Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

27 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

9.6% this year. Will be fine on the shelves while it makes the rounds. It’s a triple IPA*, it’s not gonna be that much different from bottled date to ~3months. 

*I hate the term “triple ipa”. Double IPA makes sense...Imperial IPA—IIPA. “Imperial” intended on the play of “(Russian)imperial stout”—a stout brewed with high alcohol intended for Russian dignitaries. 

Where does the extra “I” come from? Marketing. Just call it a DIPA and leave it. Or jack up the ABV a couple notches and call it an “American Barleywine”...wait...then it becomes Bigfoot. 

DFH 120 is an American Barleywine. They call it a triple IPA(possibly coined the term). But it’s not and will never be a real variation of an IPA. 

I’ve always kinda wondered where that extra I came from. I’ve nevee had a 120, but all the reviews make it sound like a barleywine.

7FFBC684-71FC-4E1A-A9B1-E69F0CAF3D1B.gif

Edited by Tiger Refuge

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’ve always kinda wondered where that extra I came from. I’ve nevee had a 120, but all the reviews make it sound like a barleywine.

7FFBC684-71FC-4E1A-A9B1-E69F0CAF3D1B.gif

I got bottles. Let’s trade. 

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I got bottles. Let’s trade. 

Lemme see what I can conjure up. I’m headed to Oregon on Saturday for two weeks. Perhaps I can stumble on something out there worth trading for? (I kept my eyes open for the Brass Techticles. It never made its way up here.)

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Brand new Woodford product. “Malt whiskey”, so I guess it’s not a bourbon. No information on the bottle about why or how, so I guess I’ll need to research. Line priced with regular Woodford, and I like it better. 

jEAELQ6.jpg

So does it drink like a slightly sweeter scotch? 

I've actually blended cheap islay malt blends with affordable bourbon and had a very pleasant experience. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

So does it drink like a slightly sweeter scotch? 

I've actually blended cheap islay malt blends with affordable bourbon and had a very pleasant experience. 

No, I don’t personally think so. I didn’t get any hints of scotch character. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Brand new Woodford product. “Malt whiskey”, so I guess it’s not a bourbon. No information on the bottle about why or how, so I guess I’ll need to research. Line priced with regular Woodford, and I like it better. 

jEAELQ6.jpg

Most probably not relevant here (I spend a good time out of my depth in this forum).

Mentioned some time ago, mostly because it's the 1st legal Ala. booze I've ever met. Single malt that refuses to announce itself as any known (to me) whiskey variety. Smooth as any blended Canadian or Tennessee "sippin'" I've met, and easy to shoot neat, but way more flavorful.That flavor, though is only subtly smoky and not the least peaty, and doesn't quite fit any expected varietal profile. Since I first met it (at a local restaurant), I've bought a bottle. I really don't drink much whiskey in the summertime, but I've had a few occasions (including as I type) to sip a bit this year.

yDSHTmn.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Most probably not relevant here (I spend a good time out of my depth in this forum).

Mentioned some time ago, mostly because it's the 1st legal Ala. booze I've ever met. Single malt that refuses to announce itself as any known (to me) whiskey variety. Smooth as any blended Canadian or Tennessee "sippin'" I've met, and easy to shoot neat, but way more flavorful.That flavor, though is only subtly smoky and not the least peaty, and doesn't quite fit any expected varietal profile. Since I first met it (at a local restaurant), I've bought a bottle. I really don't drink much whiskey in the summertime, but I've had a few occasions (including as I type) to sip a bit this year.

yDSHTmn.jpg

I am going to buy a bottle of this if I see it. The label grabs me and your review pulls me in. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I am going to buy a bottle of this if I see it. The label grabs me and your review pulls me in. 

No earthly idea as to distribution, except that I found it at the green-front.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Me too. I’ll be down that way in October. Gives me something to search for...

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

43 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Me too. I’ll be down that way in October. Gives me something to search for...

Oh me, oh my

"down that way" meaning Opelika area? (best I can tell, site of still and bottling)

"down that way" meaning the state? (where ABC green-fronts are)

"down that way" meaning my way? 

Y'all come any way but, if the last, please warn me so I can bake a cake*.

*As I've said somewhere, my baking is the pits, but, with advance notice, I can do something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Oh me, oh my

"down that way" meaning Opelika area? (best I can tell, site of still and bottling)

"down that way" meaning the state? (where ABC green-fronts are)

"down that way" meaning my way? 

Y'all come any way but, if the last, please warn me so I can bake a cake*.

*As I've said somewhere, my baking is the pits, but, with advance notice, I can do something.

Down that way...meaning LA. I need to make a run to your neck of the woods and visit a particular brewery.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Down that way...meaning LA. I need to make a run to your neck of the woods and visit a particular brewery.

LA = Louisiana? or LA = Lower Ala?

either way, forgot to say (in my previous) "Howd'ja do, howd'ja do, howd'ja do?"

Lower Alabama. We make an annual trip to the beach in the fall. My favorite time down there!

I stopped by my local bottle shop and noticed a bottle of “Alabama Style” whiskey. I need to go back and do some research

• Like 1

Co-owner of Crosstown Brewing(Memphis) dropped into the store on Wednesday, told him I’d be by today. They’ve been open 6 months and have been killing it. I love their IPA. 

Anyway, we showed up and he sat down, drank a beer and shot the s*** with my wife and me for an hour. Then we got a tour. 

I wish I could describe the area they’re in, but I’ve had a couple and my words won’t articulate it well enough. 

https://crosstownbeer.com/

Furthermore Stone Wootstout, drink it at or near room temp. 

yomHDdP.jpg

And Crosstown’s one off BBA bottling of their RIS. It’s fantastic and the label is probably one of my favorites of all time...and that’s not because it’s of a tiger or local or anything like that...

8Zadekc.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Co-owner of Crosstown Brewing(Memphis) dropped into the store on Wednesday, told him I’d be by today. They’ve been open 6 months and have been killing it. I love their IPA. 

Anyway, we showed up and he sat down, drank a beer and shot the s*** with my wife and me for an hour. Then we got a tour. 

I wish I could describe the area they’re in, but I’ve had a couple and my words won’t articulate it well enough. 

https://crosstownbeer.com/

Furthermore Stone Wootstout, drink it at or near room temp. 

yomHDdP.jpg

And Crosstown’s one off BBA bottling of their RIS. It’s fantastic and the label is probably one of my favorites of all time...and that’s not because it’s of a tiger or local or anything like that...

8Zadekc.jpg

Sounds like a great brewery. They definitely have some good looking beers. I really like that they have that neighborhood pride. That’s good stuff man.

Currently sipping on a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA. It’s a definite departure from the haze craze. It’s really good.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bomb. Better than I remember from recent history. I prefer it to Hopslam.

09cNKZ1.jpg

s***. Now I have to track it down.

Burial Hawkbill is better than Surfwax IMO. Bonedragger was also a good hot weather crusher of an APA. Insane nose but I think I got it very fresh so who knows how it holds up.

Lagunitas Maximus- very malty which I don't normally enjoy but I found it remarkably drinkable this past weekend. It was an occasional fridge beer of mine years ago but I haven't tried it in forever. I might put it back on the fridge beer list. At 8.2, it's a good one if you're just looking for one of something to sip while you watch Netflix before bed and don't feel like pouring a hammer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Noice!

Currently in the midst of what I consider my beer dead season. Come on, football season. 

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Also hit Terrapin. Meh. 

That doesn’t shock me at all. 

39 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That doesn’t shock me at all. 

Don’t get me wrong, I do like their beer. But the taproom itself didn’t “wow” me. Served me my beer in a plastic cup? Wtf. I did pick up a rum barrel aged milk stout for 12.99 though. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

• Members Online