QB Tyree Jackson looking to transfer

PigskinPat

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

No I see what people mean but I think it's more about who you recruit. Coaching helps but I believe you either got it or you don't. Did Saban develope Tua? Or was he already a great player who just chose Tuscaloosa?

Saban happens to employ one of the best QB coaches in the conference, with years of experience in big time college football.  Offense ain’t Saban’s ball of wax, but he damn sure hires good guys to coach and they consistently field an effective product.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

So being HARDCORE fans you don't find it uneasy not knowing what the other QBs bring to the table? But it's known that the HC who recruited and work with these kids tried to get one Grad Transfer (KB) and had his eye on another (KT).  I'll let his actions show me what's in that QB room not the HARDCORE fans.

Everything about this offense is uneasy, unnerving, unproductive, unorganized, unprepared.  ☹️

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

No I see what people mean but I think it's more about who you recruit. Coaching helps but I believe you either got it or you don't. Did Saban develope Tua? Or was he already a great player who just chose Tuscaloosa?

Saban has Dan Enos as a QB coach. So no Saban didn’t develop Tua but he understands to hire the right person to do it. Dan Enos did wonders for Austin Allen during his time at Arkansas.

11 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

Watched Gus working with qb's...not impressed. Jalen Hurts is the only GT I would go for...and I would sell the farm for him...jmho

Havent seen the videos of him doing so yet...out of curiosity, why not impressed?

13 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

surely part of that repertoire is developing QB's

AU fans have decided that....but not sure that's correct.  

Running an offense and calling plays is not the same as coaching QBs.   We have had two guys with title as QB coach come and go... and another just hired who had that job elsewhere.    It seems to be a specialty.    As for bama…..they have a new OC about every year or two and yet their QBs have been pretty solid (or better than solid) and a bunch have transferred away from there too......SO... JMO there is no way to give any particular coach the credit.

As Sizzle said above....I agree.... a guy either has it or he does not have it.....in his head and in his heart.   And,  usually you don't know that until he is on campus playing against top defensive talent. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

AU fans have decided that....but not sure that's correct.  

Running an offense and calling plays is not the same as coaching QBs.   We have had two guys with title as QB coach come and go... and another just hired who had that job elsewhere.    It seems to be a specialty.    As for bama…..they have a new OC about every year or two and yet their QBs have been pretty solid (or better than solid) and a bunch have transferred away from there too......SO... JMO there is no way to give any particular coach the credit.

As Sizzle said above....I agree.... a guy either has it or he does not have it.....in his head and in his heart.   And,  usually you don't know that until he is on campus playing against top defensive talent. 

As to Gus developing QBs, I have to admit I bought into that early on.  With Todd then Cam when Gus was the OC sold me on the narrative.  It didn’t fall apart for me until 2015 and JJ’s total miss with the evaluation during prep for that season.

As for QB coaches and developing QBs, coaching QBs have gone through a paradigm shift.  Pat Sullivan was a guy that had it and his performance showed in practice and on the field.  Since then, the personal QB coach has come into vogue and it a fixture in the QB landscape.  Gus has been slow in accepting this as NM and SW was not allowed to have these coaches, but now it’s different with the recruitment of Stidham.  You’re right, it does seem to be a specialty.

The development of QBs can be helped tremendously by an experienced coach.  Take a look at Lane Kiffen at Bama, he took a non QB in Blake Sims and turned him into a QB who beat out a transfer from FSU in Jake Coker.  Both took them to the playoffs.  Since then, Saban has gotten OC’s the seem to know how to get as much as possible out of their QBs and have gone on to better positions in the coaching world (ok Sark maybe an exception).  The QB situation at Bama has changed as they are getting top level talent which is different from what they had before Kiffen showed up.  They can get any coach they want, just like they can get any student athlete they want.

Our situation is little different as we hire QB coaches with little expreince in coaching the position and hope for the guy that has  the “it” factor.  That’s why a good QB coach is essential, one that can develop the starter and have him pushed by the backup.  We haven’t had that for a while.  You mention that you can give any particular coach the credit.  Man, that is the essence of a good position coach.  It’s not about the teacher, it’s about the student, the teacher knows he/she has done their job is when the student succeeds.

You say that the QB position is in his head and in his heart, very true.  Every QB prospect has those expectation coming in, it takes the QB coach to bring out the best.  We’ve relied on transfers way too often and that fact alone affects our recruiting of top level recruits at the QB position in a negative way.  We have to stop that trend, but our coach may not be able to stop the trend this year as he will be on the hot seat if things don’t turn out well this year.  It’s no way to run a program after 6 years.  JMO.

38 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

As to Gus developing QBs, I have to admit I bought into that early on.  With Todd then Cam when Gus was the OC sold me on the narrative.  It didn’t fall apart for me until 2015 and JJ’s total miss with the evaluation during prep for that season.

As for QB coaches and developing QBs, coaching QBs have gone through a paradigm shift.  Pat Sullivan was a guy that had it and his performance showed in practice and on the field.  Since then, the personal QB coach has come into vogue and it a fixture in the QB landscape.  Gus has been slow in accepting this as NM and SW was not allowed to have these coaches, but now it’s different with the recruitment of Stidham.  You’re right, it does seem to be a specialty.

The development of QBs can be helped tremendously by an experienced coach.  Take a look at Lane Kiffen at Bama, he took a non QB in Blake Sims and turned him into a QB who beat out a transfer from FSU in Jake Coker.  Both took them to the playoffs.  Since then, Saban has gotten OC’s the seem to know how to get as much as possible out of their QBs and have gone on to better positions in the coaching world (ok Sark maybe an exception).  The QB situation at Bama has changed as they are getting top level talent which is different from what they had before Kiffen showed up.  They can get any coach they want, just like they can get any student athlete they want.

Our situation is little different as we hire QB coaches with little expreince in coaching the position and hope for the guy that has  the “it” factor.  That’s why a good QB coach is essential, one that can develop the starter and have him pushed by the backup.  We haven’t had that for a while.  You mention that you can give any particular coach the credit.  Man, that is the essence of a good position coach.  It’s not about the teacher, it’s about the student, the teacher knows he/she has done their job is when the student succeeds.

You say that the QB position is in his head and in his heart, very true.  Every QB prospect has those expectation coming in, it takes the QB coach to bring out the best.  We’ve relied on transfers way too often and that fact alone affects our recruiting of top level recruits at the QB position in a negative way.  We have to stop that trend, but our coach may not be able to stop the trend this year as he will be on the hot seat if things don’t turn out well this year.  It’s no way to run a program after 6 years.  JMO.

not sure I agree with all that but a good commentary....thanks

PS...we are only looking at 5 years of recruiting and three years of juco transfers.....not much to draw some of those conclusions on....bama has washed out at least many HS QBs as we have but their QBs have the luxury of an NFL quality line about every year.  You or I might be able to win 7 or 8 games there...

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

not sure I agree with all that but a good commentary....thanks

PS...we are only looking at 5 years of recruiting and three years of juco transfers.....not much to draw some of those conclusions on....bama has washed out at least many HS QBs as we have but their QBs have the luxury of an NFL quality line about every year.  You or I might be able to win 7 or 8 games there...

There's something to be said about a program that sees the need to surround their most important position on the team with a quality support staff.  A QB is only as good as his line, RBs/WRs - same for defense. 

Anyone associated with football knows games are won and lost in the trenches.  To ignore that fact and to refuse to address it in recruiting for the trenches year after year after year shows poor planning and the results are an unproductive and ineffective product on the field.  

On 12/27/2018 at 2:20 PM, AUloggerhead said:

Sure.  Bring in him.  If he doesn't work out at QB, then Gus could always convert him to a triple-threat QB/TE.  Or pack on a few more pounds to that 6-7 frame and convert him to an OT.  No risk win-win! 

You beat me to it.

I am all for it - if he is willing to play another position on offense or defense.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, twilli13 said:

Havent seen the videos of him doing so yet...out of curiosity, why not impressed?

Lack of corrective instruction. Lack of hands on. Talks and points  but is more about the schemes. His qbs all have bad habits he never corrects...

Archived