Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

These were roasted in the stone oven. Slight char and placed on a bit of melted mozzarella. 

You're killin' me, Shocks.

You Play Ball Like a Girl - The Sandlot

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

*googles shishito peppers. Pre-lunch hungry stomach engaged.

You would definitely enjoy them. The first time I ever had them was at Churchkey in DC. Just a big ass bowl of blistered chiles with a really light soy or sesame glaze or something. Just snacked on them like they were french fries. They'd be good with just about any dipping sauce I think. And beer. They're really, really good with beer. 

• Love 1

On 7/27/2020 at 4:14 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’ve also decided I’m a dirty martini guy

"Filthy" is my preference, ice cold with like a film of ice on top. My problem: I always forget and order that second one. Too lightweight for that anymore😔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

"Filthy" is my preference, ice cold with like a film of ice on top. My problem: I always forget and order that second one. Too lightweight for that anymore😔

Filthy will be my next order to see how I like it compared to dirty. I’m a big fan of olive juice, so I presume it’ll be superior. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, fredst said:

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Filthy will be my next order to see how I like it compared to dirty. I’m a big fan of olive juice, so I presume it’ll be superior. 

Gin? Vodka?

I'm a Beefeater guy for martinis. And I like mine on the dry side. I used to ask for them just a little bit dirty and they always came out filthy. Probably says something about the bars I was frequenting. 

At home lately we've been doing dry- coat the glass and toss the extra vermouth- garnished with an olive and a lemon twist. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

*thirsting intensifies 

ETA- I dropped a like on ya @McLoofus to get you to the 23 grando mark. Teamwork.

1BCAB36E-A934-4AF2-B121-E081016EB711.gif

And with that, I retire, for my goal this entire time has been to go out on Ronnie LeBrown James thousand likes. Couldn't have done it without you guys. It's truly been my pleasure working with you. Good luck in your future endeavors. Stay safe. And please don't like this post. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gin? Vodka?

I'm a Beefeater guy for martinis. And I like mine on the dry side. I used to ask for them just a little bit dirty and they always came out filthy. Probably says something about the bars I was frequenting. 

At home lately we've been doing dry- coat the glass and toss the extra vermouth- garnished with an olive and a lemon twist. 

Gin and for simple martini I lean to Bombay Sapphire- light, a little floral, easy to find, and a very cool bottle. For something with a little more intense flavor profile I like The Botanist.

Side note: go to Scotland and they are making gin like crazy over there. The variety of gins available that are distilled there seems almost as much as the whisky.

And, with all this talk, I’ll need a dirty martini to help toast my new 16 year old driver tonight.

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Gin and for simple martini I lean to Bombay Sapphire- light, a little floral, easy to find, and a very cool bottle. For something with a little more intense flavor profile I like The Botanist.

Side note: go to Scotland and they are making gin like crazy over there. The variety of gins available that are distilled there seems almost as much as the whisky.

And, with all this talk, I’ll need a dirty martini to help toast my new 16 year old driver tonight.

Very interesting about Scotland. I guess gin was born in England? Is that right?

For the really botanical gins, I like to sip them on the rocks. There's one I like quite a bit distilled in Charleston called Bullrush. I keep meaning, though, to branch out. Another friend told me about Botanist, too.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Gin? Vodka?

Vodka. I was doing Ketel at the restaurant because it was a decent mid-shelf that wasn’t Tito’s(I can’t stand Tito’s despite all the “hype” it gets). If I ever do them at home I‘m using Purity 34x or 51x distilled. Refreshing gin cocktails are my other go to, however, I’ve developed a distaste for tonic, so club soda is preferred. I was also alternating Pisco Sours. I’m a sucker for anything with Mezcal too. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Vodka. I was doing Ketel at the restaurant because it was a decent mid-shelf that wasn’t Tito’s(I can’t stand Tito’s despite all the “hype” it gets). If I ever do them at home I‘m using Purity 34x or 51x distilled. Refreshing gin cocktails are my other go to, however, I’ve developed a distaste for tonic, so club soda is preferred. I was also alternating Pisco Sours. I’m a sucker for anything with Mezcal too. 

We're a soda house, too. And those fruit essenced sparkling waters make great mixers. 

I've mentioned it before, but my go-to summer cocktail is a shot of tequila, a splash of mezcal (or more if it is not heavy on the smoke), a shot of citrus sparkling water, fill to the rim with good grapefruit juice, and toss in a wedge of lime or lemon. On the rocks.

Tito's strikes me as a marketing thing like PBR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I've mentioned it before, but my go-to summer cocktail is a shot of tequila, a splash of mezcal (or more if it is not heavy on the smoke), a shot of citrus sparkling water, fill to the rim with good grapefruit juice, and toss in a wedge of lime or lemon. On the rocks.

Dude, we have got to be related or something. Everything that you are posting recently is totally my jam. I feel like I’m embarrassing myself being in such agreement with you. Like, a stalker of some weird kind....

• Love 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We're a soda house, too. And those fruit essenced sparkling waters make great mixers. 

Tito's strikes me as a marketing thing like PBR. 

To me, based on the people that buy it, Tito’s is equivalent to Starbucks. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Dude, we have got to be related or something. Everything that you are posting recently is totally my jam. I feel like I’m embarrassing myself being in such agreement with you. Like, a stalker of some weird kind....

Well, I almost made a joke earlier about saying "another" friend, and oh whoops did I just say the F word, awkward, hey you don't have to say it back it's cool... soooooo...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, I almost made a joke earlier about saying "another" friend, and oh whoops did I just say the F word, awkward, hey you don't have to say it back it's cool... soooooo...

It’s ok. I feel the connection:

2D463633-3F34-4741-8149-0CBD234B4E28.gif

On another note, after the earlier conversation, I couldn’t help myself:

D4FB15DF-D0DF-46C3-AD37-BB96B0185022.jpeg

Edited by fredst
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, fredst said:

It’s ok. I feel the connection:

2D463633-3F34-4741-8149-0CBD234B4E28.gif

On another note, after the earlier conversation, I couldn’t help myself:

D4FB15DF-D0DF-46C3-AD37-BB96B0185022.jpeg

Evidently everyone thinks I'm really bad at high fives and well it's just really rewarding that I've expressed myself openly and honestly on this website dot com omg my wife and her parents are like 17 bottles of wine deep and talking politics and I'm hiding in the bedroom now please sleep take me soon

• Haha 1

ETA- Pretty good. Want to try again. Not a straight up NEIPA, not West Coast, either.

The Nappy Roots peach IPA was surprisingly bitter and I didn't get a ton of peach but you can scan the can and hear a song so that's cool.

The Three Harvest actually uses hydroponic hops from Auburn. Unusual profile. Definitely going to try that one again.

Cardigans was good but unremarkable. 

Don't Call It Hotlanta was the best of the bunch. Quadruple dry hopped and just really delicious. 8.5% but I would have guessed higher? Whatever. Seriously though. Don't call it Hotlanta.

IMG_20200731_181441.jpg

IMG_20200731_183215.jpg

IMG_20200731_183337.jpg

IMG_20200731_204558.jpg

IMG_20200731_221226.jpg

IMG_20200801_163528.jpg

• Like 2

Let’s see if I can do this right to keep up with all you beer pros on here (although these may very likely have already been “talked” about on here):

7433DD93-A586-4A41-8ED1-CB1FBD801297.jpeg
Nice. A little tart with some fruit though I was expecting more. Very refreshing on a hot day, even at 7.5%.

BC2F7644-F8D7-4766-96CA-E069693B43A8.jpeg
Alright, I like this one a lot. Nice fruitiness like a good dry-hopped IPA should be with a little haze. Much better than the Hazy/Juicy/Hoppy/Fresh from HiWire (IMO) and I would have a tough time choosing between this and my Ghost in the Machine. 

Whew 😥, the pressure to try to keep up with you guys (which, of course, I can’t do, lol). Give me some feedback if you’ve had either of these

3F39BE50-A4BA-4708-98DC-90A2B091668F.jpeg
Forgot this one: Meh

Edited by fredst
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dammit, these guys keep getting better and better. This is their best batch yet.

5053453C-2408-4C62-9BBB-1A2DB3A9A84B.jpeg

I love when you post about these guys because I remember when you gave us a heads up about them opening, and also I got to try one of their beers (milk stout?) bc I know this bad ass mofo who lives in the area. 

Also, peep that backsplash...

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I love when you post about these guys because I remember when you gave us a heads up about them opening, and also I got to try one of their beers (milk stout?) bc I know this bad ass mofo who lives in the area. 

Also, peep that backsplash...

Dammit, yer gonna make me all misty eyed talkin bout milk stouts. Yeah, I sent their base stout. It’s damn delicious and probably what kept them afloat in the early years.

Dude, they released a Russian imperial stout this year. Mother of all warm cheeks was it good. They cellared a bunch, so I’m anxious.

Thats my first backsplash attempt. Thanks! I’ll do better next time.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 1