Has anyone tried Vonage?

Do you mean Bondage?  :P

Sorry, dont know what gets in to me sometimes.  :D

153082[/snapback]

That's what she said. :big::big:

Sounds cheap, wondering what the downsides are.

153053[/snapback]

Don't have it, but know people who have tried VoIP services. There are some downsides, depends if its worth it to you. Here are a couple:

If your broadband connection or high speed modem goes down (including during power outages), then so does your phone service. If your broadband supplier (usually the cable company) is reliable (reliable is not usually used to describe a cable company) then it may be worth a try - but that still doesn't solve the power outage issue.

Another important issue is 911 service. They have it, but it doesn't function the same as 911 from traditional phone companies. It goes to a different call center, and they wont have access to your phone number (which means they don't know who or where you are) - so you'll have to provide that information when you call them. I'd advise you to go to the Vonage web site and read up on the 911 service before you make a decision.

Part of the 911 issue is that it doesn't send enough information on the call, and that may also cause some call blocking services to block your call (the number would show up as unknown on caller id).

However, it is cheap. For $25/month, you can make all the local and long distance calls you want. If it were not for the 911 issue, I'd probably do it.

Actually, the 911 issue is misunderstood. Vonage, like many Voip providers works on a system that feeds e911. (e911 pulls up all your info when you call). But since voip service isnt tied to any physical location (you can take your ATA with you anywhere)...you have to specify, when you setup...and subsequently when you move...where your physical location is.

Example, if i go through the 911 setup with a voip provider, chances are...they will have my billing address (assumed physical location). But lets say im going to a beach house for two weeks...i can take my ATA and have my voip service there. But if i didnt tell vonage (or whomever) that my physical location changed...and called 911, e911 would get my original billing addy info.

But if you go through vonage's setup when you first get your service (takes about a day or two for 911 to complete)...the 911 will see the correct physical location.

But if you go through vonage's setup when you first get your service (takes about a day or two for 911 to complete)...the 911 will see the correct physical location.

153108[/snapback]

I was just going by what Vonage states on their website:

Your Call Will Go To A General Access Line at the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP). This is different from the 911 Emergency Response Center where traditional 911 calls go.

* This means your call goes to a different phone number than traditional 911 calls. Also, you will need to state the nature of your emergency promptly and clearly, including your location and telephone number, as Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) personnel will NOT have this information on hand.

Sorry DaddyBoy...I though Vonage had already switched theirs over. I know all the voip people are transitioning towards this:

http://www.packet8.net/about/e911.asp

153120[/snapback]

Same question as TexasTiger: do you use this? Since they have standard (or above) 911 service - and their rates are good, I might consider switching if I hear some good things about them.

Streyeder - skype looks interesting, but do you have to use your PC to make and answer calls?

Sorry DaddyBoy...I though Vonage had already switched theirs over. I know all the voip people are transitioning towards this:

http://www.packet8.net/about/e911.asp

153120[/snapback]

Same question as TexasTiger: do you use this? Since they have standard (or above) 911 service - and their rates are good, I might consider switching if I hear some good things about them.

Streyeder - skype looks interesting, but do you have to use your PC to make and answer calls?

153245[/snapback]

Yes. You can use it on a desktop, laptop AND PocketPC. I like the latter on open wi-fi access points. :)

Archived