QB Tyree Jackson looking to transfer

PigskinPat

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

I thought Dilly was supposed to offer up a selection of 2-3 plays during the game and Gus will choose which one he wants?  Like he did with Norvell.

Does Dilly plan to coach from the booth or the sideline? 

If he's dialing up plays for Gus to choose from, then the booth would probably be better, but if he's strictly coaching QBs during a game and not worrying about play calling, then the sideline may be better so he'll have direct contact with his QBs.  

I am guessing he will just do the same thing as Rhett and tell Gus where the safeties are during the games.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure.  Bring in him.  If he doesn't work out at QB, then Gus could always convert him to a triple-threat QB/TE.  Or pack on a few more pounds to that 6-7 frame and convert him to an OT.  No risk win-win! 

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

This has to be the most commonly misspelled word on the board, rivaled only by misuses of “to”, “too”, or “two”! 

Never forget this beauty...

Alot-vs-a-lot1-600x450.png

1 hour ago, keesler said:

:bow:      And just for record, our current QB coach is a 28 yr old from the Memphis coaching ranks with a couple of yrs experience in the AAC conference.  I do not want to see Nix thrown to the wolves as a TrF QB behind this line with a not so reliable running game.

At least he can go legally drinking with Cord.

59 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I have a feeling alot of Bo's abilities can be attributed to his father. JMO.

Nah!  He studied film of Stan White. 😉

:poke:

I don't think we "need" Tyree Jackson anymore than we "needed" Kelly Bryant, Jalen Hurts, or Kalil Tate. But what the aforementioned QBs offer is a known quantity. And you also have to consider the value of playing "keep away" with your opponents... Bear Bryant made his living playing that game.

It's been said before, but the coaching staff's job is to put the best team on the field. Personally I don't care if they developed that talent or not. And if you're starring down the possibility of losing your job next year, it doesn't hurt to bring in a quality quarterback or other position for that matter. But I'm not sure that Mr. Jackson fits into that category. Interesting thought, but given the other holes we need to plug with our roster, we'd be better served looking elsewhere.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I thought Dilly was supposed to offer up a selection of 2-3 plays during the game and Gus will choose which one he wants?  Like he did with Norvell.

Does Dilly plan to coach from the booth or the sideline? 

If he's dialing up plays for Gus to choose from, then the booth would probably be better, but if he's strictly coaching QBs during a game and not worrying about play calling, then the sideline may be better so he'll have direct contact with his QBs.  

I don't understand it that way.....was thinking his input along with other offensive coaches was before the game started...and maybe at halftime...but Gus will make the calls once the game is underway.    Can't imagine there is time to take a "poll" before each play though someone might make suggestions from the booth?  

AND just my view but I hope Dilly is on the sideline and consulting with the QB as the game moves along.   

Guess we will find out tomorrow.  

22 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I don't think we "need" Tyree Jackson anymore than we "needed" Kelly Bryant, Jalen Hurts, or Kalil Tate. But what the aforementioned QBs offer is a known quantity. And you also have to consider the value of playing "keep away" with your opponents... Bear Bryant made his living playing that game.

It's been said before, but the coaching staff's job is to put the best team on the field. Personally I don't care if they developed that talent or not. And if you're starring down the possibility of losing your job next year, it doesn't hurt to bring in a quality quarterback or other position for that matter. But I'm not sure that Mr. Jackson fits into that category. Interesting thought, but given the other holes we need to plug with our roster, we'd be better served looking elsewhere.

Auburn's paying him $7mm to coach in 2019 + a buyout of $26,625,000 at the end of the '19 season if they want to can him.  They (whoever holds the purse strings) wouldn't fork out $31,725,000 a few weeks ago  - that '19 buyout isn't any more palatable than the '18 buyout.  He's here for a while, IMO.

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

So coachin the QB over the phone - thanks.

Thanks for nothing......IMO

7 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I think when people say "develop a QB" they don't even fully know what that means. They just repeat what somebody else said 

Help us out, sizzle.

44 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn's paying him $7mm to coach in 2019 + a buyout of $26,625,000 at the end of the '19 season if they want to can him.  They (whoever holds the purse strings) wouldn't fork out $31,725,000 a few weeks ago  - that '19 buyout isn't any more palatable than the '18 buyout.  He's here for a while, IMO.

So, for OUR sake, he'd better finally have figured it out :glare:

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So, for OUR sake, he'd better finally have figured it out :glare:

Fan's will just have to like it or lump it - just like we did this year.  The Administration will work the media and bait us like they always do.  They'll toy with our emotions as we twist in the wind and uncertainty abounds.  Then they'll (Admin) will switch it all around on us in an effort to ease the worries & anguish with promises of a bright future, complete support of the HC, and they'll gather us all together in kumbya to help salvage the recruiting class once again.

I've seen the Bait 'n Switch so many times in the past decade that I can call it blind folded.  The entire charade for the past 10 weeks since the miserable MSU ass kicking has played out perfectly.  

The money's there!  He has to beat OleMiss or he's outta here!  The money's there!  He better beat aTm to save his job! The money's there!  He has to get the team to bowl eligibility to save his seat!  The money's there!  Bob Stoop's people are very interested.  The money's there! Harbert negotiating contract reduction.  But the Money's there! Gus is the Coach of the Future - the Pres/AD back him 100%!  Hire some wet behind the ears OC (in name only) to coach QBs - Save the recruiting class once again! The Future's Bright!

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Fan's will just have to like it or lump it - just like we did this year.  The Administration will work the media and bait us like they always do.  They'll toy with our emotions as we twist in the wind and uncertainty abounds.  Then they'll (Admin) will switch it all around on us in an effort to ease the worries & anguish with promises of a bright future, complete support of the HC, and they'll gather us all together in kumbya to help salvage the recruiting class once again.

I've seen the Bait 'n Switch so many times in the past decade that I can call it blind folded.  The entire charade for the past 10 weeks since the miserable MSU ass kicking has played out perfectly.  

The money's there!  He has to beat OleMiss or he's outta here!  The money's there!  He better beat aTm to save his job! The money's there!  He has to get the team to bowl eligibility to save his seat!  The money's there!  Bob Stoop's people are very interested.  The money's there! Harbert negotiating contract reduction.  But the Money's there! Gus is the Coach of the Future - the Pres/AD back him 100%!  Hire some wet behind the ears OC (in name only) to coach QBs - Save the recruiting class once again! The Future's Bright!

Nothing I can disagree with.

I said all along if "the money's there" then fire him this year because after paying him & his staff for '19 the buyout doesn't lower enough to really be any different next year vs now.

So, I guess after another 7-5 the PTB will just be angrier?  I agree with your previous post.  Unless he goes Chiz on us and losses 9+ games, he's here for '20 as well.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

What other Auburn boards do you frequent?

I'm addicted to this place and rarely ever visit other AU boards.

Ha well just about all of them. Rivals 247 (and scout) etc. For laughs I go to the Sec rant, etc. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Ha well just about all of them. Rivals 247 (and scout) etc. For laughs I go to the Sec rant, etc. 

That place is a hoot!  

Way too many dawgs & aggies over there for my taste.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

Your post seems to imply that the PTB know what they're doing and are on the same page.  I don't think that's the case.  I think there are at least  2 or 3 factions behind the scenes (and, to some extent, in front of the scenes)  trying to take Auburn in different directions.  I'm not sure the folks trying to pull the strings are any smarter than the rest of us - they just have more money.

14 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Your post seems to imply that the PTB know what they're doing and are on the same page.  I don't think that's the case.  I think there are at least  2 or 3 factions behind the scenes (and, to some extent, in front of the scenes)  trying to take Auburn in different directions.  I'm not sure the folks trying to pull the strings are any smarter than the rest of us - they just have more money.

The money men wouldn't agree to cut the check, it's a hell of a lot of freaking $$.  They had no guarantee they'd be able to get anyone better than CGM, and they didn't want to fork out that kind of cash - they won't do it next year either. 

Gus will do what he does, he won't lose too many games to were they have to Chizik him out the door and the total nut to buy him out after they pay him his salary is still an obscene amount of money >>>+$26mm.  Promises of another bright future will be forthcoming, Gus will show the Admin all the returning players, and then he'll point to the recruiting class he's built once again and everything stays the same until 2021-2022 when the buyout reduces a little less than half what it is today. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Our last two QB coaches are now at SMU and Kansas....Just for the record.    And JMO but "developing a QB"  does not mean sending a recent HS graduate to play against SEC defenses right away.   Sometimes you have to do that but it's not ideal and I hope it's not necessary with Nix. 

So how many QBs has Gus recruited while at AU? Besides a little success with transfer QBs in their first year with no influence from Gus, how much success has any of them had? You can’t have it both ways. Either Gus suxs at judging QB talent or coaching up that talent or just his lack of ability to actually coach the offense. It has to be one of the three. I doubt it’s the first his judgement for talent because as I said most all of the ones their now were highly recruited players so other experts also saw their talent level. You can argue till your blue in the face but our offensive demise rest squarely at Gus’s feet.

32 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I doubt it’s the first his judgement for talent because as I said most all of the ones their now were highly recruited players so other experts also saw their talent level.

Shoot who knows....the HS guys who did not make it at AU have not been able to play elsewhere either .   and there have not been that many of them. White was good enough to play at most SEC schools except for injury issues. and if you have a Cam or a Nick, the guys behind them are not gonna play.   The fallout rate for HS quarterbacks coming to the SEC is pretty high and seems that many of the schools end up playing QBs that started somewhere else.   Transfers abound at the QB position all over the place.  

I don't know who "develops" QBs these days.  You can name some schools who have QBs who played from their HS days but most people don't know who the QB coaches were.....and I don't see Smart as responsible for the level of play of Ga QBs......either Fromm, Eason or Fields. 

Mostly unrelated,  but was amazed that in the game last night there were two guys who got to play who had been at their schools for 4 or 5 years and yet never started a game.  Guess they were going for the education 'cause almost no AU or SEC quarterback would stick it out for an entire career and stay on the bench. 

8 hours ago, keesler said:

When has a grad transfer looked at what's here (outside of Stidham?) 

We are hard core AU fans and even we don't know enough about the current QBs on this roster.  So how the hell would a kid who's been at another program know what AU has and what their odds of winning the job would be?  

So being HARDCORE fans you don't find it uneasy not knowing what the other QBs bring to the table? But it's known that the HC who recruited and work with these kids tried to get one Grad Transfer (KB) and had his eye on another (KT).  I'll let his actions show me what's in that QB room not the HARDCORE fans.

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Help us out, sizzle.

No I see what people mean but I think it's more about who you recruit. Coaching helps but I believe you either got it or you don't. Did Saban develope Tua? Or was he already a great player who just chose Tuscaloosa?

Just now, Sizzle said:

No I see what people mean but I think it's more about who you recruit. Coaching helps but I believe you either got it or you don't. Did Saban develope Tua? Or was he already a great player who just chose Tuscaloosa?

Apples and oranges. Saban made his name as a defensive coach, Gus wrote a book on his O...surely part of that repertoire is developing QB's.  It's been his rep thus far.

Archived