Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

Dale/Oskar Blues giving back to AU, posted on their FB:

Since our beginning as a brewpub in Lyons, Colorado, Oskar Blues as a ‘place’ meant so much more than good grub, beer, and music. It has always been about our communities. We are proud that our taprooms and breweries are considered centers of community, not just places to grab a beer. 

Black communities in the United States have been subjected to racism for far too long. Black voices have been asking for justice, equality, and peace for 400 years - qualities all Americans should expect, but only some are granted.  Black Lives Matter. Black Communities Matter.

There is so much work to do. The problem is big and overwhelming but no one should be intimidated into silence and inaction. The craft beer industry is behind and way too quiet. Silence is unacceptable.

As a small step forward, Oskar Blues Brewery is establishing a scholarship at Auburn University, the alma mater of our soul founder, Dale Katechis, for black students working on the Graduate Certificate of Brewing Science and Operations. This is a first step.

• Like 1

Hoooo boy does this man speak to my heart. #NIMBY #GOML

What can we do about it? Well, as I wrote last year, a renewed appreciation for subtlety is perhaps the only thing a consumer can do at this point. We need to restart from the ground up, experiencing beers with descriptions that aren’t littered with bombastic adjectives and exclamation points. We need to proclaim an appreciation for those more humble, more balanced styles. Perhaps then, breweries will begin to acknowledge that not every hazy IPA needs to be made with the intention of being the be-all, end-all of the concept of “juiciness.” Perhaps then we’ll be able to admit that toning down the hop presence of some of these beers might actually help the “juice” come through more cleanly.

It’s a fantasy, I’m sure. But one day, I’d really like to count hazy IPA among my favorite beer styles once again.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/craft-beer/hazy-juicy-ipa-problems-sweet-hop-burn/#1-the-saturation-of-same-y-limited-releases-

• Like 1

Hitting the pool alot lately and that calls for beer!!! 

Here are a few from past weekend: 

SweetWater Trainwreck - skunky and dank 

Elysian Contact Haze- meh

Trim Tab Mosaic Singularity - fruity and pool worthy

IMG_0080.jpg?folder=SU5CT1g%253D

ipJN7ar.jpg

Father's Day haul. I'm going to sit on that Moody Tongue 12 layer for a while, but I am super stoked about it. Didn't know hi-wire had floated down here yet either. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

We're getting Pipeworks, Toppling Goliath and 18th Street in GA now. Pseudo Sue is still one of the best beers being made IMO. Right there with GITM as being right on the cusp of what NE IPA/PA should be as opposed to the sugar bombs dominating the market. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We're getting Pipeworks, Toppling Goliath and 18th Street in GA now. Pseudo Sue is still one of the best beers being made IMO. Right there with GITM as being right on the cusp of what NE IPA/PA should be as opposed to the sugar bombs dominating the market. 

Toppling Goliath is here in Bama too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:56 AM, AUDub said:

ipJN7ar.jpg

Father's Day haul. I'm going to sit on that Moody Tongue 12 layer for a while, but I am super stoked about it. Didn't know hi-wire had floated down here yet either. 

That smoothie from Hi Wire is very pineapple-y btw. I both love and hate how Mexican Cake is a shelf turd around here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I both love and hate how Mexican Cake is a shelf turd around here. 

Strangely enough, it is here as well. Oh well, more for me. Dad and I split it last night. 

52 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Strangely enough, it is here as well. Oh well, more for me. Dad and I split it last night. 

It used to be a hot trade commodity. Limited and such. But I guess Westbrook just isn’t hype enough anymore. Still love their Gose though. 

Due to a clerical error I may have backed my way into 9 free bombers of BA Untitled Art/Angry Chair chocolate vanilla stout. If I’m able to acquire all 9 bottles for free, I’ll ship them out to some homies here for no trade in return. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It used to be a hot trade commodity. Limited and such. But I guess Westbrook just isn’t hype enough anymore. Still love their Gose though. 

Due to a clerical error I may have backed my way into 9 free bombers of BA Untitled Art/Angry Chair chocolate vanilla stout. If I’m able to acquire all 9 bottles for free, I’ll ship them out to some homies here for no trade in return. Fingers crossed.

Dude you know I'm going to pay that s*** back in kind. We got a local brewery here in town that I've fallen in love with and some crowlers for my boys are in order. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is the third All Together I’ve had. They all seem to have followed the same recipe provided by Other Half. 

BIUjOK4.jpg
EjuqTQf.jpg

How is that beer? I'm honestly not sure if anyone around here has it. I just keep blanking on looking for it.

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How is that beer? I'm honestly not sure if anyone around here has it. I just keep blanking on looking for it.

It’s pretty good. Not gonna backflip over it. Pretty light and refreshing. 

• Like 1