NYAG Files Suit Against the Trump Foundation

AUDub

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Man, you are a trip.

"highlight the prematurity of inferences" ???  :laugh:

What "inferences"?   It's ******* evidence.  

The legal system only cares about admissible evidence, which will be ruled on if the suit proceeds. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

This discussion is not about process - or at least it wasn't until you tried to make it so.  It's about hard facts that have been publicly revealed.

This discussion is about a petition that was filed, and what it contains. It's part of a legal proceeding. You butted into it. It started with me directing a question to someone else. Do not start labeling me or I will cite the rules of the sacred forum :). Keep it civil or do not engage me. 

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If the facts aren't on your side, argue the law.  That's exactly what you are doing.

Wrong. The law sets out the ultimate facts that make a difference in the outcome of the case. The law will come from the judge in most instances. The primary focus of legal proceedings is to determine the facts, all of which we don't have at this moment. The law establishes the rule and the case depends on how the facts relate to the rule. The facts must be in full.

16 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And doing so in context of this forum discussion borders on a weaseling.

Again, if you cannot address me in a civil manner, please refrain from addressing me at all. If you would like to act like a grown-up, then we can proceed. 

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

But you are implying that evidence of wrongdoing is meaningless until it's been admitted in a court of law

In this context, it is meaningless for the prosecuting attorney if it is not admitted.

one can assume that you feel Hillary is absolutely innocent since she was never even indicted

No, they can't because I am not expressing an opinion about anyone. It's the rule of law. One can "assume" that if a claim was filed against Hillary, my position would be the same. Your assumption is much more tenuous. 

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

The legal system only cares about admissible evidence, which will be ruled on if the suit proceeds. 

I understand that.  So what?  

Like I said, no one on here is trying to litigate the trial, well except you.  

In this context, it is meaningless for the prosecuting attorney if it is not admitted.

No, they can't because I am not expressing an opinion about anyone. It's the rule of law. One can "assume" that if a claim was filed against Hillary, my position would be the same. Your assumption is much more tenuous. 

So do you feel Hillary is innocent or not?

Well, since we don't know if it's admissible is it OK for us to speculate on the significance?

I understand that.  So what?  

Like I said, no one on here is trying to litigate the trial, well except you.  

My point is quite clear.

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, since we don't know if it's admissible is it OK for us to speculate on the significance?

Sure. Speculate. But at least be open to the possibility that other happenings can have significant impact. We haven’t heard the others side’s response and really don’t know what the process might surface. 

I should’ve chosen some of my wording more carefully. Maybe no one has made an explicit conclusion.

6 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Sure. Speculate. But at least be open to the possibility that other happenings can have significant impact. We haven’t heard the others side’s response and really don’t know what the process might surface. 

I should’ve chosen some of my wording more carefully. Maybe no one has made an explicit conclusion.

I am always open to the idea that legal guilt depends on the outcome of a trial. 

I remember OJ Simpson's trial (for example).

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am always open to the idea that legal guilt depends on the outcome of a trial. 

I remember OJ Simpson's trial (for example).

But is the logic here “he did it, even if he’s not legally culpable?”

8 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

But is the logic here “he did it, even if he’s not legally culpable?”

That's certainly my thinking.  As I am sure you know, juries can be capricious.

35 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What crime was she formally alleged of? I’m happy to answer your question.

Not as far as I know. 

I am referring to the "speculation" (a huge understatement)  by the 'great unwashed' - not to mention our current president.  Treason is a fairly common one.  Or at least criminal negligence.

"Lock her up, lock her up..."    Remember?

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's certainly my thinking.  As I am sure you know, juries can be capricious.

I think this would be a bench trial though.

But they certainly can. Again, If this goes to trial I highly doubt, based off of what prosecution seeks, it will be in front of a jury.

Not as far as I know. 

I am referring to the "speculation" (a huge understatement)  by the 'great unwashed' - not to mention our current president.  Treason is a fairly common one.  Or at least criminal negligence.

"Lock her up, lock her up..."    Remember?

I’m specifically speaking to formal allegations.

20 hours ago, homersapien said:

More irony. 

We shouldn't even discuss this because it hasn't yet passed an evidentiary ruling in a court of law.   

Yeah right, that's how politics - and political forums - work.  :rolleyes:

Let me summarize.

Republican... "All Democratic politicians are crooks and should be locked up".

Democrat... "All Republican politicians are crooks and should be locked up".

Is that about right? ?

12 hours ago, creed said:

Let me summarize.

Republican... "All Democratic politicians are crooks and should be locked up".

Democrat... "All Republican politicians are crooks and should be locked up".

Is that about right? ?

Yes. Facts be damned. 

Archived