Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

On 6/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Pretty solid. Never had anything from Edmund’s Oast before. 

uAn3fIk.jpg

I tried it last week. It had the least bitter/grapefruity finish of any IPA I have ever had. I liked it a lot. I wondered what made it so different.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I tried it last week. It had the least bitter/grapefruity finish of any IPA I have ever had. I liked it a lot. I wondered what made it so different.

I don’t think it’s considered a New England, but it does give the appearance of one. I agree that it had a peculiar flavor that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I enjoyed it. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

The Red Bar on 30A is reopening July 15th. We're heading down on the 26th. Awesome. Missed my blackened grouper and grit cake, accompanied by a cold beer, last year. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 5:14 PM, AUDub said:

The Red Bar on 30A is reopening July 15th. We're heading down on the 26th. Awesome. Missed my blackened grouper and grit cake, accompanied by a cold beer, last year. 

The first time I went there I was REALLY disappointed. I got whatever their special was. The second time I got their old-school dishes like blackened fish and shrimp and grits and it was awesome. I am glad they will be back soon!

Gonna vent about something completely unrelated. 

If I ever meet these a**holes that are snapping up Nintendo Switches to resell at a huge markup, I'ma punch them in the eye. I think I just got lucky and managed to snap one up for my oldest's birthday at a Target 30 miles away, but any stock tends to evaporate with the quickness. Jeez. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Go on...

Ooops! :)

Yeah, so beer brain got me that night. 

This is Parish's take on a berliner weisse. Absolutley delicious. Just the right amount of tartness. Smooth tropical fruit and a coconut(almost buttery cocunut) flavor. Just outstanding. Not too sweet and coming in at just under 6%. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This is Parish's take on a berliner weisse. Absolutley delicious. Just the right amount of tartness. Smooth tropical fruit and a coconut(almost buttery cocunut) flavor. Just outstanding. Not too sweet and coming in at just under 6%. 

Sounds like summer. Ahhhhhhh

Last night Mrs. Loof said "HEY, we haven't had a SINGLE watermelon gose ALL summer. WTF???!!!!" She was right. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sounds like summer. Ahhhhhhh

Last night Mrs. Loof said "HEY, we haven't had a SINGLE watermelon gose ALL summer. WTF???!!!!" She was right. :(

Sounds like a search and rescue mission is in order this week!

Both Parish and Great Raft have really expanded on their summer beers this year. Both have had great offerings that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Mrs Refuge and I ventured out masked-up this weekend and hit Natchez brewing. They had tables spaced out and a mask requirement if you weren’t sitting at your table. It almost felt normal. Pictured are two IIPA offerings. One on the lactose train with coconut, the other with a heavy helpng of Citra. Both delicious.

15C12E72-9406-430E-8113-0368F53F94AF.jpeg

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Sounds like a search and rescue mission is in order this week!

Both Parish and Great Raft have really expanded on their summer beers this year. Both have had great offerings that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Mrs Refuge and I ventured out masked-up this weekend and hit Natchez brewing. They had tables spaced out and a mask requirement if you weren’t sitting at your table. It almost felt normal. Pictured are two IIPA offerings. One on the lactose train with coconut, the other with a heavy helpng of Citra. Both delicious.

15C12E72-9406-430E-8113-0368F53F94AF.jpeg

Sounds like a really nice date!

So many breweries are already well equipped to handle this, really. Most taprooms I go to are already this big, open areas in industrial spaces and most breweries already have an outdoor component. And so many of them, if they even have food, just bring in food trucks... win win win. We've got that trip to NC booked in October that I mentioned and Oskar Blues and a couple other places are nearby. OB has a huge outdoor tap"room" with a nice lawn and views of the surrounding hills, and then this other place is a straight up brewery/farm combo... like, zero hesitation going to places like that. Hooray beer!

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sounds like a really nice date!

So many breweries are already well equipped to handle this, really. Most taprooms I go to are already this big, open areas in industrial spaces and most breweries already have an outdoor component. And so many of them, if they even have food, just bring in food trucks... win win win. We've got that trip to NC booked in October that I mentioned and Oskar Blues and a couple other places are nearby. OB has a huge outdoor tap"room" with a nice lawn and views of the surrounding hills, and then this other place is a straight up brewery/farm combo... like, zero hesitation going to places like that. Hooray beer!

Dude. Fresh beer, wood fired meatballs, and a veggie calzone. 

And you are exactly right. Most breweries are perfectly set up to do this type of social distancing hangout. It felt really good to just be out with folks who appeared to be like minded. Crazy that this experience was in MS where the governor is issuing a county specific mask mandate and these businesses took it seriously. But back home here in LA, folks are proudly not wearing masks under a statewide mandate. Businesses are posting on social media that they aren’t enforcing the requirement. This whole damn thing is mind boggling. Just f’in mind boggling. 

• Love 1

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude. Fresh beer, wood fired meatballs, and a veggie calzone. 

It felt really good to just be out with folks who appeared to be like minded. 

I think you know I agree with you and am seeing a lot of the same on the rest of your post, so I'll just isolate this happy thought fuel right here. Heaven. Absolute heaven. 

We had a nice date last Friday night. Patio, on the creek, distanced tables, masked up servers, kids were with the grands... no beer but I did have a bangin' Boulevardier. (Negroni with bourbon/rye instead of gin.)

• Love 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think you know I agree with you and am seeing a lot of the same on the rest of your post, so I'll just isolate this happy thought fuel right here. Heaven. Absolute heaven. 

We had a nice date last Friday night. Patio, on the creek, distanced tables, masked up servers, kids were with the grands... no beer but I did have a bangin' Boulevardier. (Negroni with bourbon/rye instead of gin.)

My best friend’s bday was on Saturday so we went out with him and his lady to a nice restaurant and spent way too much money. I really didn’t want to go, but he’s awfully charismatic and one of those people who just won’t take “no” for an answer(think Ferris Bueller/Cameron dynamic). 

Anyway. We had our temp taken, name and numbers written down, wore masks to the table, server was masked and gloved up. I didn’t feel uncomfortable or get neurotic like I thought I might(as stated in a thread on the main board). Had a great evening. Drank a couple 100 point wines, a Brunello and a Malbec that buddy supplied. I wasn’t about to spend $200 on two bottles of wine. And in true fashion whenever we go out with him, we got loaded and shut the restaurant down. 

Pictured below is a red velvet cake ice cream sandwich 🤤. I’ve also decided I’m a dirty martini guy. They had cheap 2oz pours of Weller 107 at $15, which is a steal. 

tQsFoKO.jpg

G2rD7ES.jpg

https://thegraycanary.com

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My best friend’s bday was on Saturday so we went out with him and his lady to a nice restaurant and spent way too much money. I really didn’t want to go, but he’s awfully charismatic and one of those people who just won’t take “no” for an answer(think Ferris Bueller/Cameron dynamic). 

Anyway. We had our temp taken, name and numbers written down, wore masks to the table, server was masked and gloved up. I didn’t feel uncomfortable or get neurotic like I thought I might(as stated in a thread on the main board). Had a great evening. Drank a couple 100 point wines, a Brunello and a Malbec that buddy supplied. I wasn’t about to spend $200 on two bottles of wine. And in true fashion whenever we go out with him, we got loaded and shut the restaurant down. 

Pictured below is a red velvet cake ice cream sandwich 🤤. I’ve also decided I’m a dirty martini guy. They had cheap 2oz pours of Weller 107 at $15, which is a steal. 

tQsFoKO.jpg

G2rD7ES.jpg

https://thegraycanary.com

Please tell me somebody got the cobia collars??

What a night. And what a great setup by the restaurant. Love the temp checks, that's a great touch. 

I've had those friends. I love those friends. But maybe, like, once a quarter. Any more than that and the lines of reality get blurred. Much like my vision.

Man. Love the Weller menu!

I've found Brunellos to be high risk high reward. I've had some that were as good as they're supposed to be. And I've had a couple turds. And I can't stomach paying $100 for a turd. 

• Like 1

Please tell me somebody got the cobia collars??

What a night. And what a great setup by the restaurant. Love the temp checks, that's a great touch. 

I've had those friends. I love those friends. But maybe, like, once a quarter. Any more than that and the lines of reality get blurred. Much like my vision.

Man. Love the Weller menu!

I've found Brunellos to be high risk high reward. I've had some that were as good as they're supposed to be. And I've had a couple turds. And I can't stomach paying $100 for a turd. 

We pretty much ordered the exact same thing as them. Small plates: shushito peppers, hush puppies, tuna with avocado, rolls and the ribeye. We go out like this maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I don’t get how some people can do it on a regular basis. 

The Brunello was $80 and the Malbec was $150. Like I said, very unlikely for me to go over $50 for a bottle of wine unless it’s Thanksgiving or Christmas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We pretty much ordered the exact same thing as them. Small plates: shushito peppers, hush puppies, tuna with avocado, rolls and the ribeye. We go out like this maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I don’t get how some people can do it on a regular basis. 

The Brunello was $80 and the Malbec was $150. Like I said, very unlikely for me to go over $50 for a bottle of wine unless it’s Thanksgiving or Christmas. 

Shishito peppers are my favorite food fad ever. I hope they become as ubiquitous as wings and hummus. I can sit there and munch on those damned things for days. Enough heat to keep your mouth awake but not so much that you're sweating. Freaking love them. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Shishito peppers are my favorite food fad ever. I hope they become as ubiquitous as wings and hummus. I can sit there and munch on those damned things for days. Enough heat to keep your mouth awake but not so much that you're sweating. Freaking love them. 

These were larger than peppers I’ve had before. They were about the size of an okra. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

These were larger than peppers I’ve had before. They were about the size of an okra. 

That's about what I'm used to. Love that texture, too. Man, I'm craving them big time now. 

That's about what I'm used to. Love that texture, too. Man, I'm craving them big time now. 

These were roasted in the stone oven. Slight char and placed on a bit of melted mozzarella.