Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate podcast

CR

9 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I didn’t listen to all of it, but I think I disagree completely with more than half of what they said. They bashed recruiting. Yet we have consistently recruited better under Gus than any coach in history. 95% of the scholarships have gone to 4 and 5 star players. They even admitted in the podcast that Auburn is a hard place to recruit to. Yet, their evaluation of his predominately 4 and 5 star classes is that he’s done a bad job recruiting??? Complete nonsense. 

They made a big deal about Kam Martin starting number 1 and ending at number 3. Honestly, if our offensive line was working, Kam Martin probably could be our go to guy. Kam mostly slid down the depth chart because he does not fit in the offense well with the offensive line playing so poorly. 

That was about where I stopped listening. I coauthored a paper a few years ago on something called “halo error,” a phenomenon where people evaluate components of others’ work based on general impression rather than focusing on components of work. In coaching evaluation, it occurs when people get fed up with a coach and start to complain about everything the coach does, even when the coach has done something well. It’s very common when the evaluator has lost objectivity. And that’s what I heard from these guys... No objectivity. These guys have decided that they don’t like him anymore and are laying into him with a loose discussion of semi-facts and half truths.

You should listen then because they mostly said things then explained why they felt that way. They didn't really say overall recruiting was bad, they specifically talked about o line and running back recruiting. And recruiting at those positions has been sub par. Especially when you know the importance of the position as far as your ENTIRE offense seems to breakdown and you can't cover up any deficiencies when you are bad at the positions

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, AUFriction said:

That was about where I stopped listening. I coauthored a paper a few years ago on something called “halo error,” a phenomenon where people evaluate components of others’ work based on general impression rather than focusing on components of work. 

Since you coauthored a paper about “halo error”, can you see how these guys have been living under the “halo effect” of Gus for 6 years and finally realized the “errors” of their ways?  This board had done the same thing for those 6 years. We all hoped Gus would “learn” from his mistakes, but now realize that will never happen. When the pendulum swings, it picks up speed.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jeebus chrimmus. We're having to beg Hugh Freeze to start his rehab tour wearing our colors.

But yeah, let's talk about how we were just a couple plays away from defeating the mighty Bulldogs of Mississippi State and the fearsome Volunteers of Tennessee.

The conspiracy side of me thinks that if the SEC allows Auburn to hire Hugh Freeze as our OC they have asked all the SEC teams their OK and they agreed just to keep Gus employed.  This will be an advantage in the near term, but he’ll get us on probation within two years.  Sort of half joking. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

The conspiracy side of me thinks that if the SEC allows Auburn to hire Hugh Freeze as our OC they have asked all the SEC teams their OK and they agreed just to keep Gus employed.  This will be an advantage in the near term, but he’ll get us on probation within two years.  Sort of half joking. 

I think losing a bunch of games and still going on probation is about the only low we haven't sunk to at some point in the last 30 years. Might as well go for it while our pants are down. 

I listened again, and I missed where they say it's hard to recruit for Auburn. It seems as if it would be one of the easiest things to do as far as getting a running back and o line.....but if we can keep convincing wr's and tight ends to come here then I already know anything is possible

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think losing a bunch of games and still going on probation is about the only low we haven't sunk to at some point in the last 30 years. Might as well go for it while our pants are down. 

Haha!  Shake yo arse and bare the booty when yo pants on the ground.:moon:

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I listened again, and I missed where they say it's hard to recruit for Auburn. It seems as if it would be one of the easiest things to do as far as getting a running back and o line.....but if we can keep convincing wr's and tight ends to come here then I already know anything is possible

That one's been a head scratcher for years now.  Are the coaches making promises to TE prospects & their families and then not living up to them? 

Seriously, if my son is any decent size & plays the TE position, I'd want him to canvas his options before signing on with this crew.

Archived