History of Rolling Toomer's Corner

LegalEagle

When did the tradition of rolling Toomer's Corner start? I remember that around 1969 Vandy beat Bammer in a night game. I believe the score was 10-7. We all went down to Toomer's corner and had a hell of a rally, including toilet paper in the trees. Was that the beginning of the tradition or did it start some other time?

I don't know exactly when the rolling started (1950's keeps poping up in my head but that could be wrong), but I do know that students used to roll the corner only after road victories.

Well, your reference was sketchy on definitive info.

I was at school during the Sullivan-Beasley years and the only rolling of Toomer's Corner I recall is the one after the Vandy defeat of Bama. And yes I was at the movie theater beside Anders when the announcement was made over the PA near the end of the screening of Russ Meyer's "Vixen." *grin*

Let's ask other to remember yelling "Go For It," er, their first recollection of a rolling of Toomer's Corner and see what we come up with.

WAR EAGLE!

On a side note. I have a framed photo of Toomer's Corner from 1899 that my oldest daughter gave me for Christmas. It would shock you as to how little it has changed.(The tree is there and already a very mature tree in 1899!) :au:

Pardon me, but I'm tryin' to breathe some life into this thread. I think it is important.

For those of you who attended AU, what is the earliest occasion you can remember where Toomer's Corner was rolled after a football game? Obviously, the first time has yet to be established. We need to get a fix on this historic occassion before it is lost forever.

Thanks for any information.

LE

Guest Tigrinum Major

LE, your interest has peaked my own (plus, I am slack at work today), and I have searched high and low on the Internet to no avail for a consesus on when the first time Toomer's was rolled. I cannot even pin down the decade, but the overall opinion is somewhere between 1955 and 1963, long before I was born.

I agree that the event should probably be noted, but who knew that it would grow into such a symbolic representation of Auburn when it first started.

Unfortunately, I fear that the origin may be lost forever, just like the true origin of War Eagle. But that doesn't take away from the practice or the tradition. It will live as long as there are Auburn men and women scattered throughtout the world.

Well, I went to school there from 1969 through 1974, and it couldn't have been a regular occasion then. I only remember the one after the Vandy/Bammer game.

If it was a regular thing then, surely I would remember even in the drunken . . .. Oh, forget that.

Any other recollections???

My first experience was after the 1989 Iron Bowl.

We joined in rolling the corner right after the game, again when we got back from eating a late supper in Opelika, then on the way into Dinaro's (sp) and even when we came out at 2 am, stumbling drunk, we helped the one's that were still out there put the finishing touches on it.

1989 Iron Bowl was My Last Time to Roll Toomer's Corner as a student. and what a weekend ill never forget :)

WDE!!!!

has any one checked with FOY...surely if they know how many bricks make up samfordhall they can come up with a date of when toomers was first rolled..

When did the tradition of rolling Toomer's Corner start?  I remember that around 1969 Vandy beat Bammer in a night game.  I believe the score was 10-7.  We all went down to Toomer's corner and had a hell of a rally, including toilet paper in the trees.  Was that the beginning of the tradition or did it start some other time?

154008[/snapback]

I was on the plains from 67 to 72 and don't recall any event. I was not in Auburn the night of UA vs VU in 69 however. Seems ironic that such a tradition may have it's roots in a Bama loss to our second favorite team, "whoever is playing Bama that day"!

When did the tradition of rolling Toomer's Corner start?  I remember that around 1969 Vandy beat Bammer in a night game.  I believe the score was 10-7.  We all went down to Toomer's corner and had a hell of a rally, including toilet paper in the trees.  Was that the beginning of the tradition or did it start some other time?

154008[/snapback]

Just got the official version from a cousin who works for AU. Emplyees of Toomers Drugs would learn the outcome of away games from the telegraph operator in their store. They would then alert the town's people of a win by tossing rolls of toilet paper into the large trees at the corner of the campus. And that's the rest of the story.

Just got the official version from a cousin who works for AU. Emplyees of Toomers Drugs would learn the outcome of away games from the telegraph operator in their store. They would then alert the town's people of a win by tossing rolls of toilet paper into the large trees at the corner of the campus. And that's the rest of the story.

I lived in Auburn until I went on active duty in 1968 and this is the first time I ever heard that.

Used to be after games, the students would rally at Toomer's Corner and paint the score in tempra on cars passing through. After a few confrontations with disgruntled drivers the practice faded. I guess the students then resorted to throwing toilet paper, probably about the same time it became the thing to do as a prank in high school.

I do know that until 1968, rolling Toomer's Corner was not common. Also the Sani Freeze was not a popular spot and I was quiite suprised to see the uproar over that.

154008[/snapback]

154552[/snapback]

Paul Harvey..........Gooood Day :cheer:

I agree with AFT and doubt the info provided by DyeBama. I am attempting to contact my sister who attended school in the late 50s or early 60s to see if she recalls any rollings. She was in the band, so she would likely know.

My sister e-mailed me and said they were rollin' the corner after each victory when she started school in '58. She said it was also happening earlier than that.

Any other recollections?

Just went through my Glomeratas '66-'68 and found no pictures or references to Toomer's Corner. I personally don't remember rolling the corner. My sister '60 doesn't remember rolling Toomer's Corner.

Incidentally, 1966 was the first year for the :au: logo

This is from an article in today's Plainsman about Toomer's.

Haisten said he’s enjoyed witnessing the evolution of the toilet paper tradition, which began in the ‘60s.

http://www.theplainsman.com/vnews/display....c2?in_archive=1

Archived