding. I literally am not able to have dry any month due to work—darn.

Me: “Cool, a new Stone I haven’t had”

OPhDj5x.jpg

Also me: “Oh. 😐

sdc13sk.jpg

$12.50 for a 4% beer. And people are paying $20 for 4pks of 2.5% glorified Radlers. GTFO. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

While you nerds are not drinking...just kidding. I literally am not able to have dry any month due to work—darn.

Me: “Cool, a new Stone I haven’t had”

OPhDj5x.jpg

Also me: “Oh. 😐

sdc13sk.jpg

$12.50 for a 4% beer. And people are paying $20 for 4pks of 2.5% glorified Radlers. GTFO. 

This was a perfectly crafted post. Especially because I agree. 

Who the hell wants to pay $12.50 for a beer designed to disappear faster/in more quantity? Is there really a huge demand from people who get knocked to the floor because their only beer for the night was a big ol' 6%???

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This was a perfectly crafted post. Especially because I agree. 

Who the hell wants to pay $12.50 for a beer designed to disappear faster/in more quantity? Is there really a huge demand from people who get knocked to the floor because their only beer for the night was a big ol' 6%???

I’m also partially to blame for not reading the package before I picked it up. But being Stone, I didn’t even know they were capable of brewing something under 6%.

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m also partially to blame for not reading the package before I picked it up. But being Stone, I didn’t even know they were capable of brewing something under 6%.

Yeah, exactly. Not really your fault. See Stone IPA, buy Stone IPA. 

• Like 1

FYI...news from Parish below.

In case y’all didn’t see this update regarding Parish Brewing Company:

“We just completed another successful trip around the sun.  Welcome to the future!

2019 was another year of pushing beyond old boundaries for Parish. We now distribute our full portfolio from east Texas to Miami and as far north as the southern Tennessee border.  We executed several new innovative beer concepts that were amazing, including many new SIPS iterations, several new juice-bomb IPAs, our pilsner by the 6-pack, and delicious new barrel aged and adjunct pastry stouts.  We also added a new canning line which allows us to diversify our package offerings.  The facility could not keep up with demand, so we added even more 120bbl fermenters to increase our brewing capacity.  We added to our team here as well with talented new personnel in almost every area from production to sales and marketing.  The brewery sold just shy of 20,000 barrels of beer in 2019, which is a significant jump from 2018 where we sold close to 16,500 barrels.  To put 20,000 barrels into perspective, that’s more than 6.5 million 12oz bottles of beer!  Finally, near the end of 2019, we were honored to win our first gold medal at the GABF with our Pure Tropics IPA.  We sold more Canebrake in 2019 than all other products, but Ghost will likely surpass Canebrake in 2020 as it is still growing like crazy.  Our team has a lot to be proud of!

This year we will push further into new fruit beer frontiers, hoppier and different DIPAs and IPAs, and barrel aged and adjunct beers. You can also expect new collaborative efforts with our friends from other breweries. The first new beer of 2020 will be Braincake, a double Citra/Strata/Cashmere DIPA with double wheat.  It will be distributed in 16oz cans in all our current markets. Next will be Royal Earth, a brewery-only 750mL thick barleywine aged for over a year in apple brandy barrels with roasted pecans, Korintje cinnamon, and Madagascar vanilla. It will taste reminiscent of apple pie and vanilla ice cream. This will be the first beer in a series of barrel aged EARTH beers, all created and inspired by orchard fruit and pie or cobbler ingredients. .  Every month we will launch something well-executed and awesome, so check our social media early and often if you want to know when something is about to drop.

Most exciting of all, we are launching some heat into year-round distribution.  In February we will launch our FIRST YEAR ROUND IPA EVER in 12oz cans.  We’ve made enough hop juice bombs that we have the technology, so we know how to build it.  Dr. Juice will be available in 6pack 12oz cans in all markets.  6% ABV.  Smooth, crushable hop juice.  We hope Dr. Juice is your new go-to IPA. There’s more… We will be packaging three different SIPS beers into 12oz 4packs this spring!  Pinot Noir Black Currant, Parish Sunrise, and Grenache Raspberry will go into 12oz clear bottles (yes, they look colorfully awesome) and be sold to all markets in March.  Of course, we will keep making the beers people love like Ghost, Canebrake, Envie, Rêve, and others, and we’ll keep working to create the next high quality and innovative beer you haven’t had yet. Thank you all for your continued support, as we truly could not keep pushing boundaries in the beer world without you. We look forward to a successful 2020 with you by our side.

Cheers y’all.  Lets get to it.

Andrew Godley

Founder and President, Parish Brewing Co.”

16 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

FYI...news from Parish below.

In case y’all didn’t see this update regarding Parish Brewing Company:

“We just completed another successful trip around the sun.  Welcome to the future!

2019 was another year of pushing beyond old boundaries for Parish. We now distribute our full portfolio from east Texas to Miami and as far north as the southern Tennessee border.  We executed several new innovative beer concepts that were amazing, including many new SIPS iterations, several new juice-bomb IPAs, our pilsner by the 6-pack, and delicious new barrel aged and adjunct pastry stouts.  We also added a new canning line which allows us to diversify our package offerings.  The facility could not keep up with demand, so we added even more 120bbl fermenters to increase our brewing capacity.  We added to our team here as well with talented new personnel in almost every area from production to sales and marketing.  The brewery sold just shy of 20,000 barrels of beer in 2019, which is a significant jump from 2018 where we sold close to 16,500 barrels.  To put 20,000 barrels into perspective, that’s more than 6.5 million 12oz bottles of beer!  Finally, near the end of 2019, we were honored to win our first gold medal at the GABF with our Pure Tropics IPA.  We sold more Canebrake in 2019 than all other products, but Ghost will likely surpass Canebrake in 2020 as it is still growing like crazy.  Our team has a lot to be proud of!

This year we will push further into new fruit beer frontiers, hoppier and different DIPAs and IPAs, and barrel aged and adjunct beers. You can also expect new collaborative efforts with our friends from other breweries. The first new beer of 2020 will be Braincake, a double Citra/Strata/Cashmere DIPA with double wheat.  It will be distributed in 16oz cans in all our current markets. Next will be Royal Earth, a brewery-only 750mL thick barleywine aged for over a year in apple brandy barrels with roasted pecans, Korintje cinnamon, and Madagascar vanilla. It will taste reminiscent of apple pie and vanilla ice cream. This will be the first beer in a series of barrel aged EARTH beers, all created and inspired by orchard fruit and pie or cobbler ingredients. .  Every month we will launch something well-executed and awesome, so check our social media early and often if you want to know when something is about to drop.

Most exciting of all, we are launching some heat into year-round distribution.  In February we will launch our FIRST YEAR ROUND IPA EVER in 12oz cans.  We’ve made enough hop juice bombs that we have the technology, so we know how to build it.  Dr. Juice will be available in 6pack 12oz cans in all markets.  6% ABV.  Smooth, crushable hop juice.  We hope Dr. Juice is your new go-to IPA. There’s more… We will be packaging three different SIPS beers into 12oz 4packs this spring!  Pinot Noir Black Currant, Parish Sunrise, and Grenache Raspberry will go into 12oz clear bottles (yes, they look colorfully awesome) and be sold to all markets in March.  Of course, we will keep making the beers people love like Ghost, Canebrake, Envie, Rêve, and others, and we’ll keep working to create the next high quality and innovative beer you haven’t had yet. Thank you all for your continued support, as we truly could not keep pushing boundaries in the beer world without you. We look forward to a successful 2020 with you by our side.

Cheers y’all.  Lets get to it.

Andrew Godley

Founder and President, Parish Brewing Co.”

Congrats to them! Well earned.

Damn. I might have to approach you about another trade. I had almost stopped having happy little boy dreams about Reve. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Congrats to them! Well earned.

Damn. I might have to approach you about another trade. I had almost stopped having happy little boy dreams about Reve. 

I’ll start collecting appropriately...

• Love 1

• Members Online