Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is there much farming/cultivation in your area? Seems that's the future. 

Efforts around here (Mobile Bay, MS Sound areas) seem experimental/nascent, and funded by oil-spill money. I've heard of some big, well-established operations over in Cedar-Key area (peninsular FL), that are producing clams as well, but never tasted their wares.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Cans or bottles?

Cans. 

3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Efforts around here (Mobile Bay, MS Sound areas) seem experimental/nascent, and funded by oil-spill money. I've heard of some big, well-established operations over in Cedar-Key area (peninsular FL), that are producing clams as well, but never tasted their wares.

Some of the most coveted oysters around here are farmed. Lady's Island. They're pretty great. 

And, really, "we" just need to be building farms in general, whether we eat the oysters or not. 

https://billionoysterproject.org/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Some of the most coveted oysters around here are farmed. Lady's Island. They're pretty great. 

And, really, "we" just need to be building farms in general, whether we eat the oysters or not. 

https://billionoysterproject.org/

Filter Feeders Matter.

As an aside, 1st mariculture operation I ever saw was (sort'a) in your neighborhood, coastal SC (north of you, I think?) in early '80s. I believe it has since failed (some kind of disease) but they were raising shrimp big enough to cut steaks from, in ponds. One of their trophies was actually over a pound.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I believe it has since failed (some kind of disease) but they were raising shrimp big enough to cut steaks from, in ponds. One of their trophies was actually over a pound.

Probably could've made a fortune just calling them lobsters.

• Like 1

Finally did it. 1000th unique check in I had been holding onto. 

Big notes of chocolate, vanilla, oak, caramel. Hints of coffee, cinnamon, and some rye. Not totally boozy, but it could’ve laid down a little longer. 

Ladies(?) and gentlemen...2015 BCBS Rare. The crown jewel of my cellar. 

TJaqprn.jpg

Now to get on with my untappd backlog. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 6/17/2018 at 4:56 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Late to the fridge inventories, but looks like I'll make it through the weekend with:

- Some PBRs;

- Some (Fairhope) Crowlers of Causeway IPA, (Along Came A) Cider, and Roy Bean Stout;

- A sixer of Jai Alai IPA; and

- Some PBRs.

Causeway and Jai Alai are both excellent beers.  

“Slumming” on a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale right now at a Marriott Courtyard.   

• Like 2

Cocodrie DDH IPA by Bayou Teche Brewing and Jucifer by Gnarly Barley brewing. Both really solid offerings.  The Jucifer is a little softer with better mouthfeel and citrus than the Cocodrie.

049963E0-365F-4968-8A2B-E138308E4549.jpeg

B3E21018-1253-470C-BC98-0E0F6D1CB165.jpeg

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Stone’s take on the NEIPA. It’s good, packed with hops and citrus. But it just doesn’t land on the mouthfeel. It’s soft, but sweet. Would buy again at $13.99 a 16oz 6pk. 

Sold.

I was at the beach all week and tried to find a beer worthy of oresenting to you guys. Here’s the best I could come up with:

5EC29C58-53BE-49BD-B8A6-8D25244851ED.jpeg

• Like 3

Blackberry Farms and Yazoo collaboration Peel Your Face orange IPA. It may be because I dread going back to work tomorrow, but I just don’t like this one at all! Good mouth feel but WAY too tart for me. I’m still waiting for it to open up.

*sigh* 

Beach In 30 days. So ready for a sour on the sea wall at sunset.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2018 at 6:14 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Freshly squeezed GITM...at the source.

1F69C4D9-583D-4836-9BE8-104660AFDCFF.jpeg

Found a 4-pack (bottles) in town over the weekend. Good stuff. Thanks to all leading me there.

Also noticed that the recently introduced Bloom and Envie had apparently disappeared from shelves. Does Parish brew/distribute to a seasonal schedule?

27 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Found a 4-pack (bottles) in town over the weekend. Good stuff. Thanks to all leading me there.

Also noticed that the recently introduced Bloom and Envie had apparently disappeared from shelves. Does Parish brew/distribute to a seasonal schedule?

Envie is year round. However, distribution in AL is relatively new, so supply may be limited? Bloom is a spring seasonal release.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Envie is year round. However, distribution in AL is relatively new, so supply may be limited? Bloom is a spring seasonal release.

I've found both on the latest two trips to the Alabama coast. And I don't know if its just me or what, but both fell short of previous tastings. Thank goodness I found freshly canned Jai Alai that saved both trips. I probably should add that I took a case of Devils Harvest. Never leave home without it. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I've found both on the latest two trips to the Alabama coast. And I don't know if its just me or what, but both fell short of previous tastings. Thank goodness I found freshly canned Jai Alai that saved both trips. I probably should add that I took a case of Devils Harvest. Never leave home without it. ;)

Supposedly, they lasted batch (6/10’ish” batch of Canvie is fanfreakingtastic. 

The Bloom dropped a bit of the pineapple juice hop pretty fast. Like within a week of purchase. It was still really good, but not as good as it was within a month of bottling.

• Like 1

• Members Online