Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Thanks man! I actually ran the half, not the full. Still a days work for a middle aged dude like me. Bout to hit up Beale St.

Woot! I ran a half once. It was the most significant athletic achievement of my life and I humble brag about it all the time. Doing it *now*? I literally wouldn't talk about anything else. 

Beale Street!!

On 12/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Post marathon beers...DEFREAKINGLICIOUS 

9BC75E76-34E2-4C88-A11F-2874DA1A4AAA.jpeg

If I had know you were running the St. Jude again I would’ve dropped the beers off in person. Did you go anywhere new in Memphis? 

56 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If I had know you were running the St. Jude again I would’ve dropped the beers off in person. Did you go anywhere new in Memphis? 

Man, no worries at all. One of these days.....

We went to a pretty cool little joint downtown called The Brass Door. Great shepherds pie. 

That's about it. Did go to Silky's and have a couple of drinks until it got bro heavy. I really liked the old merch store on Beale...Schwabs. Wanted to go to the Flying Saucer...I just didn't have it in me. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 7:13 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Ballast Point is toast. When they launched in Memphis a couple years ago, it was gang busters. Everywhere and selling too. Now we just have Sculpin and I’m about to cut that too. 

Bought for $1b and now valued at $17m. Closed their r&d facility and dumped thousands of barrels, fired everyone. Everyone that came over after getting bought by Constellation is pretty much gone. No senior leadership and brewers. They need a complete re-branding at this point. 

Someone needs to make a documentary of how an indie West Coast staple can completely flounder after getting bought out. 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Awkward lighting aside, this is a badass beer. Smooth af. Tropical-y. Triple IPA from Southern Grist. Great mouthfeel. Hides it’s 10% ABV better than D Copperfield. Another homerun beer by @ShocksMyBrain

1134AD12-1C4A-43E0-A38B-9E1BE6763908.jpeg

I was curious how it was going to turn out after a little shelf time. It was kind of overpowering when I had it fresh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I was curious how it was going to turn out after a little shelf time. It was kind of overpowering when I had it fresh. 

Dude. I honestly had to look twice to see that it was a triple. Most I’ve had are super aggressive in one way or another. Not this one. It was as well balanced as you could ask for.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This beer smelled like straight up candied pineapple. Taste was just as delicious. This was identical to Bloom. 

DF905A41-1D98-4789-A592-03CF60D04C51.jpeg

Foreign Objects is a hard brewery to sell because of the can design and the vague “new American hoppy ale”. Just call it a New England. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 7:55 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Straight up tropical. Nice hop burn in the back end. Hellova good beer. And when in the hell did a 7% become so light and refreshing? Perhaps it’s the two Dragon’s Milk before? I dunno....

E801CB07-0A02-4101-932D-413F7DCB02E5.jpeg

Sick pic

• Thanks 1

Picked up a Prairie 2019 Christmas Imperial. I hate paying that much for a single, but dammit it’s kind of a tradition. Cheers to whatever y’all have on tap the next couple days, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you good folks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Picked up a Prairie 2019 Christmas Imperial. I hate paying that much for a single, but dammit it’s kind of a tradition. Cheers to whatever y’all have on tap the next couple days, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you good folks!

Thanks for reminding me. I need to put some beers in the fridge.

It’s been quite a wild 30 hours at the store. We got robbed while we were at our store Christmas party(off-site) at 1:30am yesterday. So we all pack into cars and race down to the store to clean it up and talk to cops. Keep in mind, we work in a bottle shop, so you can have an idea what sort of shape we were in at 1:30 in the morning. 

Thieves threw a pair of bolt cutters through the door window and went straight to a shelf that had all of our flavored Smirnoff and grabbed that. 10 feet away we had a few leftover allocated bourbons we held back...thousands of dollars worth of brown water. They were in and out in under 2 minutes. We have video, but I’m sure they won’t get caught. It cost more to replace the door than the inventory they stole/broke. 

—————————————

Cut to today, we were slammed. Had a long line all day. Dude fills up a hand basket full of Crown Royal Apple and just walks out with it. Before my coworker and I could process what happened and make it to the door, guy and his driver were already gone. They went up the street and hit another store in the same way, but their worker caught the guy, was able to snatch his phone and shirt(?) before the driver knocked him upside the head. While the cops were in the store reviewing our security footage, he got a call that they had pulled over a suspicious car matching the description. So hopefully that was them and they can spend the next few days in a cell. 

I’m no lawyer or police, but I can’t think that committing a violent crime while stealing liquor would be a good charge. I have to imagine it’s a felony. 

Also, keep in mind, we live and work in a nice suburb. Think Greystone/Inverness, for people familiar with Birmingham suburbs. Trash from North Memphis, Frayser, Orange Mound, etc. come out here to commit crimes. It’s a shame, but whatever. I’m glad no one was hurt at my store. 

Anyway. Merry Christmas. I’m gonna drink. 

Tl;dr: we got robbed twice in two days. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s been quite a wild 30 hours at the store. We got robbed while we were at our store Christmas party(off-site) at 1:30am yesterday. So we all pack into cars and race down to the store to clean it up and talk to cops. Keep in mind, we work in a bottle shop, so you can have an idea what sort of shape we were in at 1:30 in the morning. 

Thieves threw a pair of bolt cutters through the door window and went straight to a shelf that had all of our flavored Smirnoff and grabbed that. 10 feet away we had a few leftover allocated bourbons we held back...thousands of dollars worth of brown water. They were in and out in under 2 minutes. We have video, but I’m sure they won’t get caught. It cost more to replace the door than the inventory they stole/broke. 

—————————————

Cut to today, we were slammed. Had a long line all day. Dude fills up a hand basket full of Crown Royal Apple and just walks out with it. Before my coworker and I could process what happened and make it to the door, guy and his driver were already gone. They went up the street and hit another store in the same way, but their worker caught the guy, was able to snatch his phone and shirt(?) before the driver knocked him upside the head. While the cops were in the store reviewing our security footage, he got a call that they had pulled over a suspicious car matching the description. So hopefully that was them and they can spend the next few days in a cell. 

I’m no lawyer or police, but I can’t think that committing a violent crime while stealing liquor would be a good charge. I have to imagine it’s a felony. 

Also, keep in mind, we live and work in a nice suburb. Think Greystone/Inverness, for people familiar with Birmingham suburbs. Trash from North Memphis, Frayser, Orange Mound, etc. come out here to commit crimes. It’s a shame, but whatever. I’m glad no one was hurt at my store. 

Anyway. Merry Christmas. I’m gonna drink. 

Tl;dr: we got robbed twice in two days. 

I’ll just say...HOLYSH@T! That’s f’in crazy man!  I’m just glad none of y’all were hurt in any of that mess.

• Love 1

Jesus, @ShocksMyBrain. Glad they didn't get the good bourbon! 

Didn't drink much beer this week. More wine, bourbon and a lot of Slane, because M-I-L likes Irish coffee. (I do too, when made properly, which of course we did.)

Epic epic Cousin Eddie glass.

Felonies aside, I hope everyone was able to enjoy their day yesterday! Merry Hangover Boxing Day

• Love 2