Malzahn meets with Green today

ToomersStreet

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

With a brand new QB?  And possibly a brand new OC?  And the loss of a ton in defense?  It's going to be tough to save face even with some top ranked JUCO OL guys that will still have to learn whatever system CGM & the OC puts in place next season.

Sorry to sound defeatist,  but next year looks even more bleak to me than this one.   Anything's possible I guess.

if we get a really big time quality offensive coach it could work to our advantage if gus allows him to call  his own plays. most opposing d's will have to figure out the new system and i assume in most cases it might make the d's a step slower? our o line improved and i think they can get better. i think with a new face or two and instilling a mean streak will work wonders. i do not think we are that far off. my biggest worry is that bringing in the kid from clemson will cause dissention in the locker room for those who have been patiently waiting their turn. anyway i choose to be hopeful and i refuse to be all gloom and doom for another year. and yes i know that might be a tough thing to do.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

He has hired some tremendous assistants and completely trusted them do their jobs.  Last two Broyles award winners are on his staff (Elliott and Venables) and a third is gunning for it this year (Scott).

this! this! this!

Auburn's President and AD are gonna have egg on their faces any how after Gus has another 7-6 or 8-5 record at best. That's all Gus is good for.. Now if Gus is really lucky, he might be 9-4 but I truly doubt it.

45 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

So you’re saying Gus to TT, Dabo to Auburn, and Venables becomes the HC at Clemson! 😁

Hey, we wouldn’t be “disappointed by 12-0”. Article after the South Carolina game said that some were disappointed with the team after the USCe game, in which he responded: 

“12-0 ain’t good enough? Then it’s time for me to seek other places. Make sure you get that.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/dabo-12-0-aint-good-enough-time-seek-places/

Hey Gus - 

How Brian Kelly reinvented Notre Dame to reclaim national relevance

“It was a really critical time for the program,” Swarbrick the Fighting Irish athletic director said. Of critical importance in that critical time: Swarbrick never considered firing head coach Brian Kelly. He said as much midway through that ’16 season, and he stuck by him even as the losses mounted. But there would be major changes to come.“A lot of things had to change, including me,” Kelly said. ” … We didn’t reinvent the wheel here. Behind the scenes, we made some tweaks.”Truth is, those “tweaks” were titanic. There were new coordinators across the board: offense, defense, special teams, strength coach. A re-examination of practice structure. Changes to offseason programs. Even the head coach’s attitude and occasionally volcanic demeanor were open to re-evaluation.........Since that low point in LA on Nov. 26, 2016, Notre Dame has gone 22-3. But even from the bounce-back 10-3 record of ’17 to the breakthrough 12-0 of ’18, there were additional changes that had to be made.......

PAY ATTENTION GUS......EVEN WEEMAN DOES IT WITH OUT BEING TOLD!!!!

18 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I think you missed my point.  A "great" coach hires capable assistants and coaches them to do their jobs to the best of their abilities, removing all legitimate barriers to doing so.  It was a backhanded jab at our current situation...Gus is the barrier for our assistants in many cases. 

To your point, I'm not sure I've seen a reaction like Christian Wilkins' after the unsportamanlike penalty for the "pose" last Saturday night.  Dabo completely undressed him on national TV and it was obvious the player was remorseful and disappointed in himself.  It was truly a breath of fresh air and as much as I would like to hate Dabo I simply find less and less to dislike about him or the way he handles that program.

Nah, I caught it. I agree completely with it too.

Although (and I could be wrong) I haven't heard of him meddling with anything but OC. Is he involved anywhere else?

40 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This Dabo talk is making me so sad. This is about as likely as Jeff Fisher and Jon Gruden to Auburn was, back in the day. Never going to happen. Never.

Lol but that Jeff Fisher to AU talk now? That could feasibly happen. It would be a horrible hire since he is the Les Miles of the NFL and refuses to change his outdated scheme. But that dude is not getting another NFL head coaching job. He could be had. It would be a big name but it would be a failure.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol but that Jeff Fisher to AU talk now? That could feasibly happen. It would be a horrible hire since he is the Les Miles of the NFL and refuses to change his outdated scheme. But that dude is not getting another NFL head coaching job. He could be had. It would be a big name but it would be a failure.

One can dream (regarding Dabo). Know that there is no chance, but man, could you imagine that excitement?

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

One can dream (regarding Dabo). Know that there is no chance, but man, could you imagine that excitement?

Auburn football would be the talk of the town. We'd have to basically throw the bank at him though. Like unheard-of amounts of money.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Excitement to me right now is a coaching search PERIOD. Besides one of those magical winning seasons we have every few years the most exciting thing in college football is a coaching search. There is no better time on a message board than a coaching search. Even if I was still a Gus fan I would want it to happen because it is just so addicting and so thrilling. AND YES of course getting Dabo would be absolutely iconic. AND THEN eventually we would all worry about when he is going to bama! lol.

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Auburn football would be the talk of the town. We'd have to basically throw the bank at him though. Like unheard-of amounts of money.

Agreed, in the football landscape it would be worth it IMO and good for Auburn, but I am also one that does not agree with coach salaries anyway lol.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It would be a gangster move though by Greene. He'd basically be saying, alright Bama, enough f'ing around. 

24 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Hey, we wouldn’t be “disappointed by 12-0”. Article after the South Carolina game said that some were disappointed with the team after the USCe game, in which he responded: 

“12-0 ain’t good enough? Then it’s time for me to seek other places. Make sure you get that.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/dabo-12-0-aint-good-enough-time-seek-places/

Gotta admit, if he's unhappy with Clemson's fans for their response to their results, he'd HATE us.

gus.gif

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

and i think if we are going to struggle every year on offense we need a change in strength and conditioning decisions or a new s and c coach to make sure we are in absolute top physical condition. and as i am just a fan i might miss things but if bama  players are not on steroids then we need a new program because we got manhandled way too often during the game.

I cherry picking your post '50, but Auburn was man handled much worse by the likes of MSU this year with a 1st yr coach than they were on Saturday.  MSU trucked us on both lines and ran the F all over our guys (Fitz up the middle for +190 yrds rushing.)  :banghead: 

Now, I'm not saying bama players aren't on steroids I'm just saying bama ain't the only program than imposed their will on the AU lines this season.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Gotta admit, if he's unhappy with Clemson's fans for their response to their results, he'd HATE us.

His results are a lot different than our’s though, 8 straight 10 wins, 4 straight with 12+. Sure, fans will always find something to complain about, but you would see nowhere even close to the realm of complaining you see now if he was achieving that here.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

thank god

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

It's JetGate all over again...

But this time AU wants it to leak because their will be NO public backlash to this news. It fact it will be met with partying and rejoicing in the streets!!!! lol

All I can say is that if Green lets Gus go today he had better have someone better in place tomm.. If not we will start losing this recruiting class fast. And if we do that then whoever is the coach next year will have an uphill battle for the next 4 years. You can't just fire a coach without having someone better ready to go. If he can't get anyone better this year he would be better off letting Gus stay and hiring Freeze and see what happens. If he fires Gus and waits two weeks whoever he brings in will be playing from way behind. I know most people on here want Gus to go but it has to be done right. I can almost guaranty we lose Pickens, Johnson and Pappoe before two weeks are up. And once those guys de-commit we will not see them again. That said the longer we don't hear anything about Freeze the more likely it is Gus is gone.

36 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if we get a really big time quality offensive coach it could work to our advantage if gus allows him to call  his own plays. most opposing d's will have to figure out the new system and i assume in most cases it might make the d's a step slower? our o line improved and i think they can get better. i think with a new face or two and instilling a mean streak will work wonders. i do not think we are that far off. my biggest worry is that bringing in the kid from clemson will cause dissention in the locker room for those who have been patiently waiting their turn. anyway i choose to be hopeful and i refuse to be all gloom and doom for another year. and yes i know that might be a tough thing to do.

Ever the Optimist!  :bow:

Archived