Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

6 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

La Fin Du Monde. Hard to find, but it exists. It's not hoppy, but wheaty, and HEAVEY. You can almost stand a popsicle stick in it. It would be foolish to pass it up if you spot it in a specialty place. 9% abv, lol. 

La_Fin_Du_Monde_Unibroue.jpg

Love this beer!

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

La Fin Du Monde. Hard to find, but it exists. It's not hoppy, but wheaty, and HEAVEY. You can almost stand a popsicle stick in it. It would be foolish to pass it up if you spot it in a specialty place. 9% abv, lol. 

Welcome aboard! 

La Fin du Monde is an excellent beer. Never gets old. One of my earlier introductions to craft and I still find myself purchasing a bomber from time to time. I’m quite lucky to actually be able to find it on the reg. As you said, heavy, like a lot of tripels, and deceptively so. Easy to drink too quickly if you’re not careful. 

Others in the style I’d recommend should you happen across them.

Chimay Cinq Cents

Westmalle 

St. Bernardus Tripel

All also very good, but I’m not going to lie, Unibroue’s offering is what I consider the class of the style among those I’ve tried. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Saw SA Octoberfest in the store this evening. Almost picked it up for nostalgia sake.

SN’s is the one I always crush this time of year. 

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Marzens....I freaking love them. We just got SN’s on the reg last year. I’m pretty sure I took a bath in it.

Wish they would collaborate with Mahrs Brau again. The 2016 edition bordered on world class to me. 

• Like 1

And the worst I ever had. (Probably 1998) I had a Sam Adams Triple Bock. A beer snob's beer. And let me tell you- it tasted like eating chalk while biting a live 120v power chord. I worked at this stupid place in the 90's. http://www.newyorkbeverage.com

There were less micro's back then, but we drank everything available at the time.

I don't think they make the Sam Adam's triple bock anymore.

Samuel-Adams-Triple-Bock-Bottle.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Tell me about it.

Still out :(

9 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Welcome! Post often. 

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

SN’s is the one I always crush this time of year. 

I love that they do something different every year. And it's always fantastic. Actually one of the best indicators of just how good of a brewery they really are IMO. 

8 hours ago, jAUSon said:

And the worst I ever had. (Probably 1998) I had a Sam Adams Triple Bock. A beer snob's beer. And let me tell you- it tasted like eating chalk while biting a live 120v power chord. I worked at this stupid place in the 90's. http://www.newyorkbeverage.com

There were less micro's back then, but we drank everything available at the time.

I don't think they make the Sam Adam's triple bock anymore.

Samuel-Adams-Triple-Bock-Bottle.jpg

Interesting! Never had it. Looks like they only made three batches. 94, 95 and 97.

Looking at BA, the reviews seem to be heavily vintage dependent. 94 and 95 look serviceable, while all of the reviews of the 97 vintage seem to be horror stories.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

Welcome aboard! 

La Fin du Monde is an excellent beer. Never gets old. One of my earlier introductions to craft and I still find myself purchasing a bomber from time to time. I’m quite lucky to actually be able to find it on the reg. As you said, heavy, like a lot of tripels, and deceptively so. Easy to drink too quickly if you’re not careful. 

Others in the style I’d recommend should you happen across them.

Chimay Cinq Cents

Westmalle 

St. Bernardus Tripel

All also very good, but I’m not going to lie, Unibroue’s offering is what I consider the class of the style among those I’ve tried. 

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Marzens....I freaking love them. We just got SN’s on the reg last year. I’m pretty sure I took a bath in it.

Please forgive me, but

???

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Please forgive me, but

???

With regularity. Routinely.

• Thanks 2

On 8/14/2018 at 9:54 PM, jAUSon said:

My first craft beer I legally bought a couple days after my 21st in Orlando before the Capital One/Citrus Bowl against Wisconsin in 2006. That’s a tough one to tailgate with. The outcome of the game was hard to stomach too. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My first craft beer I legally bought a couple days after my 21st in Orlando before the Capital One/Citrus Bowl against Wisconsin in 2006. That’s a tough one to tailgate with. The outcome of the game was hard to stomach too. 

'Course before the craft beer explosion but, the day I came of age, I gave the sales clerk hell for not carding me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the interest of keeping you posted:

On 3/26/2018 at 9:48 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Seriously, keep us posted. I used subway tile on my kitchen backsplashes. It wasn’t bad at all. 

Removed a good bit of tile with a wedge, hammer and grout saw. 

DSm8cU0.jpg

Cut out the backer board and drywall with my sawzall. 

pPXEZBX.jpg

Handy dandy pipe cutter.

b3ZUlp8.jpg

Cut cut cut

Cc0PqTJ.jpg

The old fixture.

FPxUzXt.jpg

Close-up of the damage I cause getting the old dome off. Not supposed to be twisted. 

fRn7IrC.jpg

Cut to length.

3wz5Co8.jpg

New mixing valve with some of the pipe sweated into place. 

PSc51Ff.jpg

Necessary tools. 

LJXKMuW.jpg

New valve in place. Bottom spout not sweated in yet. Did most of my sweating before installing. Had to sweat four couplings in the wall. Ended up working out pretty well. Water runs, no leaks. 

yEHx7Is.jpg

Another view. Coming along. 

USWctFa.jpg

Drywall and concrete back board in place. All that remains is to tile. 

lsD7rq3.jpg

• Like 1

@AUDub Great work! One thing I haven’t done much of...plumbing. Love when a home improvement project comes together! I pulled down our old shed in the backyard today. Once I can haul off it’s remains, I’ll start building a new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tiling sucks. That is all. Almost done but it's giving me fits. 

Thank God my wife got a busy pattern that will hide my many errors. Still have to grout. 

1SxRTmj.jpg

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 2

And grout. Now it just has to cure, then I can seal it and we can use the shower again. 

6rpjJcQ.jpg

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

I'm pretty blitzed. Chimay through the game. About to do my Ten Fidy nightcap. 

Ugh. I remember back when my hangovers were over by mid morning. 

• Haha 2