All-Encompassing General Discussion Thread

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Where we are currently living, Memphis suburbs, versus where we’re shopping in Memphis proper is going to be somewhat of a gamble. 

Memphis is being gentrified massively right now. We can find a house for $100k, and the next street over is $250k. There’s money to be made right now in the Memphis market. 

Memphis is in the beginning stages of what Birmingham currently is. 

Memphis is home of Dyer Hamburgers I believe........have you ever tried one........been wanting one since I watched a video on youtue.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Memphis is home of Dyer Hamburgers I believe........have you ever tried one........been wanting one since I watched a video on youtue.

There’s a Dyer’s not 5 minutes from my house in the ‘burbs. Never tried it. I’m all about Sear Shack though. 

And Gus’s Fried Chicken. 

http://www.thesearshack.com/

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

There’s a Dyer’s not 5 minutes from my house. Never tried it. I’m all about Sear Shack though. 

And Gus’s Fried Chicken. 

Sweet........there is something about a deep fried hamburger in 103 year old grease that makes my mouth water......if you ever try one you must tell me all about it please?

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Sweet........there is something about a deep fried hamburger in 103 year old grease that makes my mouth water......if you ever try one you must tell me all about it please?

Gimmick. 

Now dry rub bbq is no joke. I don’t **** with that sweet, wet, sloppy mess. Memphis is bbq king. 

43 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Gimmick. 

Now dry rub bbq is no joke. I don’t **** with that sweet, wet, sloppy mess. Memphis is bbq king. 

I’ll like both, but I could get down with this. Rendezvous is my only point of reference...

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Gimmick. 

Memphis is hands down BBQ King of the southeast but behind Kansas City and Texas in my opinion. But I go absolutely nuts for ribs whenever I'm through there. Obviously I get them dry at Rendezvous. My favorite in Memphis is probably BBQ Shack.

I do love sauce, especially since there are so many regional variations. But no matter where you are, yeah, if it's not good dry then it's not good BBQ. 

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Gimmick. 

Agreed.

However, I always baste the ribs with the sticky stuff after I pull them. Not a bath, just a light coating. Nothing worse than soggy, slippy-sloppy. I'm not a fan of "fall off the bone" either. Meat needs to fall off in my mouth, not on the plate.

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Agreed.

However, I always baste the ribs with the sticky stuff after I pull them. Not a bath, just a light coating. Nothing worse than soggy, slippy-sloppy. I'm not a fan of "fall off the bone" either. Meat needs to fall off in my mouth, not on the plate.

If it's truly "fall off the bone", then somebody cheated. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Memphis is hands down BBQ King of the southeast but behind Kansas City and Texas in my opinion. But I go absolutely nuts for ribs whenever I'm through there. Obviously I get them dry at Rendezvous. My favorite in Memphis is probably BBQ Shack.

I do love sauce, especially since there are so many regional variations. But no matter where you are, yeah, if it's not good dry then it's not good BBQ. 

Can't pin the supply-side analysis down quite so definitively; sort'a like some of the mustard-based treatments I've found in western Carolinas as well.

From a demand-side (a repost?), however:

Mr2c1Hl.jpg

12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Can't pin the supply-side analysis down quite so definitively; sort'a like some of the mustard-based treatments I've found in western Carolinas as well.

From a demand-side (a repost?), however:

Fascinating. Not shocked to see Missouri further down the list- much of the culture (population?) seems to be concentrated around KC and STL- but Texas being 4th definitely surprises me. Perhaps the Mexican/TexMex culture occupies a higher percentage of the Texan consciousness than any non-BBQ food culture does the Alabamian, Tennessean or especially Oklahoman? There are certainly lots of other things to choose from in Texas metros, which dwarf anything in those other states except maybe Nashville.

I've been trying to avoid ever going back to Oklahoma, but I might have to reconsider. 

And please don't let us know the science, or lack thereof, behind these findings. 

Edit: S. Carolina mustard, N. Carolina vinegar, KC ketchup, Texas ketchup/vinegar/spicy... I think BBQ is what Lee Greenwood was really singing about. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I will say that I like the S. Carolina mustard on the side, I just don’t know many others who do, so it’s rarely available as an option. 

Definitely a rare find elsewhere. 

Everywhere down here, but most of it is basically just slightly spicier honey mustard. Basically it's like KC sauce for me- most of it is that sticky sweet mess you mentioned, but some of it is really great *as a compliment* to the meat. 

Btw, there seems to be a "Savannah style" rib that combines the slow grilling technique with S. Carolina mustard sauce. Trick's and Randy's are the two places that do them this way. If you've been the Fat Matt's in Atlanta, the ribs are similar, just with different sauce. Fat Matt's does have pretty great sauce, btw. Their rib and chicken combo was a go-to for me. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I trust our Gulf Coast brethren are staying out of the water. Ew. 

Sorry. Took me a bit to figure out what you were talking about.

Sea lice I presume? Happens sometimes, and boosts the bottom of the food chain.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Sea lice. Looks like the threat is receding, fortunately. 

Typing while you were.

Tourists don't like it when they ruin a swimming day /two of their trip ($).

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Typing while you were.

Tourists don't like it when they ruin a swimming day /two of their trip ($).

Indeed. 

I know it's petty to complain about important natural phenomena being inconvenient, but still.... ew. I hate anything involving an invertebrate going subcutaneous. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Indeed. 

I know it's petty to complain about important natural phenomena being inconvenient, but still.... ew. I hate anything involving an invertebrate going subcutaneous. 

...and there is their, um, irritating preference for your nether regions.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not cool, sea lice. Not cool.

They're just tryin' to make a living. It's their Job (5:7)

• 2 weeks later...

Little girl whose room I was working on was convinced I fixed her bedside monitor with magic, asked if I could turn her into a mermaid. ? 

Archived