Trump executive bill to end family separation

NolaAuTiger

@NolaAuTiger not to nitpick but can you edit the title of the thread? Today an Executive Order (EO) was signed. Not a bill. A bill can only come from Congress. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

It doesn’t come from trump. That’s why

Update On Immigration And Family Separations

Heard on Morning Edition

We have the latest on the Trump administration's policy of separating families of people who illegally cross the border and Republican discussions of overhauling immigration policy.

4 minutes ago, channonc said:

@NolaAuTiger not to nitpick but can you edit the title of the thread? Today an Executive Order (EO) was signed. Not a bill. A bill can only come from Congress. 

No. “Executive order” and “executive bill” are frequently used interchangeably, maybe not among lobbyists though. 

You should email Bloomberg. They used the terms interchangeably today also. It’s a common occurrence. I appreciate your genuine concern.

11 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

No. “Executive order” and “executive bill” are frequently used interchangeably, maybe not among lobbyists though. 

You should email Bloomberg. They used the terms interchangeably today also. It’s a common occurrence. I appreciate your genuine concern.

End of the day looks like President Trump will work hard to get his inherited illegal immigration mess fixed.

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

End of the day looks like President Trump will work hard to get his inherited immigration mess fixed.

Yes. I sure appreciate it. 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Yes. I sure appreciate it. 

The Dems are never happy no matter what Trump does. why don't they put forth a bill with co-sponsorship from a Republican. Answer........ they don't care about the well being of immigrants. It's just whining politics and votes to them.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

The Dems are never happy no matter what Trump does. why don't they put forth a bill with co-sponsorship from a Republican. Answer........ they don't care about the well being of immigrants. It's just whining politics and votes to them.

I don't give a flying fig what the Dems feel or think about the matter.  That's the awesome thing about not selling one's soul to any political party.  You can support whoever is right on a given issue without worrying whether it makes this or that party happy or makes them think you're "loyal."  And when someone is wrong on an issue, you feel no obligation to pull your punches to be a team player.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't give a flying fig what the Dems feel or think about the matter.  That's the awesome thing about not selling one's soul to any political party.  You can support whoever is right on a given issue without worrying whether it makes this or that party happy or makes them think you're "loyal."  And when someone is wrong on an issue, you feel no obligation to pull your punches to be a team player.

I  agree but how many politicians do you know who feel that way?

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I  agree but how many politicians do you know who feel that way?

Again, really not relevant to me.  The whole friggin' lot of their careers can burn for all I care.  I'll just continue to take each issue on its own and stand up for what's right, just, wise, and prudent.  Whichever party wants to join that side of things has my support on that issue.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Again, really not relevant to me.  The whole friggin' lot of their careers can burn for all I care.  I'll just continue to take each issue on its own and stand up for what's right, just, wise, and prudent.  Whichever party wants to join that side of things has my support on that issue.

I respect that and hope you respect my OPINIONS in return. I have said many times I'm not a party guy. I wish we had a strong Independent Party.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I respect that and hope you respect my OPINIONS in return. I have said many times I'm not a party guy.

But can't you see how when you almost exclusively cite Fox News (or other conservative outlets) and defend/excuse/justify/ignore terrible things Trump or other Republicans say, and rail almost exclusively on Democrats and liberals, that it makes your last sentence seem insincere?  

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But can't you see how when you almost exclusively cite Fox News (or other conservative outlets) and defend/excuse/justify/ignore terrible things Trump or other Republicans say, and rail almost exclusively on Democrats and liberals, that it makes your last sentence seem insincere?  

Probably but I really don't watch that much Fox. I just read headline articles and FOX is the most balanced of all the cable news IMHO. I think that's why they are the #1 cable news. I have friends who are srtong Dems who watch FOX more than I do. And for sure, IMHO, they have the best reporters.

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Once again, we often disagree... but here you are with another legendary remark, "flying fig." How do you come up with this stuff? 

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Once again, we often disagree... but here you are with another legendary remark, "flying fig." How do you come up with this stuff? 

I'm old.

10 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Yes. I recall y’all saying that all he had to do was make one phone call. The law still has to be fixed, thanks to the Ninth Circuit. That’s why the order is only temporary. Ultimately we will have pass legislation. The laws are still in effect.

Does Trump deserve ANY credit today?

Let’s give him a medal and throw him a military parade. ??

3 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Or let’s keep bitching

A more constructive conversation will hopefully ensue here and nationally.  My thoughts tend to the following, but I'm sure I'm missing levels of nuance here:

What are the needs of the US as relates to immigrant population?

What is the most humane way to deal with restricting immigrant populations?

What methods are efficient, economical and effective in meeting limitations?

How does the immigrant population benefit the US, and how does hurt the US?

Is detention a viable way to handle illegal immigrants or are there better ways, for instance ankle monitors?

How much are the detention efforts costing the US?

Who is best suited to answer questions regarding immigration?

... And so on.

8 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Budget and appropriations are used interchangeably too, it doesn’t make it accurate. It’s not a bill it’s an EO. 

I guess I'm the only one here that wishes Trump had stuck to Zero Tolerance. Or maybe I'm the only one willing to admit it. It's my thinking that in a matter of a few days the practice of dragging minors across the border illegally would have dried up. The many Coyotes would be losing their prey and those adults that were family members and actually cared about the kids would turn around and head to a legal port of entry. Maybe, maybe not but I thought it was worth hanging tough with Zero Tolerance for another week or so to see how it was going to shake out.

7 hours ago, HVAU said:

A more constructive conversation will hopefully ensue here and nationally.  My thoughts tend to the following, but I'm sure I'm missing levels of nuance here:

Is detention a viable way to handle illegal immigrants or are there better ways, for instance ankle monitors?

... And so on.

Good questions. There are people that have the information and know the answers to some of those, other answers may not be knowable without a trial and error period or serious research. I do think that the status quo has got to stop.

2 hours ago, channonc said:

Budget and appropriations are used interchangeably too, it doesn’t make it accurate. It’s not a bill it’s an EO. 

I’m very familiar with the legislative process. Probably more so than most. Very familiar with budgets and appropriations also. If you must know, I received an award this year, actually, from the ABA for a paper I wrote concerning the legislative process. Whether I use EO or  Executive Bill in this environment makes no difference. We aren’t on capitol hill, though it’s probably even worse there:) 

Again, thanks for your genuine concern. I know you intend well. 

Be careful who you pull these tactics with in here. I’ve done far less and been attacked for being “pedantic.”

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s one option. Or we can’t quit demanding “credit” and do our damn jobs.

Trump is doing a fine job. Look at the world around you. Jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs. Enjoy life.

8 hours ago, HVAU said:

... And so on.

Per alternatives to detention, we would likely need sweeping legislation outright to do away with detention. However, I don’t think it would work. We don’t even do that to our own people prior to an initial court hearing. Additionally, detention is the only reasonable option for some of those who cross the border, I.e, because of safety reasons (violent offenders) and so forth. Lastly, could we commandeer states to participate in alternatives? Idk. Again, we would need legislation and give much thought. Considerations include the vast number of illegals. I don’t find ankle bracelets being sufficient enough.

Archived