Here is what Gus needs to do

gr82b4au

I think if Chip decides to leave and he doesn’t get approval for Freeze, he does take over play calling responsibilities but we take a step back on defense because he will go fast and the defense will be on the field a lot just like this year. I can deal with a defense that gives up some yards but doesn’t break in the red zone if the offense is putting up points. Not sure Steele will feel the same way.

12 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I think if Chip decides to leave and he doesn’t get approval for Freeze, he does take over play calling responsibilities but we take a step back on defense because he will go fast and the defense will be on the field a lot just like this year. I can deal with a defense that gives up some yards but doesn’t break in the red zone if the offense is putting up points. Not sure Steele will feel the same way.

That was the problem this year. The D had to play way too many snaps, b/c the offense couldn't sustain long drives, or in too many cases had 3 and outs. 

17 hours ago, alexava said:

I have always wanted Gus to take the offense back. That’s his thing. He is not a ceo. 

I'm scratching my head on this one.

Why now do we want Gus to take the offense back?

After his 1st year here of being successful, he has had how many mediocre seasons of 5 losses? 4 out of the next 5 were not very good years at all. And he was running the offense until the last 2 years, and many think that he still controlled everything even if CL added some passing plays.

Everything I read about Stidham and his chances in the NFL, are based on how 'elementary' or 'bland' or 'not 'QB friendly' our offense under Gus is. 

So why do we want him to take it back?

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm scratching my head on this one.

Why now do we want Gus to take the offense back?

After his 1st year here of being successful, he has had how many mediocre seasons of 5 losses? 4 out of the next 5 were not very good years at all. And he was running the offense until the last 2 years, and many think that he still controlled everything even if CL added some passing plays.

Everything I read about Stidham and his chances in the NFL, are based on how 'elementary' or 'bland' or 'not 'QB friendly' our offense under Gus is. 

So why do we want him to take it back?

You need to revisit the numbers. 

5 hours ago, AURealist said:

It is my hope.  I know it's slim and I'm not making bets on it, but it's literally the only thing short of outright firing Gus that can change what happens on the field next season.   I refuse to seek solace in reveries of our brighter past (where we're always awesome and world famous) which I suspect is where threads will be trending soon.  I want to believe we're always actively doing something now to be better.  

believe.jpeg

I totally understand.  Every year I swear I won’t get taken in by the hype and propaganda and yet, come September, I’m believing there’s a chance THIS YEAR will be different.  We’re just fans of Auburn University. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

You need to revisit the numbers. 

I’m actually with you on wanting Gus to take the offense back.  Shocking I know, but with a stipulation.  That stipulation is we do not get KB at QB and Gus has to run that offense with the players he has recruited, no stop gap measures.  This will let everybody know if Gus can develop and coach with what he brings to the table.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m actually with you on wanting Gus to take the offense back.  Shocking I know, but with a stipulation.  That stipulation is we do not get KB at QB and Gus has to run that offense with the players he has recruited, no stop gap measures.  This will let everybody know if Gus can develop and coach with what he brings to the table.

:timeout:

I suspect Gus is gone after next season no matter what he does.  Do you want to hurt or help his chances of being sought by another school?  

9 minutes ago, AURealist said:

:timeout:

I suspect Gus is gone after next season no matter what he does.  Do you want to hurt or help his chances of being sought by another school?  

I don’t think it will matter.  He gets fired and takes a couple years off and tries to resurrect his career a la Les Miles.  Our only hope of Gus moving to another school is this year. JMO.

If I were Gus I would take some of that 7 Million a year and go find the best recruiting, best fundamentals, best motivational offensesive line coach in America. Pay him whatever he requires to come to AU and turn him loose.

5 minutes ago, AU70 said:

If I were Gus I would take some of that 7 Million a year and go find the best recruiting, best fundamentals, best motivational offensesive line coach in America. Pay him whatever he requires to come to AU and turn him loose.

Except that  we are two to three years too late for this. And a QB coach thats lights out.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I totally understand.  Every year I swear I won’t gets taken in by the hype and propaganda and yet, come September, I’m believing there’s a chance THIS YEAR will be different.  We’re just fans of Auburn University. 

image.png

16 minutes ago, homersapien said:

image.png

Lucy had quite the racket going. She caused a lot of Charlie Brown's confidence issues and then ran a therapy booth to charge him 5 cents to help him. Poor guy just couldn't win. He would probably be an Auburn fan along with us. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:
20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

image.png

Lucy had quite the racket going. She caused a lot of Charlie Brown's confidence issues and then ran a therapy booth to charge him 5 cents to help him. Poor guy just couldn't win. He would probably be an Auburn fan along with us. 

Edited by gr82be

If Charlie Brown is a Auburn fan then I can just imagine his reaction at Gus returning as HC next year....

charlie.jpg

23 hours ago, doug3020 said:

He could go to Ga Tech. That would work for me.

I love the tricycle picture!

Gus should focus his energies on the same things the best head coaches have.

1. All aspects of recruiting, recruiting and more recruiting.

2. All aspects of hiring the best assistant coaches he can find and making sure they have everything they need to be successful. Then let them do their job but at the same time hold them accountable every single week.

If he can focus on everything that needs to be done in those 2 areas he will be successful. You cannot overcome short comings in those 2 areas with schemes and formations. There are many different offensive and defensive schemes that are successful that good asst. coaches and play callers are running all over the country. Don't be pigeon holed.

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That was the problem this year. The D had to play way too many snaps, b/c the offense couldn't sustain long drives, or in too many cases had 3 and outs. 

Agreed. That’s why I have said you can’t have a top 20 defense and run a spread no huddle fast pace offense. 

On December 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM, ChltteTiger said:

Great and we fans will spend the offseason and on into the 2019 season trying to figure out which option he chose. We all know he could declare one way or the other for the media and still do whatever the heck he wants. 

Agreed. The HUNH which worked in 2 seasons for Gus, w Cam and year 1 w Marshall is not the typical hurry up other teams play. I  honestly believe the O under Gus is stale and he is unable to coach his way out of it. It's obvious he gets 19 to try and fix things, but I also don't see Kelly Bryant as a piece that will actually correct the flaws. We do need a TB that goes 220 w speed and our O line is in shambles. The improvement by the line late in the year was against very inferior opponents. Generally, an O Line issue takes at least 2 years to resolve. I have zero faith Malzahn can bring the program back. We don't need 1 year fixes, we need consistent seasons being in the mix the last few games of the season and 4 out of 6 years,  that has not happened. Our O is brutal to watch. No rhythm and no play calling. So, if everyone wants him to take over offensive duties, I honestly see nothing getting better and more top talent being wasted! 

1 hour ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Agreed. That’s why I have said you can’t have a top 20 defense and run a spread no huddle fast pace offense. 

Yep but at least we are scoring. Now we go 3 and out. 

On 12/1/2018 at 3:21 PM, gr82b4au said:

Since it appears he is staying, he MUST do 1 of 2 things IMO. 

1) Take over all the play calling duties. He was hired because he knows how to coach an offense. Right now the meddling that he is doing is just not working. May as well call every play like you did back when our offense was amazing.

or 

2) Let the assistants do their job. Step back and Stop meddling with the offense.

Those are the only 2 choices. 

I agree wholeheartedly...It would make things a bit more coherent and players would only have “one” coach to listen to and satisfy. Let the OC (or whomever) assist and coach up the QBs in getting their understanding of the offense under their belts. It just makes too much sense, but would simplify responsibilities for players and coaches.

22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Don't get all of this "take the offense back" stuff. We have been running the offense Gus wants. This whole time. 

19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't get all of this "take the offense back" stuff. We have been running the offense Gus wants. This whole time. 

I believe that with out a doubt.  What I want to see is Gus having no perceived excuse next year so the PTB and Leath have nothing to fall back on.  A few on this board too.  

Thanks for the response.

Archived