Malzahn meets with Green today

ToomersStreet

18 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

I can't see them canning Gus after a "horrible" year of 7 wins. I'm not sure who the last coach was that Auburn fired who won at least 7 games (or winning season). Plus, he just signed a new contract last year, so it'd look bad on EVERYONE who signed off on it.

If next year is more of the same, then sure i could see him being canned.  But a winning season and recent (enormous) contract? No way.

Considering this year's expectations I'd say it was a pretty bad year

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

they are going to try and find a way to lessen the fallout i can only assume regardless of which way things go as to keeping or firing him. i can only assume gus will be kept because of the money thing? that is no reason to keep a coach if we have plenty of money to right the ship. personally i think leath should get the boot because he did ALL this. people want to be mad at gus for taking the contract? lol ok wid that. all of you to a man would except that huge pay raise if it was offered. the fact is all of y'all hating on gus are hating on the wrong person. gus wants to be a winner and wants to be loved by auburn as much as he loves auburn. the sad fact is a new leak springs up every single year to dismantle the team and gus has not handled it very effectively resulting in more leaks. having to consider firing coaches every single year almost means he hired the wrong people to do the job unless the powers that be have forced some coaches on him which i doubt. as for some of you haters the way you make things personal with gus like his man hooters or picking his nose or bashing his personality are just taking joy into smearing a man and make it more personal than just big coaching mistakes. and some of you take great joy in belittling gus on things that have nothing to do with his coaching record. in other words you tend to lose credibility by cheap attacks instead of focusing on the real problems.

This ^^^^^^^

I think we all feel certain that if there was a reasonable buyout, Gus would have been fired while walking off the field Saturday evening.  But Leath has made that damn near impossible.

So, if we have to put up with Gus for another year, he should get no flak from anybody for being himself, and "leading" us to another 7-5 season.  Leath should get all the blame.

And I'm firmly in the camp of "fire Leath over this".  While his main job is providing quality academics, athletics is still a large part of what he oversees, albeit (ideally) from a high vantage point.  He completely screwed up a large part of his job last year, and put us and the Auburn football program in a huge bind, before the ink was even dry on his own contract.

What if you had made a mistake of those proportions at your job?  Would you still have it today?

But I'll tell you all this: I'm a little scared for Gus to be fired, because the one thing he does well is recruit (offensive line notwithstanding).  And we would lose some good recruits, I think. 

The Auburn team I saw on Saturday did not run a single player onto the field that I think could start for Alabama, aside from our punter and a defensive lineman.  Even their pathetic FG team is better than ours.  We are so far behind Bama in talent, it'll hurt to lose a single recruit that Gus has lined up for next year.

But it's got to be done sometime.  This year or next.

That's what I think.  And I'm an AU grad, so I'm right.  Right?

2 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

But I'll tell you all this: I'm a little scared for Gus to be fired, because the one thing he does well is recruit (offensive line notwithstanding).  And we would lose some good recruits, I think. 

The Auburn team I saw on Saturday did not run a single player onto the field that I think could start for Alabama, aside from our punter and a defensive lineman.  Even their pathetic FG team is better than ours.  We are so far behind Bama in talent, it'll hurt to lose a single recruit that Gus has lined up for next year.

Erbody behind Bama in talent...erbody. I mean their receivers ran past Davis and Dean like zoom...

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I have true inside info.

99% of highly influencial message board posters want Gus gone.

1% of them want him to stay.

:beer2:

I'd say it's the same ratio for all of us non-influential poster too. We just aren't invited to your meetings. 😁

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

they are going to try and find a way to lessen the fallout i can only assume regardless of which way things go as to keeping or firing him. i can only assume gus will be kept because of the money thing? that is no reason to keep a coach if we have plenty of money to right the ship. personally i think leath should get the boot because he did ALL this. people want to be mad at gus for taking the contract? lol ok wid that. all of you to a man would except that huge pay raise if it was offered. the fact is all of y'all hating on gus are hating on the wrong person. gus wants to be a winner and wants to be loved by auburn as much as he loves auburn. the sad fact is a new leak springs up every single year to dismantle the team and gus has not handled it very effectively resulting in more leaks. having to consider firing coaches every single year almost means he hired the wrong people to do the job unless the powers that be have forced some coaches on him which i doubt. as for some of you haters the way you make things personal with gus like his man hooters or picking his nose or bashing his personality are just taking joy into smearing a man and make it more personal than just big coaching mistakes. and some of you take great joy in belittling gus on things that have nothing to do with his coaching record. in other words you tend to lose credibility by cheap attacks instead of focusing on the real problems.

First point really just sums up his time  at  Auburn.

Man hooters?  Thank you for  bringing that to my attention.  I will never forget it.

6 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think the gap is closer than it appears if the development and use of the talent we have was comparable. But you're right, Saturday during the second half the difference was obvious. The depth they have is insane. 

6 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I don't think he recruits well at all. He gets stars, but a hefty portion of those stars consistently transfer out, get kicked off the team or languish on the bench. We have no ideology governing our recruiting that I can see. We have a bunch of scatbacks for a running style that feeds the ball between the tackles 25 or more times a game. We're thin and lack talent on the offensive line. We have a weird mix of projects, drop back passers and "dual-threats" making up our QB depth chart. We recruit well defensively NOW, but that wasn't the case at all until Muschamp showed up. I think we'd be fine. We might drop off on numbers of stars, but we might actually recruit our needs better as well. 

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

What school in their right mind would pay Gus’s buy out?

I don't see a school paying 32 mill....I could see a school picking up Gus afterwards and funny enough I actually see Gus being successful at a smaller school ( Arky St, Tulsa , ) non power 5s, I just don't think he is cut out for the elite... But I could see where he would be an enticing hire for allot of middle of pack and lower ... Problem is they don't have the funds for a buyout so that is on us... They will scrape him up after the fact.

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think the gap is closer than it appears if the development and use of the talent we have was comparable. But you're right, Saturday during the second half the difference was obvious. The depth they have is insane. 

It's not a far stretch to think their 2nd string, if coached by Saban and Bama's staff, could have been a top 20 team this year.

14 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

It's not a far stretch to think their 2nd string, if coached by Saban and Bama's staff, could have been a top 20 team this year.

This is probably true. I’m not all in on the conspiracy camp that thinks they are just cheating like crazy but you do start to wonder. No team has been able to do what they have done the last ten years before and you wonder if anyone could do it after.  I don’t want to be tin foil hat guy but I also don’t want to be naive...something screwy has to be going on over in T Town. 

14 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

as been said before saban demands perfection. Gus demands....anyone know?

Its ok if a coach can't do it anymore on a high level, just don't drag the whole program down with you.

The players did the best as they could and didn't quit which is honorable no matter what. Never thought I would see a scared coaching staff at Auburn but that's what we saw Saturday.

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

This is probably true. I’m not all in on the conspiracy camp that thinks they are just cheating like crazy but you do start to wonder. No team has been able to do what they have done the last ten years before and you wonder if anyone could do it after.  I don’t want to be tin foil hat guy but I also don’t want to be naive...something screwy has to be going on over in T Town. 

name a school that doesn't have up and down years. There is only one and they own the sec, have infiltrated the ncaa, sec, politics and media. Yes the uat mafia is a real thing.

Now a lot of what Auburn is doing is self inflicted but the root of college football corruption and problems is firmly planted in tuscalooser.

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

name a school that doesn't have up and down years. There is only one and they own the sec, have infiltrated the ncaa, sec, politics and media. Yes the uat mafia is a real thing.

Now a lot of what Auburn is doing is self inflicted but the root of college football corruption and problems is firmly planted in tuscalooser.

Many times I have fantasized about the future ESPN 30 for 30...” Low Tide”...The story of the corrupt Crimson Tide reign that killed competitive college football...

9 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Many times I have fantasized about the future ESPN 30 for 30...” Low Tide”...The story of the corrupt Crimson Tide reign that killed competitive college football...

it wont be on bspn cause they are in it up to their necks as well. It would have to a major news network or other sports outlet.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Gus is actually out recruiting today since this is the beginning of open contact period.  Not sure if he’d still be meeting with Green?

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Too bad Mack Brown's no longer available.  Ptttt...

UNC pulled a JABA.

Maybe that's a sign that Auburn will quit Clemsoning.

:cheers:

Hi AU. Just curious to find out what is meant by "Clemsoning". Thanks

9 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

name a school that doesn't have up and down years.

I believe it was said of one of Osborne's Nebraska teams of the mid 80's that their backups could beat anybody's first team.  The USC teams under Pete Carroll...The U through the 90's...Spurrier's Gators...Shembechler, Paterno, Bowden, Switzer.  Saban is a great time teller but the cycle will complete.

6 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Gus is actually out recruiting today since this is the beginning of open contact period.  Not sure if he’d still be meeting with Green?

Halt!  

Truth and logic are not welcome here.  You're looking for the Equestrian Forum...

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Halt!  

Truth and logic are not welcome here.  You're looking for the Equestrian Forum...

Better be out there getting us a got dang offensive line!

13 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Hi AU. Just curious to find out what is meant by "Clemsoning". Thanks

TOP DEFINITION
Clemsoning
1. The act of failing miserably on a grand athletic stage, or when the stakes are high. 2. Record-setting failure, usually reserved for college football.
There was an epic example of clemsoning when Clemson hosted Florida State in a highly anticipated football game on October 19, 2013. Clemson was ranked 3rd, while Florida State was ranked 5th. Florida State won the game 51 - 14. Clemson set a NCAA record for margin of defeat by a home team ranked #3 or higher. The 51 points scored by Florida State is the most points ever allowed by a Clemson opponent on Clemson's home field. Most of the home team fans could not take the clemsoning any longer and left the game mid way through the third quarter.
#clembarrassing#acc#clemson#fail#losing#clemson#crushed#espn
by Titleist2001 October 20, 2013

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clemsoning

***But there's hope.  After a few years of building the program, Dabo brought an end to Clemsoning and now they're regularly winning the ACC and showing up in the playoff.  Gives hope that "JABA" will end too...

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

TOP DEFINITION
Clemsoning
1. The act of failing miserably on a grand athletic stage, or when the stakes are high. 2. Record-setting failure, usually reserved for college football.
There was an epic example of clemsoning when Clemson hosted Florida State in a highly anticipated football game on October 19, 2013. Clemson was ranked 3rd, while Florida State was ranked 5th. Florida State won the game 51 - 14. Clemson set a NCAA record for margin of defeat by a home team ranked #3 or higher. The 51 points scored by Florida State is the most points ever allowed by a Clemson opponent on Clemson's home field. Most of the home team fans could not take the clemsoning any longer and left the game mid way through the third quarter.
#clembarrassing#acc#clemson#fail#losing#clemson#crushed#espn
by Titleist2001 October 20, 2013

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clemsoning

Got it Thanks. I now understand.

Archived