Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

But seriously, my brain wants to make that double wheating result in a "softness" perhaps? Or maybe a "smoothing" effect. This beer is waaaaaay too damn smooth for a damn near imperial sized ABV.

Okay, so this is exactly where I was leaning. I know that sometimes oats are used to do exactly this. And wheat is used to do the same thing in bourbon. Might up the sugar a little, not sure. Almost certainly contributes to the haze. Straight up wheat beers tend to be more opaque than clear. 

Amen about that treasure trove. It's wild to hang out with real brewmasters. They really are just biochemists who refuse to tuck their shirts in. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, so this is exactly where I was leaning. I know that sometimes oats are used to do exactly this. And wheat is used to do the same thing in bourbon. Might up the sugar a little, not sure. Almost certainly contributes to the haze. Straight up wheat beers tend to be more opaque than clear. 

Amen about that treasure trove. It's wild to hang out with real brewmasters. They really are just biochemists who refuse to tuck their shirts in. 

Exactly. I think the guy that runs Parish was a nuclear physicist? Or something rocket surgery-ish like that. So, naturally, beer...

• Love 1

@McLoofus, this might make you frustrated. Nearly every beer has some sort of adjunct, lactose, etc. in it except for the Commonwealth Brewing stuff-IPA/DIPA/3IPA. 

D3c7iY9.jpg

SGB had their 4 year anniversary festival this past weekend and we were able to snatch up the Commonwealth stuff. Never had, but I’m a sucker for one time drops. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Market is getting a bit inundated recently. Found myself retreating back to nice, dank IPAs and DIPAs. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

@McLoofus, this might make you frustrated. Nearly every beer has some sort of adjunct, lactose, etc. in it except for the Commonwealth Brewing stuff-IPA/DIPA/3IPA. 

D3c7iY9.jpg

SGB has their 4 year anniversary festival this past weekend and we were able to snatch up the Commonwealth stuff. Never had, but I’m a sucker for one time drops. 

"Assorted Flavors". I'll always award points for self-awareness, haha.

I'm trying to reign in my GOMLness, at least around those of you who've already been subjected to my ranting.

And @AUDub, that's where I've been for a minute now. Give me bitter and dry and stinky. Basically, I want to relate to my IPAs on a personal level. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Tasty treat. Marionberry, raspberry, and blackberry sour brewed with marshmallows. Marshmallows come on strikingly strong. Untitled Art and their collabs never disappoint. 

kXBFA4z.jpg

That’s a beautiful color.

• Like 1

Okay so Ballast Point got bought by Constellation for literally a billion dollars a few years back. BP tanked. And someone out of Illinois, Kings and Convicts Brewing(who?) bought them from Constellation for $100m in December. I completely forgot about this acquisition until I saw some goofy s*** popping up on BP’s IG. So I went to K&C’s IG page, and talk about douche central, holy s*** the cringe. I don’t ever intend on buying anything with a Ballast Point label ever again. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Okay so Ballast Point got bought by Constellation for literally a billion dollars a few years back. BP tanked. And someone out of Illinois, Kings and Convicts Brewing(who?) bought them from Constellation for $100m in December. I completely forgot about this acquisition until I saw some goofy s*** popping up on BP’s IG. So I went to K&C’s IG page, and talk about douche central, holy s*** the cringe. I don’t ever intend on buying anything with a Ballast Point label ever again. 

Effing sucks. I miss Sculpin. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Effing sucks. I miss Sculpin. 

Hzqh2Nc.jpg

Yuck. 

I just sold our last 6pk of Sculpin for about 50% off just to get it out of the store. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Hzqh2Nc.jpg

Yuck. 

Sounds like dudebros with more money than sense trying to be edgier than a razorblade factory. 

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Edgy AF bro. There’s a bunch of that s*** on their IG.

Googled around. Somehow the headlines read more like "craft brewpub buys Ballast Point" instead of "private investment group/hedge fund buys Ballas Point."

Eh, whatever.

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

And nobody with any sense should be fooled. This is astroturfing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Googled around. Somehow the headlines read more like "craft brewpub buys Ballast Point" instead of "private investment group/hedge fund buys Ballas Point."

Eh, whatever.

Just like Oskar Blues/Cigar City. 

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

IIRC, didn't BP brain drain horribly upon selling out? Almost like Constellation bought the name and nothing else. 

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

IIRC, didn't BP brain drain horribly upon selling out? Almost like Constellation bought the name and nothing else. 

Yep. Nearly every lead person from the top left shortly after the Constellation acquisition. BP basically became a shell. 

When I was in Colorado last year, we were at a particularly badass beer bar in Boulder. My dad had commented to me that he hadn’t seen any OB on tap anywhere we went, so he asked the bartender. Apparently they’re pretty anti-OB out there due to the “corporate” nature of the brewery, and supposedly Dale has no real say in the company anymore. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is the CANarchy thing really just some corporate charade?

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Apparently they’re pretty anti-OB out there due to the “corporate” nature of the brewery, and supposedly Dale has no real say in the company anymore. 

Boooo. I really don't want to stop supporting those guys. 

The Kings and Convicts shtick seems like a much worse version of the nonsense that Scofflaw perpetrated early on. Matt seems to have gotten his s*** together since then and I stuck up for him at the time but he definitely came in too hard trying to sell that image. It didn't work very well for him- fortunately they make good beer and have some serious capital and marketing savvy- and I can't imagine it will work well elsewhere. Although if they bought BP for $100 million... just crazy numbers. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 12:29 PM, McLoofus said:

Is the CANarchy thing really just some corporate charade?

Boooo. I really don't want to stop supporting those guys. 

The Kings and Convicts shtick seems like a much worse version of the nonsense that Scofflaw perpetrated early on. Matt seems to have gotten his s*** together since then and I stuck up for him at the time but he definitely came in too hard trying to sell that image. It didn't work very well for him- fortunately they make good beer and have some serious capital and marketing savvy- and I can't imagine it will work well elsewhere. Although if they bought BP for $100 million... just crazy numbers. 

Not so sure if it’s corporate, but just big money investors group backing them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Best sour I’ve had from Bearded Iris. So good. 

TYtKChj.jpg

Good lord. It looks like a beautiful bowling ball.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Good lord. It looks like a beautiful bowling ball.

All the chunkies settled shortly after pouring. I don’t crave many beers, but I had been looking forward to this all day. 

• Like 1