Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

Bro-in-law and I have pounded a few beers the last couple nights. Mostly IPAs that are good but, to my palate, unremarkable. Just haze, hops and sugar. But we did have an outSTANDING sour from Une Annee. Blueberry and passionfruit, maybe? Sorry, I always forget to take pics. It was an enamel peeler but the fresh fruit character was off the charts. Almost like if New Glarus and Cantillon did a collab. I never realized the brand structure of Une Annee + Hubbard's Cave. Old Nation's M-43 Tart Strawberry is good, too. The IPAs we had from Ology and J. Wakefield were fine. 

Will try to take some pictures tonight. We've still got a hell of a lot of beer to drink. 

We also got into some bourbon. That OF 1920 still kicks ass. Also picked up a bottle of the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel. 58.8%. Looking forward to trying it. I finally had the breakthrough with my guy where he saw me come in and we exchanged hellos and he said, "Hey, I've got a few special bottles in the back if you're interested". I got one of 2. He also had 1 bottle of the IW Harper 15.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bro-in-law and I have pounded a few beers the last couple nights. Mostly IPAs that are good but, to my palate, unremarkable. Just haze, hops and sugar. But we did have an outSTANDING sour from Une Annee. Blueberry and passionfruit, maybe? Sorry, I always forget to take pics. It was an enamel peeler but the fresh fruit character was off the charts. Almost like if New Glarus and Cantillon did a collab. I never realized the brand structure of Une Annee + Hubbard's Cave. Old Nation's M-43 Tart Strawberry is good, too. The IPAs we had from Ology and J. Wakefield were fine. 

Will try to take some pictures tonight. We've still got a hell of a lot of beer to drink. 

We also got into some bourbon. That OF 1920 still kicks ass. Also picked up a bottle of the Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel. 58.8%. Looking forward to trying it. I finally had the breakthrough with my guy where he saw me come in and we exchanged hellos and he said, "Hey, I've got a few special bottles in the back if you're interested". I got one of 2. He also had 1 bottle of the IW Harper 15.

PIIICCCCSSSSS. Sounds like some bomb beverages. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't like the move over the past few years to the juicy, dank or hazy IPA's.  Just doesn't do it for me.  In fact it is driving me back towards the more malty American or Imperial IPA's and even porters.

Here is a decent Imperial I tried this weekend. Not too bad, and 11.5%. 

From the title, I think maybe Greene needs to throw back a few. 

images.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

I just don't like the move over the past few years to the juicy, dank or hazy IPA's.  Just doesn't do it for me.  In fact it is driving me back towards the more malty American or Imperial IPA's and even porters.

images.jpg

Love that color. I can agree with your sentiment about hazy IPAs. I go back and forth in a love/meh relationship with them. 

Had a really nice imperial IPA last night. Clocks in at 18%, so it’s a numbing one to say the least. Terrible picture quality...we have no power from the hurricane. Or it could be that I was a few beers in. Anywho, it really almost comes off as a barleywine. Speaking of, I can’t wait for Bigfoot this year.

8E18F2DE-6339-4D76-A595-95E110629F22.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 10:38 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Still just an amazing ass beer. Crazy that it’s become a year round offering, but is still a “knock your socks off” offering.

5F258831-CC2D-4FDD-94BB-6FE707423B6A.jpeg

Just dropped here recently. I said "hell yeah" out loud in the store. To nobody.

• Love 1

On 10/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, johnnyAU said:

images.jpg

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Fortunately so is my spot's version of Shocks. He helps find stuff.

Speaking of, lunching at a new local brewery. Great food, great patio, walk up window for ordering, 5 minutes from my office. Probably 6 hazy IPAs on the menu, lol. One west coast IPA. This is it. 

PXL_20201030_180843937.jpg

On 10/11/2020 at 3:00 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Love that color. I can agree with your sentiment about hazy IPAs. I go back and forth in a love/meh relationship with them. 

Had a really nice imperial IPA last night. Clocks in at 18%, so it’s a numbing one to say the least. Terrible picture quality...we have no power from the hurricane. Or it could be that I was a few beers in. Anywho, it really almost comes off as a barleywine. Speaking of, I can’t wait for Bigfoot this year.

8E18F2DE-6339-4D76-A595-95E110629F22.jpeg

Eight

Teen

Percent

Yaaaassssss

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2020 at 6:58 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Been budgeting for our first house purchase, so I have drastically dropped my beer purchasing. Never had an SGB Triple IPA that didn’t hit. 

c4U7rAs.jpg

Let me help you out with the down payment. Sell me that glass?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just dropped here recently. I said "hell yeah" out loud in the store. To nobody.

Not gonna lie. I have audibly gasped in a beer store before.

And probably this once or twice...

797D93E6-FD96-4887-8B90-F662B3CE8413.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Fortunately so is my spot's version of Shocks. He helps find stuff.

Speaking of, lunching at a new local brewery. Great food, great patio, walk up window for ordering, 5 minutes from my office. Probably 6 hazy IPAs on the menu, lol. One west coast IPA. This is it. 

PXL_20201030_180843937.jpg

God that looks good.

The weather here is phenomenal. High of 60. Low humidity. Stout weather.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

God that looks good.

The weather here is phenomenal. High of 60. Low humidity. Stout weather.

About 10 degrees warmer here but I am very happy with it. No humidity, either.

Hey, how are you guys? Power back?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

About 10 degrees warmer here but I am very happy with it. No humidity, either.

Hey, how are you guys? Power back?

All good here bud! We were without power for 5 days last time(Delta). I’ve never watched an outage map as much as I have this summer....

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Turrible spells
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

All good here bud! We were without power for 5 days lady time(Delta). I’ve never watched an outage map as much as I have this summer....

Let's hope it stays that way for a minute. Tis the season to get too fat and drunk to blow away.

• Love 1

I was also in Southaven, Mississippi yesterday to go to a gun show...which was a whole thing of people watching and eavesdropping(I didn’t need anything, but my dad was after some optics for his .45–which they didn’t really have much for him either). At least masks were enforced, and I’ll leave it at that. Made sure to swing by a couple spots for the good s*** afterwards. 

Bottled 9/2/2020. Still tastes fantastic. 

k9QJVuS.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

@Tiger Refuge They also had a couple different Parish Sips Berliners which I passed on. Sounds too weird, even for me, to use wine grapes in a Berliner. Have you tried any from that line?

I haven’t had any of the SIPS yet. I’m in the same boat as you. However, their Greeting from Grand Isle and Greetings from Holly Beach are both absolutely delicious. They are in that Berliner style, but not as sour. Especially the Holly Beach.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2

Went ahead and blew my beer budget for the week. Couldn’t pass up either. Imperial Rings and Fins is made with blue raspberry gummy rings and gummy sharks. A little thin, but good flavor. The BIBCO/Other Half collab is so solid. 

UX5gEwZ.jpg

MobwrJR.jpg

• Love 1