Malzahn meets with Green today

ToomersStreet

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Better be out there getting us a got dang offensive line!

According to twitter he’s trying to steal a LSU DB recruit.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I'm just fed up with it lol. I'm tired of AU being the whooping post every other year

That's what Auburn fans said before they fired Coach Cliff Ellis....and they went out and hired Lebo and then Barbee...and we got to be the laughing stock EVERY year!

8 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

That's what Auburn fans said before they fired Coach Cliff Ellis....and they went out and hired Lebo and then Barbee...and we got to be the laughing stock EVERY year!

And then what happened?

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

And then what happened?

14 years later and we're finally good again! Would you be ok with .500 football until the year 2032 (14 years from now) so long as Malzahn was fired this year?

1 minute ago, AUTigerTime said:

14 years later and we're finally good again! Would you be ok with .500 football until the year 2032 (14 years from now)?

We should never let the possibility of hiring a coach who turns out to be unsuccessful dictate whether or not we keep the current coach.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Maybe Green will show a Gus a slide show presentation on the joys of living and coaching in Lubbock.

It is interesting that Venables turned down the TT job.  He said his daughter is a Clemson student and this is why he turned it down. Probably truth to this to a degree. TT will surprise us all with their hire. 

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

It is interesting that Venables turned down the TT job.  He said his daughter is a Clemson student and this is why he turned it down. Probably truth to this to a degree. TT will surprise us all with their hire. 

So you’re saying Gus to TT, Dabo to Auburn, and Venables becomes the HC at Clemson! 😁

10 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

14 years later and we're finally good again! Would you be ok with .500 football until the year 2032 (14 years from now) so long as Malzahn was fired this year?

You can't win if you don't play.  

Is that what's going to happen?

What are this week's lotto numbers?

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

So you’re saying Gus to TT, Dabo to Auburn, and Venables becomes the HC at Clemson! 😁

i really hope not....oh, the football program will be better, but i CAN NOT STAND DABO!...no way shape,form or fashion.....for me it would be the opposite of malzahn....i have nothing against malzahn as a man,husband or father and he will never do anything to bring shame on AU, but football is suffering....dwebo?.....It would drive me up the wall  with his childish crap that comes from his blubber lips....if malzahn would just run the program,sign off on the game plan and then let the OC run the plan(provided we could get a good OC)....i guess i would rather win games with dwebo than lose with gus,though

2 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

Plus, he just signed a new contract last year, so it'd look bad on EVERYONE who signed off on it.

It already looks bad on everyone who signed it. Are you being serious or joking??

If next year is more of the same, then sure i could see him being canned.  But a winning season and recent (enormous) contract? No way.

You must not have bothered to look at the schedule for 2019. We  could have 5 losses before November easily!

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Many times I have fantasized about the future ESPN 30 for 30...” Low Tide”...The story of the corrupt Crimson Tide reign that killed competitive college football...

Great thought! Only there are so many bammers working for BSPN it will never happen.

Just now, doverstutts said:

i really hope not....oh, the football program will be better, but i CAN NOT STAND DABO!...no way shape,form or fashion.....for me it would be the opposite of malzahn....i have nothing against malzahn as a man,husband or father and he will never do anything to bring shame on AU, but football is suffering....dwebo?.....It would drive me up the wall  with his childish crap that comes from his blubber lips....if malzahn would just run the program,sign off on the game plan and then let the OC run the plan(provided we could get a good OC)....i guess i would rather win games with dwebo than lose with gus,though

I agree, I’m not a big fan of Dabo either, just joking with Doc

16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Well, almost...

Venables' son Jake is a freshman LB at Clemson.  

5 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I agree, I’m not a big fan of Dabo either, just joking with Doc

I would take him in less than a heartbeat. He has built a juggernaut, and every complaint anyone has ever uttered about Gus, he is the exact opposite of it. Dude can coach.

Just now, Auctoritas said:

I would take him in less than a heartbeat. He has built a juggernaut, and every complaint anyone has ever uttered about Gus, he is the exact opposite of it. Dude can coach.

Yeah, but being an alum, he'd bolt for turdtown before the ink was dry on saban's resignation. 

This Dabo talk is making me so sad. This is about as likely as Jeff Fisher and Jon Gruden to Auburn was, back in the day. Never going to happen. Never.

1 minute ago, Auctoritas said:

Dude can coach.

He has hired some tremendous assistants and completely trusted them do their jobs.  Last two Broyles award winners are on his staff (Elliott and Venables) and a third is gunning for it this year (Scott).

7 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

He has hired some tremendous assistants and completely trusted them do their jobs.  Last two Broyles award winners are on his staff (Elliott and Venables) and a third is gunning for it this year (Scott).

Yup. But he also is engaged with sideline coaching. Fixing problems, addressing the team, animated. Those kids LOVE playing for him. It's why they're so good. And why they keep getting recruiting wins.

I can't see them canning Gus after a "horrible" year of 7 wins. I'm not sure who the last coach was that Auburn fired who won at least 7 games (or winning season). Plus, he just signed a new contract last year, so it'd look bad on EVERYONE who signed off on it.

If next year is more of the same, then sure i could see him being canned.  But a winning season and recent (enormous) contract? No way.

They need a competent OL, which honestly still doesn't look promising with the current recruiting class. But, i don't think we're far away from being back at a 10 win program. Just sign some top ranked JUCO guys for the OL to save face for next year.

With a brand new QB?  And possibly a brand new OC?  And the loss of a ton in defense?  It's going to be tough to save face even with some top ranked JUCO OL guys that will still have to learn whatever system CGM & the OC puts in place next season.

Sorry to sound defeatist,  but next year looks even more bleak to me than this one.   Anything's possible I guess.

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

First point really just sums up his time  at  Auburn.

Man hooters?  Thank you for  bringing that to my attention.  I will never forget it.

oh yes i have seen that several times. this is the issue i have with gus haters...in their anger against gus they trash him repeatedly with petty remarks. i have even seen his wife take shots { on another board} and last time i checked she was not coaching. some can claim it is in fun but spare me please. as down as i am about this season i will still give gus props for helping us win a natty, almost winning one himself and beating nick three times if you count when chiz was head coach. so i refuse to make it personal with him. i appreciate what he has done for us and i wish him well. if he stays i will still support the team because Auburn is more than just a team to me. and maybe if he gets the right advice from his new bosses he can turn things around. by this i mean making the right hires and making sure top money is there for known quality assistants. and this includes making sure steele has the assistants he wants and not being told he needs to keep jim and joe because they are good auburn men. and steele might have that i am not sure. and i think if we are going to struggle every year on offense we need a change in strength and conditioning decisions or a new s and c coach to make sure we are in absolute top physical condition. and as i am just a fan i might miss things but if bama  players are not on steroids then we need a new program because we got manhandled way too often during the game.

14 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Yup. But he also is engaged with sideline coaching. Fixing problems, addressing the team, animated. Those kids LOVE playing for him. It's why they're so good. And why they keep getting recruiting wins.

I think you missed my point.  A "great" coach hires capable assistants and coaches them to do their jobs to the best of their abilities, removing all legitimate barriers to doing so.  It was a backhanded jab at our current situation...Gus is the barrier for our assistants in many cases. 

To your point, I'm not sure I've seen a reaction like Christian Wilkins' after the unsportamanlike penalty for the "pose" last Saturday night.  Dabo completely undressed him on national TV and it was obvious the player was remorseful and disappointed in himself.  It was truly a breath of fresh air and as much as I would like to hate Dabo I simply find less and less to dislike about him or the way he handles that program.

If Auburn had a chance to replace Gus with Dabo, Auburn should take it without thinking twice. The guy can really coach and recruiting those 4 and 5* studs.

Archived